IMM Engines 408 build

-
I've seen engines that had 40 more HP than one off of IMM's dyno get their lunch money taken by the lower HP engine. MPH was not close to the higher engines claim.

Dyno numbers are nothing, some guys jack the numbers to sell engines. Big #'s are more expensive or a important when the dickswinging contest starts. :)

Real world running is what counts. You'll never know how it would have run since the build was changed up.

The old cam was actually a 113LSA on a 113ICL. I was told initially that it was going to be on a 112LSA then pow.... it's a 113. All I can figure is IMM thought I needed that wide LSA since it's a computer controlled vehicle. After talking to Ryan Hogan (tuner guy) he said I could use any cam I wanted that he could make it work with the ECM. We'll see. Got a email from Ryan today and he said "Tune is done, will do a cursory review and will send tomorrow."
Now we're making some progress.... lol

Just by driving around casually and giving it a little gas here and there I can tell it wants to go compared to the old cam.

I was talking to my friends and told them my build and the HP/TQ the engine made on the IMM's dyno. All I got from them was "That engine should be making more than that!"
The hp and torque numbers are good from the IMM dyno session. My very limited experiance says you will pick up power with the new cam, but not sure how much. 20 hp? 20 tq?

You'll never know how it would have run since the build was changed up.

That's OK by me. Since the installation of the new cam I can feel a difference in take off power. I haven't "nailed it" since the ECM is out of whack right now but giving it a little gas once the truck is rolling I'm "Oh yeah... there we go":D

The hp and torque numbers are good from the IMM dyno session. My very limited experiance says you will pick up power with the new cam, but not sure how much. 20 hp? 20 tq?

That would be great:)

The Comp Cam is their XFI series cam which is aimed at fuel injected engines.
What I find strange is the intake lift is higher than the exhaust. Usually it's the other way around. Wonder what is achieved by doing that? The duration is higher on the exhaust however.

.577 intake .572 Exhaust
Duration@.050 .230 Intake 236 Exhaust

Appinions are like A ss Holes Every body has one.
And here is mine.
I asked Brian at IMM to help me spec out a cam for high altitude, high compression and spec for low end torque.
He spec a cam thru Comp Cam. I am vary happy with the results. In Fact, it ran better than expected!!!!
I would go this route all over again without a blink of an eye!!!!!
So say my sphincter.:lol:
O by the way, that cam sound real good. Will be interesting to see if it sound any different once your fuel injection is tuned.

What I find strange is the intake lift is higher than the exhaust. Usually it's the other way around. Wonder what is achieved by doing that? The duration is higher on the exhaust however.

.577 intake .572 Exhaust

The missing lift on the exhaust isn’t a big thing and the extra duration is what really helps it to breath and operate better. Valve lift isn’t really (or hugely) important, not in a major way unless your REALLY looking to “Get Some” or more than your share. LOL!

On my street strip heavy breathers, or a track car.....
I like to take advantage of the heads ability. If the head flows good until, let’s say, .600, then I’d like to get my cam lifting up there if possible.

You can get a real decent running machine and not brake .500 lift. Great performance, powerful engine output or a fast car doesn’t need to have a high lifting cam. You just need to know how to take advantage of what is available and maximize it .

That's OK by me. Since the installation of the new cam I can feel a difference in take off power. I haven't "nailed it" since the ECM is out of whack right now but giving it a little gas once the truck is rolling I'm "Oh yeah... there we go":D

That would be great:)

.577 intake .572 Exhaust

Remember there is a LOT of residual pressure left when the exhaust valve opens, so the most important part of the exhaust lift curve is the bottom half. On top of that, the valve is smaller than the intake. With a tuned exhaust, there is a lot of draw from the exhaust to help clear the cylinder and draw incoming charge.

