I need some schooling on Gen 3 Hemis differences. Power v Reliabilty v $$$ v Fitting into a '68 barracuda fastback

-

peterOZ

Reaction score
I need some educating if i can.

Currently ready to drop in my 500 h/p 440 into my fastback after 3 years of getting to this stage. I really like the idea of the gen 3.
I don't know much about these but i like the power and reliability they bring with a low maintenance engine. Drive to work in the morning & hit the track in afternoon.

Which gen 3 hemi should i be concidering ?

Outcome i am seeking:
A motor that will drop in without cutting up Eng bay too much. not interested in turbo & all its plumbing at this stage.
700 - 800 h/p + range with potential to swap blower and meet exceed the 10000 h/p.
I understand this may mean custom rods/ pistons/ maybe block to achieve desired outcome.

-How do these fit in a 68 barracuda
-where can i buy this motor setup
-what is needed to fit? ( k frame, radiator , is there clearance for bigger brake set up in eng bay, are custom headers needed )

much appreciated if i can be steered to any links to help me with my questions and / or any advise you can provide me.

Thanks.

Hey PeterOz,

Go to the members restoration section and search for SRT8CUDA BUILD.

There you will find one of the top Gen 3 Hemi transplants ever completed by one of our members , Real Wing.

Top notch build with incredible doucmentation on this site.

Cheers!!

Before you get too deep into recommendations for the install, could you clarify one thing?
Seeing as you're in Australia, is your Barracuda RHD or LHD? This affects any recommendations for aftermarket K frames and headers...
I realize it's most likely LHD, but that depends on when it was imported and affected by the 25-year rule; which required a RHD conversion...

I need some educating if i can.

Currently ready to drop in my 500 h/p 440 into my fastback after 3 years of getting to this stage. I really like the idea of the gen 3.
I don't know much about these but i like the power and reliability they bring with a low maintenance engine. Drive to work in the morning & hit the track in afternoon.

Which gen 3 hemi should i be concidering ?

Outcome i am seeking:
A motor that will drop in without cutting up Eng bay too much. not interested in turbo & all its plumbing at this stage.
700 - 800 h/p + range with potential to swap blower and meet exceed the 10000 h/p.
I understand this may mean custom rods/ pistons/ maybe block to achieve desired outcome.

-How do these fit in a 68 barracuda
-where can i buy this motor setup
-what is needed to fit? ( k frame, radiator , is there clearance for bigger brake set up in eng bay, are custom headers needed )

much appreciated if i can be steered to any links to help me with my questions and / or any advise you can provide me.

Thanks.

Based on the power level and other criteria, I would bet you will have to jump to a Hellcat. Or even better, one of @Johnny Mac SC 426's at 900hp.

700+ hp seems a little unreasonable for what it seems you wants. Not saying it can't be done, 408 has one, just seems like NA is a little more high strung than I would guess you want.

I could be wrong, it's not like I have a 700+ hp NA motor to compare it to. Just saying.

Based on the power level and other criteria, I would bet you will have to jump to a Hellcat. Or even better, one of @Johnny Mac SC 426's at 900hp.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

700+ hp seems a little unreasonable for what it seems you wants. Not saying it can't be done, 408 has one, just seems like NA is a little more high strung than I would guess you want.

I could be wrong, it's not like I have a 700+ hp NA motor to compare it to. Just saying.

Thanks! Yup, we just soft launched an N/A 426 hemi at 610 or so HP, A whipple supercharged Hemi at 870 advertised, and another is in the works with more.
Here's your comparison point for a new crate engine, all forged, new hellcat/BGE block, etc. PM me if you'd like more info. Not sure how realistic we are with you being in AU, but happy to talk.
I realize this is very little info, and very poor advertising, these are just so new, they aren't even on the website yet.
1680629978500.png

Mopar 426CI Gen III HEMI Stroker Crate Engine LongBlock

Part #: PS426CT $ 13499

HP & Torque: 615 HP / 525 FT LBS
Compression Ratio: 10:48:1
Apache Hemi Aluminum Heads
Forged Stroker Crank
Forged Connecting Rods
Forged Pistons

