How to remove?

-
What my wife dont know wont kill me...

Shes always home... lol I try to think the same way.

rabbit hole time - have the urge to clean anything there doc LOL

if you haven't taken the pushrods and lifters out you should mark where they come from, it will be good info, mark then "cylinder 1 exhaust, cylinder 1, intake and so on.

I though you had a ticket to come down and clean it all for me? It's a dirty sum beech in here... lol.

Can this all come off in 1 piece?

20200322_173929.jpg

You mean the balancer and pulley? Easier to just remove the pulley so you can get your puller in there for the balancer.

Also, when you pull that front cover, expect some coolant and other junk to fall "just wrong" and wind up in the pan. This is where fully draining the block help. Often the drain plugs on the sides of the block are frozen though, but you could use a turkey baster and some vacuum hose to suck put the block first. I hate getting any moisture in the pan..

jack up the back of the car.....let the water drain from the front of the block...

take the pulley off....i you need a balancer puller let me know I can drop it off on Monday at lunch time...lol

Still time to drain the block by removing the drain plugs on both sides. Sometimes you need to break through the crud behind the drain plugs with a punch or small screwdriver.

jack up the back of the car.....let the water drain from the front of the block...

take the pulley off....i you need a balancer puller let me know I can drop it off on Monday at lunch time...lol

I probably will lol. I tried unbolting the balancer and that sucker just turns the entire engine lol.

Jack up the back, the front is already super high, my old *** cant bend over that far all day :lol:

So I guess I'm done for the night. Just in time too because these are just about to finish.

20200322_180238.jpg

20200322_180321.jpg

@DentalDart
There are two bolts coming up through the oil pan into the bottom of the timing cover.
Got to remove those before trying to remove the cover.
Might even have to lift the engine a little to get to them, and you will appreciate the room putting things back.

Rabbit hole again. :D

Ribs look great.

Also, when you pull that front cover, expect some coolant and other junk to fall "just wrong" and wind up in the pan. This is where fully draining the block help. Often the drain plugs on the sides of the block are frozen though, but you could use a turkey baster and some vacuum hose to suck put the block first. I hate getting any moisture in the pan..

Still time to drain the block by removing the drain plugs on both sides. Sometimes you need to break through the crud behind the drain plugs with a punch or small screwdriver.

Something I'm scared of doing, taking the drain plugs out.

I'll drain the oil tomorrow.

impact wrench will get it off....lol.....or i will show you another way using the starter.....give you a call and let you know went i can head your way

@DentalDart
There are two bolts coming up through the oil pan into the bottom of the timing cover.
Got to remove those before trying to remove the cover.
Might even have to lift the engine a little to get to them, and you will appreciate the room putting things back.

Rabbit hole again. :D

Ribs look great.

I think I read that in the FSM, something about "have to drop the pan a little to get the cover off." That'll have to be a tomorrow project.

Besides the ribs I've got a little princess in my arms.

I do truly appreciate all the help from everyone, this place and you guys (and gals if any) are the best!

20200322_181342.jpg

20200322_181431.jpg

Touche' sir!

That's actually the 1 thing I dont want in this car lol.

I know. That's what makes it funny, haha.
I've always wound up using an impact gun. I got a 1/2" plug in electric one years ago for a screaming deal that is probably used 90% of the time for flywheel and balancer bolts. Don't know what I'd do without it.

I've always wound up using an impact gun. I got a 1/2" plug in electric one years ago for a screaming deal that is probably used 90% of the time for flywheel and balancer bolts. Don't know what I'd do without it.
I did a front diff swap today with my dewalt 1/2” cordless impact. Every bolt.

Couldnt wait for someone to give you advice, had to take it upon yourself to figure it out? no fair!
We make it too easy. I have been backing off with the help a bit. The information is out there and a keystroke or two from the poster can get to the same place as I do. Nothing against the OP (DD) You learn more if you find the answer yourself instead of having the answer handed to you. Just my opinion.

I would love to have a 1/2" cordless version. I would hate to pay for it though, LOL. My 3/8" works great for most bolts where a cord wouldn't work, but every once in a while..

We make it too easy. I have been backing off with the help a bit. The information is out there and a keystroke or two from the poster can get to the same place as I do. Nothing against the OP (DD) You learn more if you find the answer yourself instead of having the answer handed to you. Just my opinion.

I always search before I come asking, sometimes sifting through 20 threads gets tiresome though, it's actually easier to do the search through google and link it to search this site.

Also I'm not good about reading the FSM either,not enough colored pictures for my simple mind :rofl:

You need to put it all back together, install a blower, get that belt good and tight. Rev the snot out of it. That'll do it. lol

A blower? Without rebuilding the engine, having the proper camshaft, proper crankshaft, timing dialed in, rear end gear sizes and TC suited for the application????

That's blasphemy around these parts... let's do it! :rofl:

I have a cordless drill, cordless impact, air drill and air impact... I use only my hand tools 99% of the time. I read to much about people saying you can break things spinning the bolts/nuts to fast and I break enough with hand tools. I twisted my other metal tranny fluid line today at the fitting because I'm a dummy.

I have a cordless drill, cordless impact, air drill and air impact... I use only my hand tools 99% of the time. I read to much about people saying you can break things spinning the bolts/nuts to fast and I break enough with hand tools. I twisted my other metal tranny fluid line today at the fitting because I'm a dummy.

I mostly use power tools for disassembly. I'll use them during assembly sometimes too, but always finish tightening by hand. I've had too many fasteners come loose later that were installed without that final grunt..

-
Back