how to have the car to install Sub frame connectors

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ok I have the connectors made. How did you have the car sitting. Ive heard to have it sitting on the ground. Ive also heard to have it in the air with the suspension hanging. I just want to know the proper way to install.

IMO, I really doesn't matter!

I'd put them under the car, check your door gaps and weld them on. Sometimes I jack them up against the floor pan to take some sag out.

Good to know thanks Rob. Im going to bolt mine in to start. So I was hoping to get it up off the ground a bit so i can squeeze under and have room to work.

I did mine with the car up on stands(no suspension hanging),clamped in place then used a 2x4 on a small floor jack to snug them up close to frames,then welded.:D

A unibody will flex. Some more than others. As it sits on the ground would be best in my opinion. If its been wrecked, on a frame machine would be best.
If you plan to have a muffler shop run dual exhaust or whatever, they could weld the subframe connectors in at the same time for a few more coins.

I put mine on stands (suspension hanging) and used a laser to make sure the frame was flat, adjusted as neccesary and adjusted the doors to fit the flat frame afterwards.
Didn't want to help the frame stay twisted if that is what it tried to do, so I made sure it was flat first.

Ok on the driver side what did you do with the brake line running back. Mine is bolted about right where I need to put the connector. I think that if I unbolt it i could get away with moving it up just a bit?

Ok on the driver side what did you do with the brake line running back. Mine is bolted about right where I need to put the connector. I think that if I unbolt it i could get away with moving it up just a bit?

That's what I did.

Thats kinda what I thought. I got to make some brackets for the rear to bolt them up. Hope to have them in this weekend. So if I got this right you had 2 stands on the rear and one on each LCA holding the car up correct?

Thats kinda what I thought. I got to make some brackets for the rear to bolt them up. Hope to have them in this weekend. So if I got this right you had 2 stands on the rear and one on each LCA holding the car up correct?

That's what I did, I suppose there are other methods. I wanted mine done just as it sits when on the ground, under full load on the suspension.

I got mine secured and then I leveled the car by placing a level on the rocker on both sides and one across the front of the car, essentially I just wanted it as level as I could get it.

I can jack one corner of my car up now and the doors will still open and close as if it were sitting on the ground.

Keep safety in mind as always when working under the car.

What a timely thread! I just coated some subframe connectors for my own car last night (gasp!!! yeah I got to work on MY stuff for the first time in years LOL)

I just unbolted the bracket and pushed it up out of the way also.
My connectors are 2"x3" .085 wall laying flat so There wasn't much room left up there, but the line doesn't rub on it.

My connectors are 2"x3" .085 wall laying flat so There wasn't much room left up there, but the line doesn't rub on it.

Thats kinda what I had thought. I have some alterations to make to mine but I got the base of them down.

I just slit a piece of gas line and slipped over it for piece of mind.

Out side some minor trimming here is the final product

Attachments

• photobucket-2028-1345788329531.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 448
Ok I need some advice. I have the front about where I want it. The rear however there is a gap. I do not see it hitting anywhere. It is however hitting in the middle of the floor which i expected. What do yall think is this ok? ive tried jacking the rear part up but it takes the car with it.

Attachments

• frame connector.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 449
  • frame connector2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 415
Before the car wasnt quite level. I installed one with just bolts to see how the car reacted. Judging from the level across the rocker its almost dead center now. I hope thats a good sign.

-
Back