If you need new A body parts, buy them NOW - the Corona Virus

-
Might be the last straw for me. It seems the non solid cars would be in demand and the once savable ones will be parts cars or all out race cars unable to return to the,street. People are not paying good money for the usual duster, everyone wants them for next to nothing even after repairs. I do not understand how people salvate over chevelles and Camaros at shows. I also cant go to Calisle and look at 100 new chargers or challengers. Could this bet the the kiss of death?

Might be the last straw for me. It seems the non solid cars would be in demand and the once savable ones will be parts cars or all out race cars unable to return to the,street. People are not paying good money for the usual duster, everyone wants them for next to nothing even after repairs. I do not understand how people salvate over chevelles and Camaros at shows. I also cant go to Calisle and look at 100 new chargers or challengers. Could this bet the the kiss of death?
No. Again, don’t get caught up in the hype and panic.

You are kidding, right.....
panic buying much? For the record, AMD has had that discontinued list on there since about October.

There you have it lol..... I saw the thread this morning and figure it would be sewn up by the time I looked at it again lol.... Someone has been drinking too much of Grandpa's cough syrup....

JW

Ahhhhhh the sky is falling

Screenshot_20200304-060635.jpg

My rule of thumb is buy a solid project, or if NO decent sheet metal is available, I must be able to fab it... or just pass!
My deal has always pretty much been, get rid of rust, get it on the road.. I am NO perfectionist. The next owner can be a perfectionist.. if so, so be it.

No, this site is a car website and the owner allows political discussions but not in the general forums. If you want to talk politics, check into the News and Politics forum and comment away.
:rofl:

I think that the OP is correct that if your Mopar replacement part (and any thing else you buy) is made in China, you could be effected by this global virus. We shall see. As far as the death rate, please wash your hands, don’t get me or my family sick.

I think that the OP is correct that if your Mopar replacement part (and any thing else you buy) is made in China, you could be effected by this global virus. We shall see. As far as the death rate, please wash your hands, don’t get me or my family sick.
Affected? Probably. End of the hobby and the world? Hardly. Just like every single other pandemic, this will get under control by June, factories in China are already starting to come back online as we speak. Once all that happens, with in a few months or weeks given the Chinese history of speed, supply will be back to normal.

is this a serious virus. Yes

have I taken precautions like moving my 401k to safer options, yes.

Is this a long term thing, no.

Are some parts harder to find than last month, yes. I can’t get tie rods for my Jeep right now because of it.

the classic car industry will not die more will demand for classic car parts end because of this.

Furthermore, If people needed this virus to remind them or tell them to wash themselves, that’s an even larger issue

We have a bunch of stuff (VW parts) made in china, yes it will effect short term supply, but most factories are back up and running now. So we will see a bit of a lag until they get caught back up. They will be putting the kids back to work in 20hr shifts in no time!

Somebody wrote that 1 in a million people get the Corona virus. In the news tonight it is reported that 158 cases of Corona have been verified in the US alone......and there are those that have not been identified. There are approx 327 million people in the US. 158 is approx 1/2 of 327. So in 2 weeks we should be reach the 1 out of every a million mark in the US. It can only get worse from there. Nothing to get excited about unless you are one of the ones who gets it!!

I heard on the radio this morning that only 2-3% of the people with the virus actually die, mostly elderly people, and it does not seem to hurt children.

Regardless of the virus, AMD stopped producing panels that dusters NEED. Solid fenders are next to impossible. Quarters, us average guys are not fabricators. Fabricators, you are all awesome and are unaffected. Doors, people arent bringing them to swap because they are heavy. The list goes on ans on

Regardless of the virus, AMD stopped producing panels that dusters NEED. Solid fenders are next to impossible. Quarters, us average guys are not fabricators. Fabricators, you are all awesome and are unaffected. Doors, people arent bringing them to swap because they are heavy. The list goes on ans on

Solid fenders for Dusters, go to Carlisle or the Nats, lots of very usable ones not selling for $50 each, they are still out there.

Solid fenders for Dusters, go to Carlisle or the Nats, lots of very usable ones not selling for $50 each, they are still out there.
No doubt. It's worth a trip across the country for nice parts.

Been to Carlisle. Very little sheet metal these days. A few sellers said they are tired of bringing sheet metal because it takes up space and people don't want to spend money at the show. So they toss it for scrap. I dont think most people want to wait a year for the possiblity of there being good fenders. For me, it was nice to know that if I didn't find it at a show, I had a back up. AMD. I want to enjoy my car and not wait years in the hopes of locating sheet metal while the cars sits and sits and sits. Been there, done that.

No doubt. It's worth a trip across the country for nice parts.
Its only 4 hrs for me, but I have seen the same guy selling the same set of A body fenders, in opinion were really nice for $40 each, and have not sold for the last two years.
I bet he has them again this year, he vends in the same spot.
Alot of people just are too lazy to carry the parts to their trucks.
At least a the Nats, if you buy something big, they will let you drive in and pick it up.
Carlisle you either pay them to golf-cart it to the gate or carry it out.

About 5 years ago I bought a tailgate for my dads 78 power wagon, cherry, straight, original paint for $90.
I bet me and my cousin (big boy) carried that sob 1/2 mile to where we were parked, after that my wife bought me a a rubber tire wagon.

