I think I f'd up

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Well we had went for a ride and I noticed my steering wheel/column was lose.So I was tighten up the two bolt under the column the two close to the seat and I snapped both bolts in half.What do I do.

Can you try to Drill and easy out the broken bolts and replace them?

There not really any space to get to them.

broke002.jpg

broke001.jpg

your car is ruined take it to a junk yard ASAP.... or you can give it to me and I will dispose of it....... ya, dispose of it ;)

What a lame response. SOMEBODY got to it to put it together. That somebody put his pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us. You wanna own an old car? Then learn how to open your eyes and figure stuff out. With an attitude like that, you may as well go buy an old Hyundai.

how about welding the end of another bolt or nut onto it and back it out with a socket from there?

If memory serves me correctly, they are splined like a wheel stud and press in. Been a while since I took one apart, but I think that's how they are assembled. It's not like it's three feet thick of disassembly there to find out.

We have all done that , you'll figure it out . Freaks you out at first , just relax . AT LEAST YOUR NOT DRIVING A HYUNDAI !
See if you can grab it with a small vice grip , if not drill it out or get it from behind .

Aren't these studs where nuts went on or am I loosing my mind? If they are you will drive them out backwards and put new ones in. If they are regular bolts, it does look like you have plenty of the threads left to get Vice Grips on and screw them out.

I got one side out but cant get the other side out.I made a new bolt to go on the side I got out.Steering column is still has a little slop to it.

Are you sure the play is in the entire column and not just the steering shaft?

They should be studs that go thru the bracket that bolts to the steering column. Do you have the plastic spacers that go into the slots on the bracket?

That sucks. Could be much worse though. Definently not the end of the world. .I would start drilling.
By the way, my wife drives a Hyundai.

-
Back