Appinions are like A ss Holes Every body has one.
And here is mine.
I asked Brian at IMM to help me spec out a cam for high altitude, high compression and spec for low end torque.
He spec a cam thru Comp Cam. I am vary happy with the results. In Fact, it ran better than expected!!!!
I would go this route all over again without a blink of an eye!!!!!
So say my sphincter.:lol:
O by the way, that cam sound real good. Will be interesting to see if it sound any different once your fuel injection is tuned.

I am in between mufflers choices right now.... again.:rolleyes:
The problem I was having was the mufflers are very loud. Sounds good to me but loud in the mornings when I leave to got to work at 5am. If I lived out in the middle of a field I would leave them on there but I have neighbors. I'm not one of those that like to wake the dead every morning and try to respect my neighbors comfort.

In the video the mufflers are Summit Racing Mufflers.
Now I have installed Summit Fully Welded Turbo mufflers. These have tamed it down a good bit. Still has the deep rumble but not too loud.

It already sounds different before the tuning. I will make a vid with the new mufflers today... then compare it later. Tuner guy hasn't sent the tune yet. I don't know what the hold up is... he said he would send it first thing in the am... that's been two days ago.:(

Tuner guy hasn't sent the tune yet. I don't know what the hold up is... he said he would send it first thing in the am... that's been two days ago.:(
So is this ECM being 'tuned' on a computer somewhere and you download the program and see what happens?

All good
ex does notneed thelift or acceleration(depending on demand, relative flow, actual flow) but mullinax95 looks good
cuda- waht's your build and what cam- share the good news
I use the Maremont super turbo 36" motorhome muffler 3" in and out lifetime warranty
also resonators near end of tailpipes to reduce resonance at freeway(only ) speed
crossover pipe 2"

Yes
BY: FRPTuning / Flying' Ryan Performance

I have to datalog the engine after the tune gets uploaded. Then send the datalog back to him and he adjusts the tune.
OK, tnx; that is a new twist on things; very interesting. I wondered how you would instrument it to know where it was.

Hope he is close on the 1st shot! Maybe he starts rich and then tweaks it in....

The factory Magnum PCM is a good piece and has pretty good flexibility for tuning, but I don't think anybody has the ability to do live changes. Even on a dyno with sensors you have to figure out what it needs, make adjustments in the software on a computer, then with the engine off you flash the PCM with the new tune. The guys doing this have really good baselines that only come with experience on these, so he'll be in pretty good shape.

Last edited:
Ok.... got the tune installed along with the Ford Racing 39# injectors.
OMG....this freaking thing is a monster!

Since the tune is a little richer and therefore I don't have to worry about going lean...I decided to get on it pretty good. It jumps out of the hole and will bark the tires when it hits second...:D

Ok.... got the tune installed along with the Ford Racing 39# injectors.
OMG....this freaking thing is a monster!

Since the tune is a little richer and therefore I don't have to worry about going lean...I decided to get on it pretty good. It jumps out of the hole and will bark the tires when it hits second...:D
Great news! It is coming together!

Have you read the 4 tech articles on the B3 site?
suggest you discuss with IMM
send a pic of your roller rocker sweep across the valve tip

Anymore videos of the truck?

No... I've been busy at work and playing around with a new adventure.

I recently decided to supercharge the engine. Looked into the possibility of installing a turbo but after weighing the pros and cons of turbo I settled on supercharged. Turbo would require lot more heat under the hood, not a fan of turbo lag and definitely more expensive. Supercharged will eat up some HP since it relies on a belt powered by the engine but I'm not really worried about it.

I had to switch the cam out to a blower cam. Got finished with that last weekend. The cam is a Hipoteck HPT236XNB cam. Cam specs: .236/.248@.050 .570/.585 112LSA.

The SC is made by Vortech. It's the V3 model in Sci trim but Vortech threw me a curveball. I got their newsletter in my email the other day and it showed a new version of the V3 in the Heritage edition. The Heritage editions are nosier since they use straight cut gears instead of helical. I just had to have that noise... lol After getting off the phone with Vortech I am shipping the supercharger I have now back and in a couple of weeks will have the new Heritage.