BLOCK:
  • Hellcat / Apache OEM Engine Block
    Cross Bolted Main Caps
    4.0905 Bore
ROTATING ASSEMBLY:
  • Forged Stroker Crankshaft
    4.050" Stroke
    Forged 6.125" connecting rods w/ 150,000 psi bolts
    Forged pistons
CYLINDER HEADS:
  • BluePrint Engines Assembled Apache cylinder heads
  • 2.140" INTAKE, 1.650" SODIUM FILLED EXHAUST VALVES
  • 73cc Chamber
CAM SPECS:
  • Cam Type: Roller
    .610 Intake .611 Exhaust
    231 Intake / 255 Exhaust duration
    @ .050 - 113 degree lobe separation
ALSO INCLUDES:
  • Coils
  • Spark Plugs
  • Valve covers
  • Timing Cover
  • Water Pump
  • Water Neck
  • Thermostat
  • Harmonic Balancer
  • Muscle Car swap oil pan
    Dyno test results shipped with engine
NOTES:
  • Features 2013+ 58X reluctor wheel
  • 2009+ Crankshaft spacing
  • 2009+ Car timing cover
  • VVT locked out
  • MDS – Eliminated
Part #: PS426CTF

ALSO INCLUDES (all above plus below):
  • Fabricated intake manifold and fuel rails
  • 37 lb Injectors
  • Throttle body
  • Full Holley ECU and Harness
  • Throttle Pedal
  • All sensors
SUPERCHARGED PS426SCT

HP & Torque: 872 HP / 764 FT LBS

• Whipple Gen V 3.0L Supercharger
  • Hellcat Throttle Body
  • 81LB/HR lb Injectors

imagejpeg_0-2-jpg.jpg

imagejpeg_0-5-jpg.jpg

img_9628-jpg.jpg

imagejpeg_0-6-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow, they come with Holley dominators and an engine harness. That’s actually a really good selling point. I’m not sure if it’s possible with the dominators but do you guys lock the tune file, or do you let the owners have at it with a caveat?

Oh wow, they come with Holley dominators and an engine harness. That’s actually a really good selling point. I’m not sure if it’s possible with the dominators but do you guys lock the tune file, or do you let the owners have at it with a caveat?
They're left unlocked so users can adjust them as needed (we recommend professional assistance with this) as occasionally someone with say a heavy car, or a highway gears, etc, may need minor adjustments.

Thanks! Yup, we just soft launched an N/A 426 hemi at 610 or so HP, A whipple supercharged Hemi at 870 advertised, and another is in the works with more.
Here's your comparison point for a new crate engine, all forged, new hellcat/BGE block, etc. PM me if you'd like more info. Not sure how realistic we are with you being in AU, but happy to talk.
I realize this is very little info, and very poor advertising, these are just so new, they aren't even on the website yet.
View attachment 1716073130
Mopar 426CI Gen III HEMI Stroker Crate Engine LongBlock

Part #: PS426CT $ 13499

HP & Torque: 615 HP / 525 FT LBS
Compression Ratio: 10:48:1
Apache Hemi Aluminum Heads
Forged Stroker Crank
Forged Connecting Rods
Forged Pistons

BLOCK:
  • Hellcat / Apache OEM Engine Block
    Cross Bolted Main Caps
    4.0905 Bore
ROTATING ASSEMBLY:
  • Forged Stroker Crankshaft
    4.050" Stroke
    Forged 6.125" connecting rods w/ 150,000 psi bolts
    Forged pistons
CYLINDER HEADS:
  • BluePrint Engines Assembled Apache cylinder heads
  • 2.140" INTAKE, 1.650" SODIUM FILLED EXHAUST VALVES
  • 73cc Chamber
CAM SPECS:
  • Cam Type: Roller
    .610 Intake .611 Exhaust
    231 Intake / 255 Exhaust duration
    @ .050 - 113 degree lobe separation
ALSO INCLUDES:
  • Coils
  • Spark Plugs
  • Valve covers
  • Timing Cover
  • Water Pump
  • Water Neck
  • Thermostat
  • Harmonic Balancer
  • Muscle Car swap oil pan
    Dyno test results shipped with engine
NOTES:
  • Features 2013+ 58X reluctor wheel
  • 2009+ Crankshaft spacing
  • 2009+ Car timing cover
  • VVT locked out
  • MDS – Eliminated
Part #: PS426CTF

• Fabricated intake manifold and fuel rails
  • 37 lb Injectors
  • Throttle body
  • Full Holley Dominator engine ECU and Harness
  • Throttle Pedal
  • All sensors
SUPERCHARGED PS426SCT