I leave it in the truck until me or my cousin buys something heavy, then we send his 13 year old kid to the truck to "fetch" the wagon, he hates that green wagon.

Hell, I’ve got two sets of doors I’ve been trying to sell for a year now.

Its only 4 hrs for me, but I have seen the same guy selling the same set of A body fenders, in opinion were really nice for $40 each, and have not sold for the last two years.
I bet he has them again this year, he vends in the same spot.
Alot of people just are too lazy to carry the parts to their trucks.
At least a the Nats, if you buy something big, they will let you drive in and pick it up.
Carlisle you either pay them to golf-cart it to the gate or carry it out.

About 5 years ago I bought a tailgate for my dads 78 power wagon, cherry, straight, original paint for $90.
I bet me and my cousin (big boy) carried that sob 1/2 mile to where we were parked, after that my wife bought me a a rubber tire wagon.

I leave it in the truck until me or my cousin buys something heavy, then we send his 13 year old kid to the truck to "fetch" the wagon, he hates that green wagon.
Not entirely true. Last year at Carlisle, they let me drive right in, drop off a distributor tester and an engine block and pick up a pair of seats. Twice. Just had to wait until the end of the day. But they had no issue with it.

Further proving the point that you shouldn't be getting all worked up over it.

If many more people carry it than have been confirmed, with no symptoms or minimal symptoms, and the death rate is still VERY low.....

How do you figure that the death rate is low? Does 2% sound like a small number? The common influenza strains kill about 0.1%. The 1918 Flu epidemic was under 2% and that killed 50 million people.

We need to educate each other on this stuff. This is not a hoax. Yes, we’re going to be ok eventually but there’s no vaccine for this...and a lot of people don’t believe in vaccines anymore anyway which is a stupefying thought.

I’m not in my 60s or 70s yet. I have no history of cardiopulmonary conditions, I’ve never smoked...Odds are that I’ll be fine.but I care about people who meet those conditions! I also like to be able to go out in public places without possibly transmitting this incredibly contagious virus to people who are in real danger.

The fatality rate of this virus skews towards those older/sicker demographics but right now there’s a guy in his 40s in critical condition. This is no joke.

What happened to basic social responsibility?! I swear that people are so rotten to each other...we’ve been trained to hate by Fox News and MSNBC. It’s wrecking our country. :mad:

This YouTube channel stays away from scare tactics. The creator is an ICU doctor who calmly and precisely talks about what’s going on. I stumbled across the channel and it has been a source of comfort and harsh reality.

MedCram - Medical Lectures Explained CLEARLY

Last edited:
How do you figure that the death rate is low? Does 2% sound like a small number? The common influenza strains kill about 0.1%. The 1918 Flu epidemic was under 2% and that killed 50 million people.

We need to educate each other on this stuff. This is not a hoax. Yes, we’re going to be ok eventually but there’s no vaccine for this...and a lot of people don’t believe in vaccines anymore anyway which is a stupefying thought.

I’m not in my 60s or 70s yet. I have no history of cardiopulmonary conditions, I’ve never smoked...Odds are that I’ll be fine.but I care about people who meet those conditions! I also like to be able to go out in public places without possibly transmitting this incredibly contagious virus to people who are in real danger.

The fatality rate of this virus skews towards those older/sicker demographics but right now there’s a guy in his 40s in critical condition. This is no joke.

What happened to basic social responsibility?! I swear that people are so rotten to each other...we’ve been trained to hate by Fox News and MSNBC. It’s wrecking our country. :mad:

This YouTube channel stays away from scare tactics. The creator is an ICU doctor who calmly and precisely talks about what’s going on. I stumbled across the channel and it has been a source of comfort and harsh reality.

Ok, lets talk about education. I have in my family, 7 people currently working in hospitals and doctors offices. This has been a been topic of discussion for weeks. Last week, my wife brought home a CD that was given to all doctors offices and hospitals by the CDC regarding this. I'll list a few of those bullet points.

Corona-virus has been known to man for over 7 decades. There are many, many forms of this virus. SARS, Swineflu, Ebola etc are all corona-viruses. Its why some products actually state on them already, will kill corona-viruses. Dawn dish soap and other anti-bacterial soaps are the most effective when proper hand washing is done.

The WHO is saying that 85-90 percent of people who get sick and have CD19 have not and will not go to a doctor. Symptoms of the virus range from to a simple headache, diarrhea, runny nose etc to full on respiratory failure. Furthermore, China and other countries intially were only tallying cases that require hospitalization. So that 2% death rate is actually somewhat inaccurate. If we take the roughly 96,000 cases of severe CD19 that have actually been reported, multiply it by the low end of the range given from the WHO, 85 percent, we get a total estimated cases of 177,600. Death total is around 3300. of just cases requiring hospitalization. The estimated exposure to this virus is said to be centered around Wuhan, China. A city with 11 million people. So to further do some math. 81,000 cases of this thing are in China. 81,000 out of 11.8 million. Means the infection rate is around .07%. Almost ALL the deaths have been in China. With a population death rate of .028 percent.

Educate on prevention methods, sure. Freak out and panic, NO.

-
Back