I did NOT build an engine dolly!!!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Even though I thought I did. Ya know in my life, I've had a LOT of backyard projects, and MOST of the time they hang together, and after a bit of tinkering and modification, they do what I had intended. NOT THIS TIME!!!

I had previously hacked this piece of frame together into a "T" to hold a HF tire machine. It could still be used for that

IMG_0138cs_zpsaxdf41ek.jpg

Below, built some "hitch receiver" style wheels and sockets to plug 'em in

IMG_0139cs_zps8iqb6wig.jpg

Like so

IMG_0141cs_zpswe1qrfmi.jpg

So I toss it under the car, make a few adjustments, get under with the beater old heavy IR 3/4 impact, and rattle the 4 K member bolts out. I was SO cool with myself!!!! Lifted the hoist, and there it sat. Then, the rear wheel twisted over!!! WTF!!!! The frame is twisting!!!

IMG_0143cs_zpssoqrzzq7.jpg

And right after the rear wheel buckled under, it was just "sitting" there and...........

IMG_0144cs_zpsxhtiet6r.jpg

Dang man. Two steps forward and one step back.

i think everyone is missing the point here... Those welds held up great. Good job.

Cool design though.

Hope you didn't bend the p/s pump pulley. It hangs very low so it gets bent often. That makes it a popular item here.

looks like it needed gussests.

Why put the wheels on moment arms? Weld on axles right onto the channel ends and eliminate the torque. Good idea that you had with this!

Double up the channel. back to back, will be very strong then. stitch weld together. Better yet use 2 inch, thick wall square tubing. I know you already had this steel.

Why put the wheels on moment arms? Weld on axles right onto the channel ends and eliminate the torque. Good idea that you had with this!

I wanted it high for two reasons........you have to get under the car to diddle with the crossmember and install / remove the K bolts, and to wheel a cherry picker under there.

The next one won't bend, LOL, you can bet on that!!

Today..........is rain..........By the way these temps are NOT typical April up here. They are at least 15F above normal!!!

http://www.kxly.com/weather

Attachments

• wx.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 463
I wanted it high for two reasons........you have to get under the car to diddle with the crossmember and install / remove the K bolts, and to wheel a cherry picker under there.

The next one won't bend, LOL, you can bet on that!!

Today..........is rain..........By the way these temps are NOT typical April up here. They are at least 15F above normal!!!

http://www.kxly.com/weather

OK, that makes sense. I know that you'll get it done!:burnout:

I built one out of wood, worked great. On concrete tho, a bit different. Used Casters.

diddle with the crossmember - is that what they're calling now... (hey, Karl is sleeping or it would be him saying it!)

You put the channel in the wrong orientation. It would be much stronger if the C was sideways rather than upside down. Put the C sideways and then weld your uprights to the backside. You'll get a lot longer weld and the C will resist the twisting.

I won't be using channel again. Only reason I did is it was already close to configuration. Hell I figured it would be plenty strong

Today is rainy. But I DID get out and "plasma'ed" the wheel sockets off the old frame. Square tube is next!!

The main reason I built this is to get the Dart back together. I don't want to bang things all up getting the engine/ headers in. Since I have a hoist (and the neighbor has one now, in his shop) this makes a lot of sense. Plus, "it might" come out of there again sometime.

On a side note, the K member in this car "just might be" toast which is what some front end shop told the seller. It will require a lot of rebuild to repair the pass side LCA pivot.

Well today I took some 2x2 tube and redid this thing. The rear tire is flat LOL. I think this might actually hold up!!

IMG_0168cs_zpsmnb4rnk8.jpg

IMG_0166cs_zpsuvu7nhtd.jpg

IMG_0167cs_zps4ofzeshx.jpg

-
Back