HP & Torque: 872 HP / 764 FT LBS

• Whipple Gen V 3.0L Supercharger
  • Hellcat Throttle Body
  • 81LB/HR lb Injectors

View attachment 1716073131

View attachment 1716073132

View attachment 1716073133

View attachment 1716073134
Those are super nice! Do y’all have non VVT motor early GenIII blocks or complete crates

Those are super nice! Do y’all have non VVT motor early GenIII blocks or complete crates
We lock out the VVT, and delete the MDS on all of them. They are all BGE / Hellcat blocks, but we could build one with the earlier reluctors if you were trying to swap one into something and retain a pre 2013 factory ECU. that's about the only reason to want the early block IMO..other than maybe a little spacing to make up on OEM front pulleys.

I was about to comment on that ebay link you posted and say THAT right there, is why we're going to absolutely crush the competition with these. They want 36500 for those? thats 12,500 more than ours in a similar config... yowza.

Depending on what transmission you go with will determine how much tunnel work will be needed. The slant six k member will work. Better fitment would be Reilly Motorsport Alterkation coil over setup. Or Hemmy Denny setup. You will have more room than a 440. You won’t need fender well headers for sure. I have a low cost radiator in mine cost me $148 and has been in mine for 14 years now. With a tauarus fan. Mine is a stock 04 5.7. Not that much hp. But great for what I do with it. Have over 125,000 miles on it in 14 years with no problems. I used the 545rfe trans so had to cut the tunnel. I’m guessing you will be going with a manual transmission so there will be some cutting involved. I think the 727 is the only one you can fit with the swing of a hammer on your tunnel.

Depending on what transmission you go with will determine how much tunnel work will be needed. The slant six k member will work. Better fitment would be Reilly Motorsport Alterkation coil over setup. Or Hemmy Denny setup. You will have more room than a 440. You won’t need fender well headers for sure. I have a low cost radiator in mine cost me $148 and has been in mine for 14 years now. With a tauarus fan. Mine is a stock 04 5.7. Not that much hp. But great for what I do with it. Have over 125,000 miles on it in 14 years with no problems. I used the 545rfe trans so had to cut the tunnel. I’m guessing you will be going with a manual transmission so there will be some cutting involved. I think the 727 is the only one you can fit with the swing of a hammer on your tunnel.
We can pair the N/A versions with a Tkx, The big versions can have that or a T56. our Auto options would be a 4l65 based trans for the N/A, or a 4L80 based trans for the big ones. Yes i know those will take some tunnel work. no way around it. We do have plans for an 8HP based trans also. I think you're right that the 5 speed manual would be the only one that went in with a hammer, or as you said, if someone wants to hang a 727 off the back and do a manual V/B or figure out a creative way to do kickdown. I would figure monst sinking 30+K into an engine package, probably aren't keeping factory torsion bars and front suspension, but i could be wrong. Thats why we still offer the SB strokers....some will just want a 408/727 that bolts in like factory.

I would figure monst sinking 30+K into an engine package, probably aren't keeping factory torsion bars and front suspension, but i could be wrong. Thats why we still offer the SB strokers....some will just want a 408/727 that bolts in like factory.

I for one would disagree. Why add another $5K+ to a project when it could be argued that it doesn't add much? The header room idea could be nice, but my brother just got done notching his frame rail and oil pan for the coil over specific headers he bought to go with his Control Freaks front end. Add that he has to add steering stops and $1000 each custom wheels to get his fenders to bolt on and I'm not sure I would agree that a coil over conversion is an easier step.

Just me, but if you are doing a new tunnel for some aftermarket transmission anyways, the Holley motor mounts and a '73+ k-frame is the bomb. But I am biased, just like everyone that has gone the other direction.

I for one would disagree. Why add another $5K+ to a project when it could be argued that it doesn't add much? The header room idea could be nice, but my brother just got done notching his frame rail and oil pan for the coil over specific headers he bought to go with his Control Freaks front end. Add that he has to add steering stops and $1000 each custom wheels to get his fenders to bolt on and I'm not sure I would agree that a coil over conversion is an easier step.

