how to fix up bulkhead connector?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Del, et al: I'm getting a bunch of voltage drop anomalies. I know you've discussed this before, and I did search for it, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. If you don't want to repeat yourselves, could you please point me to the pertinent thread? Do you need to remove and clean up both the interior and the underhood sides of the connector in order to clean it properly? Thanks a lot.

The "go to" article is MAD electrical

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

While you are at it, consider headlight relays. There's another article about that there at MAD

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/brighter-headlights.shtml

and "Crackedback" on here sells a nice easy relay kit for that

You can buy new terminals for the bulkhead connector (and most other connectors) called "Packard 56" terminals. I got mine from "clips and terminals"

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Packard_56_Series_Male_16_14_Gauge_Terminals_GM_p/w31c030.htm

Be careful you get the correct female ones. The type used by GM with the tensioner tongue that folds down are NOT correct for most mopar connectors. You want the kind that "curl" in from the edges

like these

A15504-1.jpg

Also realize that some problems are caused by a flakey ignition switch or switch connector. In that case you might consider operating the underhood loads from a relay

One big problem that drop causes, is that it fiddles the sensing / power wire for the regulator, and causes over (voltage) charging.

On my duster i replaced all the connectors.Its not really that hard once you know how to get the clips out . You really cant clean the female connectors.Just replace all of them and be done with it.Good luck

Once they've gotten hot the integrity of the metal is toast. No pun intended. They are also usually glued into the plastic to the point that putting a new connector in is not an option. I drill out both sides and run a length of 10ga wire through and splice it in. If you want to you can add a bullet connector on one end.

I come from the pinball/arcade hobby. It's typical, especially on late 70's/early 80's Bally and Gottlieb pins, to repin everything. Connector pins are only rated for so many plug/unplugs and the plating wears, oxidation, etc..cleaning them might be a band aid fix, but not the proper, long term one. Buy some decent crimpers, learn how to properly crimp, and repin.

... Do you need to remove and clean up both the interior and the underhood sides of the connector in order to clean it properly? ...
I did, in both my A's. I bought a release tool for the females (~$7 auto electric web site), along w/ new terminals. The females are hard to clean even outside the housings, but I did w/ a small file. Many posts on releasing the male terminals, and they are easy to clean once out. If your car is 1963 or 1965 (please, always tell us), you won't have the "melted bulkhead" concerns of all other years.

Silver loaded dielectric grease will usually restore very mildly corroded connections to full integrity, and make them even better than new. But it won't fix burned up ones for sure. You can find that on eBay and at many industrial supply houses.

And, there is a product called Cool-Amp that is rubbed onto metals to give them a silver plating. But the Cool-Amp in particular is pricey, so is not a good choice if you are doing just one car. But, you can restore a lot of older auto electrical parts to better-than-new condition with it; I restored the headlight switch in my '62 Dart with it and it is as good as new now. This car is so original that I am trying to restore/maintain as many original parts as I can.

buy a Cable TV installer a burger next time you see one at a restaurant and ask him for a tube of his "Dielectric grease". Pack the plug with it and forget about it. Non conductive, non hardening and can be wiped off with a paper towel. should be used for all electric plugs.

I have seen the Packard terminals on ebay with tinned coating. These don't corrode as fast as bare brass or copper. Felt gaskets in these connectors isn't much for protection. Grease will collect dust and dirt. Use it sparingly.

-
Back