Identifying a 65 Fish motor

-

FoothillTom

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm trying to identify the motor in this 65 Cuda which (as legend has it) had a 273 originally. I can barely make out a "318 R" on the driver's side front of the block so I'm ready to conclude this is a 318.

There is a multi-digit serial number stamped in that same location. Will this tell me what year this motor is? I need to get my glasses and stare at the numbers, but I figured I'd ask first before I go blind trying to see them.

Assuming I can get the S/N, is there a good decoding link?

Thanks!
Tom

(First time A body caretaker)

I have two 65 273 engines. Neither has "273" in the casting, though I recall it is stamped in the left front just under the head. I understand that later LA engines did have "318", "340", "360" in the casting.

Thanks for the tips and the link jameybro. I couldn't match my numbers to the ones on your chart.

I took an upclose photo of the casting and these are the numbers:

318R 2628 2065

Based on some research, it looks like 318R just is the displacement and and an "R" indicating "regular gas".

The other 2 sets of numbers must be a date of some kind. This motor is clearly not stock for this 65, but I am hoping to find the year just for sourcing parts later.

Any ideas how to decode those other numbers anyone?

TomView attachment cudamotor.jpg

What is the digit before the 318? There should be a year code right there. Also, there is a date code cast into the engine on the passenger side close to the top of the block and rearward of the engine mount bosses.

Ahhh...didn't realize there was another digit...let me go clean that up and take another look. Thanks for the tip on the other stamp. Should it be in the front just below the head or on the manifold side or what?

Thanks!
Tom

The year code is STAMPED into the block just before the 3 in 318. The date code is CAST into the block on the passenger side.

65 273 Stamps just under the left side are as follows:

A 273 MM- D

where MM- D Is the date the assembly was installed. Usually on or shortly after the build date on your Fender Tag.

Mine is
A 273 12- 7

The stamps are hard to make out and are usually fully covered with paint if 2 coats of paint are applied.

Also a Data casting on the right side of the block for when it was cast.

Thanks again fellas. So now I've examined this casting like my Dermotologist looks at my weather-beaten face, and this is what I see on the driver's side below the head:

PM318R 2628 2065

I can't find any numbers on the passenger's side yet, but it's pretty dirty too. I'll keep looking.

I believe the "M" before the 318 stands for Mound Road assembly plant, but the P doesn't seem to match any year code that I can determine.

Anybody able to sleuth these codes out?

Tom

no 318 motor in 1965 cuda's 273 only period~

Irrelevent

2806030 1966-75 318
2566080 75-up 318

The pm318r code pm on the left of 318 is the factory it was built, the r on the right side of 318 indicates the year, i cannot find info about cross refernece the letter to the year, it could just be a early 66-75 block. Meaning all the parts you are going to order will be the same, and that also depends on what exactly you are doing. If u would like to find the real YEAR of block... jack your car up and look right behind your right side motor mount, there willl be a for example 6 20 71 indicates 1971..

Thanks 64val. I am going to jack it up now and settle the year issue. I just want to have a good reference point to order parts (basic tune up for now, that kind of stuff).

I did read somewhere (can't remember where now) that the 318R stood for "Regular gas" as opposed to 318P which would mean "premium". And I'm starting to think the PM318 is just a longer way of identifying Mound Road assembly plant. Either that or the P could mean 1960. Hell, I'm gonna go look for the casting...

And to 65CudaLover, I thought I indicated that this was NOT the original motor. But since we have the same fish, I'm hoping to benefit from your wisdom. :)

Tom

The PM designation was used in the '68 and '69 model years. The 2628 would indicate it's a '69 block.

The PM designation was used in the '68 and '69 model years. The 2628 would indicate it's a '69 block.

Cudamark, what Kung Fu did you use to come up with that? Good work. I crawled underneath and saw the first digit in the casting was also a "9" so does that settle things?

Thanks again.
Tom

Some things managed to soak into my thick head after playing with them for the last 40 years! The date code cast into the block should read: month, day, and 2 digit year. Sometimes they're hard to read if the casting wasn't too good. I've seen many numbers that end up just a blob.

FoothillTom, I will tell you my 65 formula S now does have an early 71 318 in it 4bbl that is worked up nicely and runs very nice on super unleaded. She will do low 13's in the quarter mile as my first early cuda a 66 did back about 12 years ago . I used to do quite well at the dragstip in that car in the sport class and won many weekends, up at Greatlakes dragway. Also got to race in Indianapolis Dragway representing our place as a team memeber at end of season was a blast.. I now am unable to do that due to some medical issues that set me back for a short time from driving, but will be back soon this summer as I am recovering from my brain surgery due to epilepsy. I am now cured from seizures and hope to have the 65 cuda back on the road this summer. Heck I hope to just be luck to drive again, thank the Lord for that, coming back from brain surgery. I work on my cuda which is perfectly road worthy, just getting it ready for a nice paint job next! Good luck with yours and maybe we can cruise together sometime down the road to Columbus Mopar Nats my next big goal once able to get back on the road again!

I wish you a speedy recovery 65Cudalover and hope you find yourself behind the wheel sooner than later.

God bless.
Tom

Even if you cant see the casting date, early 273's had a 1/2 inch deep dish under the 1-3 ports, about 5 inches wide. My 66 on the floor right now had 3 mounting ears on each side and the unique dish for the steering box clearance.

and the unique dish for the steering box clearance.
Interesting. I have a 65 block and didn't notice that. It was very hard installing my rebuilt steering box with the engine in the car. I had to jack up the left side 1" to squeeze it by. The V-8 sure is packed in tight in the early A's.

If this is a later (67 up) small block, it will have large 1" numbers cast on the side of the block that show what size it is and the date/year will be on the other side, no decoding needed, these are plain as day.

-
Back