Just me, but if you are doing a new tunnel for some aftermarket transmission anyways, the Holley motor mounts and a '73+ k-frame is the bomb. But I am biased, just like everyone that has gone the other direction.
Thats where we leave it up to the customer :) your call if you want to keep as much of te factory stuff as you can or not. Holley does have alot of nice swap stuff to make it easy. I guess i'm looking at it as if you have to have a T56, vs a TKX...or want a big OD automatic...you're going to sacrifice somewhere. be it fab work, more swap parts, cost, etc. I have an HDK on one car, and factory torsion bars on another. I see both sides.

Thats where we leave it up to the customer :) your call if you want to keep as much of te factory stuff as you can or not. Holley does have alot of nice swap stuff to make it easy. I guess i'm looking at it as if you have to have a T56, vs a TKX...or want a big OD automatic...you're going to sacrifice somewhere. be it fab work, more swap parts, cost, etc. I have an HDK on one car, and factory torsion bars on another. I see both sides.

Absolutely, to each their own. I wouldn't call anyone wrong for going to an aftermarket front suspension, just giving a different opinion.

And I've always been so bucks down that the idea of dropping $5k+ all at once so I can set my car on the ground makes me shudder. So there is that bias as well.

Either way, it comes down to what the owner wants and I (hopefully) would be the last to tell some they are doing it wrong. Do it the way they want or don't do it at all.

My brother did the Control Freaks set up (package deal with a bunch of stuff) and is putting a standard 4 speed behind his 6.4. I love his car, it will be bad *** when he is done with it. He's done some things different than I would have but I'm not going to argue with him about them, they are for his car not mine. And none of those things take away from how much I like his car.

Can you disclose the price point for the PS426CTF and a T-56?
1680806089460.png

The site is resizing anything i post into a little tiny size. A N/A 426, with full engine management, complete billet pulleys, stell bell, clutch, t56, holley terminator, pedal, etc. is $27099 basically shipped as seen below
img_9628-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1716074127

The site is resizing anything i post into a little tiny size. A N/A 426, with full engine management, complete billet pulleys, stell bell, clutch, t56, holley dominator, pedal, etc. is $27099 basically shipped as seen below
View attachment 1716074128

That’s quite a package you guys have put together. $9.5k cheaper than the eBay link posted, that’s enough saved to do the suspension. Or if you’re cool as hell a twin turbo.

Wow that is a pretty good value especially with the dominator ECU and not the terminator.

I happen to be registered for Drag Week and my car just needs a converter change to handle this power level. If you want someone to test it in a drag and drive environment I'd be happy to stuff it in my 68 Barracuda. The fuel system, the rear axle, the chassis, it is all ready for this power level and it has already done 8 drag weeks. Just PM my marketing guy(ME) if you are interested. Just kidding....kind of! lol

Seriously though that seems like a great setup!https://images.holley.com/027-hot-rod-drag-week-2021-day-5-holley.jpg

Wow that is a pretty good value especially with the dominator ECU and not the terminator.

I happen to be registered for Drag Week and my car just needs a converter change to handle this power level. If you want someone to test it in a drag and drive environment I'd be happy to stuff it in my 68 Barracuda. The fuel system, the rear axle, the chassis, it is all ready for this power level and it has already done 8 drag weeks. Just PM my marketing guy(ME) if you are interested. Just kidding....kind of! lol

Seriously though that seems like a great setup!https://images.holley.com/027-hot-rod-drag-week-2021-day-5-holley.jpg
Do you have pics of this beast you own

The eBay link is 1000hp

at $12500 more than the one I have making 900 and turning down to 860, that gives me alot of room to grow when the next version makes 1100 :p. These online sellers and their "Mopar Markups" are ridiculous. I'm going to keep vertically integrating ours until until it's literally the same, or less than our comparable LS engines.

Guys I need to clarify, total mis-type on my part, but it is a Terminator. IDK what made me type dominator other than i own one. The BP's are terminators, which have been very user friendly and great to use!.

at $12500 more than the one I have making 900 and turning down to 860, that gives me alot of room to grow when the next version makes 1100 :p. These online sellers and their "Mopar Markups" are ridiculous. I'm going to keep vertically integrating ours until until it's literally the same, or less than our comparable LS engines.
I was just using that for reference. Y’all s reputation is better. I am so glad somebody that is reputable are building these packages. I’m f it could be knocked down to LS cost would be amazing but do not see that happening.

-
Back