IMM Engines 408 build

-
injectors should change their pulse duration to compensate for lbs- within reason
are these the 6 hole injectors-- they work good
how much did your intake close point change at .006....overlap... ?? could you post both timings?

keep us posted

Got the new cam and Melling lifters installed... I am in shock on how quite the engine runs now. I didn't realize how noisy the old lifters were until after comparisons.

As I was removing the old lifters noticed that I could not press down on the plunger inside of the lifters.... except one... it moved without problems at all.... came from the side that was tapping. Lifter might decided to bleed down much faster than the others but didn't seem right. ??

All the abnormal noisy hydraulic rollers I have seen so far did the same thing. I have had good luck swapping out only the mushy ones.
Glad it's sounding good. Definitely just a bad luck part problem. No big deal.
Now get it tuned and see how she goes.

injectors should change their pulse duration to compensate for lbs- within reason
are these the 6 hole injectors-- they work good
how much did your intake close point change at .006....overlap... ?? could you post both timings?

keep us posted

The injectors are either 5 or 6. I know when I look at the injector tip there is a star shape spray pattern. Might be 5... I didn't count the holes. The stock injectors have one hole.

If you promise not to degrade my cam choice anymore ... after the chevy lobe statement.

You're gonna like that cam.

I love the way it idles now... I could sit in a chair and listen to it all day! :D
V/P went from 129 to 149 with cam change.

Last edited:
All the abnormal noisy hydraulic rollers I have seen so far did the same thing. I have had good luck swapping out only the mushy ones.
Glad it's sounding good. Definitely just a bad luck part problem. No big deal.
Now get it tuned and see how she goes.

When I changed the cam I was in between using the lifters that came in the engine from IMM except use more pre load (from 3/4 turn to 1 1/4 turn) or switch them out for the new Mellings. After finding the mushy lifter I decided to use the Mellings and hope for the best.

I can't wait to get the new injectors installed and get this thing tuned properly.
thanks Bob

20 numbers of VP is a huge improvement!
I have a very similar cam with very similar VP,allbeit in a 367, and I love it.
149 is a nice number for a pick-up, especially with the stroker torque coming in right after.

Cam is fine
? does the wheel on the lifters match the cam- no big deal on that cam but???
also did you use beehive springs-
is their claim that the lobe was designed for beehive springs real or just hype?

Cam is fine
? does the wheel on the lifters match the cam- no big deal on that cam but???
also did you use beehive springs-
is their claim that the lobe was designed for beehive springs real or just hype?

Yeah the wheel matches the lobe from just looking at it. I didn't measure it.
I have PAC beehive springs on my heads.

That's a really nice sounding Ram, definately not just another pickup with Flowmasters thrown on it and look! "instant hotrod" LOL. You'll be leaving those ying-yangs in the dust for sure!:steering:

I'm going to switch from planned double springs to beehives on my build
much shorter duration than yours due to taller gear and OD

Ok something is wrong with my combo cuz it don't sound half as good as yours,lol.
That’s because you spent too much time in the calculators Picking what the Calculator site says is perfect.

Nice build. You made the right decision getting rid of that 112 cam in a heavy vehicle with low compression. Would have made it a dog. Glad to see that change, you will be happy

Nice build. You made the right decision getting rid of that 112 cam in a heavy vehicle with low compression. Would have made it a dog. Glad to see that change, you will be happy

The old cam was actually a 113LSA on a 113ICL. I was told initially that it was going to be on a 112LSA then pow.... it's a 113. All I can figure is IMM thought I needed that wide LSA since it's a computer controlled vehicle. After talking to Ryan Hogan (tuner guy) he said I could use any cam I wanted that he could make it work with the ECM. We'll see. Got a email from Ryan today and he said "Tune is done, will do a cursory review and will send tomorrow."
Now we're making some progress.... lol

Just by driving around casually and giving it a little gas here and there I can tell it wants to go compared to the old cam.

I was talking to my friends and told them my build and the HP/TQ the engine made on the IMM's dyno. All I got from them was "That engine should be making more than that!"

Wide LSA cams on smaller motors are like a shot of novacaine, numbing your launch.
They kill bottom end. That said, if you have tons of compression and or a power adder, they begin to shine. Big convertor would help as well.
I swapped to a 112 a pretty famous Mopar cam guy recommended years ago on a well sorted out W5 stroker motor. It killed the car 2 tenths over what i had.

I was talking to my friends and told them my build and the HP/TQ the engine made on the IMM's dyno. All I got from them was "That engine should be making more than that!"
That’s what everybody says! No matter who you talk to, no matter their actual real world experience, and building engines, and running the Dino, what their experience of getting into the computer to make it work, everybody will always say that! It’s because everybody’s is an armchair quarterback on Monday!

Tech guy at comp got back to me via e-mail
IMHO the data on their XR274HR-10 23-710-9
catalog shows on 23-710-9 - Xtreme Energy™ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts
"valve timing @.006 lift as 6 38 1 49 274 282
now if I add 6+180+38 I get 224 which is the .050 duration anyone else have this interaction with the comp catalog?
this is what I got back from the tech earlier this month

Hey,
Intake exhaust
I looked up that spec card for that cam shaft. @.006 Valve opens- 6 degrees 49
Valve closes- 38 1.0
Is this what you were look for? (this was his formatting not mine- but whatever- data's there)
EVIDENTLY THEIR DATABASE ITSELF HAS ERRORS (this is to be expected if any large database- it is our responsibility to check
after a couple of more e-mail exchanges he comes up with correct .006 timing (which is needed for Dynamic calculations etc)
"After doing some more more research. I think I found the correct data Intake- 31 - 63 (31+63 +180=274)
Exhaust- 75 - 27 (75+27+180=182)"
let's see if they fix the catalog
bottom line
BVVC

The answer was s “No, they don’t care.” And at best, he left a sticky note somewhere that was promptly thrown away.

most of the changes seen are based on when the intake gets closed
narrow LCA can close earlier than wide LCA depending on Intake center line installed
one crutch is to advance a wide LCA cam (or a too big cam) but this has side effects on the other events
best to get a cam with the correct valve events in the first place
the narrow lca cam may not have been the correct cam either (power falls off early, horrible gas mileage, exhaust runs hot, etc
all tradeoffs- choose wisely my friend- who said that?

-
Back