Have you read the 4 tech articles on the B3 site?
suggest you discuss with IMM
send a pic of your roller rocker sweep across the valve tip

Yeah I've read Mikes articles and used him to correct my geometry on the cuda with Eddy heads.
Upon removing the 1.6 Engine Pro adjustable roller rockers (Chevy rockers) for the supercharger cam I noticed the sweep is centered perfectly but the sweep pattern is wide on the valve tip. I need to contact Mike but have not had the chance.

Any ideas on what would be the adjustment to make the pattern more narrow without interference with rocker center?

No... I've been busy at work and playing around with a new adventure.

I recently decided to supercharge the engine. Looked into the possibility of installing a turbo but after weighing the pros and cons of turbo I settled on supercharged. Turbo would require lot more heat under the hood, not a fan of turbo lag and definitely more expensive. Supercharged will eat up some HP since it relies on a belt powered by the engine but I'm not really worried about it.

I had to switch the cam out to a blower cam. Got finished with that last weekend. The cam is a Hipoteck HPT236XNB cam. Cam specs: .236/.248@.050 .570/.585 112LSA.

The SC is made by Vortech. It's the V3 model in Sci trim but Vortech threw me a curveball. I got their newsletter in my email the other day and it showed a new version of the V3 in the Heritage edition. The Heritage editions are nosier since they use straight cut gears instead of helical. I just had to have that noise... lol After getting off the phone with Vortech I am shipping the supercharger I have now back and in a couple of weeks will have the new Heritage.

man i wish i had your kind of money.

man i wish i had your kind of money.

I'm flat broke now....:(

The SC will use intercooler made by Treadstone
Super Charger pics

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

you have to raise the shaft
but note that the shaft bolts and the valves are on an intersecting angle
so just raising the shaft moves the sweep slightly toward the exhaust side (just like a longer valve)

you have to raise the shaft
but note that the shaft bolts and the valves are on an intersecting angle
so just raising the shaft moves the sweep slightly toward the exhaust side (just like a longer valve)

These are Engine Quest 2.02/1.60 magnum type heads... no shafts. One turn preload on the roller rockers.

Yeah I've read Mikes articles and used him to correct my geometry on the cuda with Eddy heads.
Upon removing the 1.6 Engine Pro adjustable roller rockers (Chevy rockers) for the supercharger cam I noticed the sweep is centered perfectly but the sweep pattern is wide on the valve tip. I need to contact Mike but have not had the chance.

Any ideas on what would be the adjustment to make the pattern more narrow without interference with rocker center?

Your narrowest sweep will occur when a line between the rocker's center and the contact point of the roller on the valve tip is 90 degrees (perpendicular) to the axis of the valve with the lift at mid lift. Being off-center with a roller is not of any consequence as long as it is not waaay off near the edge. That is why the advice to center to roller on the tip is plain foolish: when you do that, you can move far away from the optimum geometry.

Think of it this way:
  • With a certain valve length and lift, then the rocker's center HAS to be at a certain height (to get that 90 degree relationship described above).
  • Once that is set, then the ball/socket is set at a certain height and that fixes the pushrod length.
Not sure what you mean with the last statement about 'interference to the rocker center'??? If you don't want to move the rocker center then you have to change the valve length. Then you get into the optimum ball and pushrod cup location for geometry on the other side of the rocker; then the pushrods may change. That is an issue with all of these rocker setups: you simply have too few adjustments available to make it optimum without moving centers of rotation or valve or pushrod lengths.

BTW how much lift do you have with that SC cam?

Your narrowest sweep will occur when a line between the rocker's center and the contact point of the roller on the valve tip is 90 degrees (perpendicular) to the axis of the valve with the lift at mid lift. Being off-center with a roller is not of any consequence as long as it is not waaay off near the edge. That is why the advice to center to roller on the tip is plain foolish: when you do that, you can move far away from the optimum geometry.

Think of it this way:
  • With a certain valve length and lift, then the rocker's center HAS to be at a certain height (to get that 90 degree relationship described above).
  • Once that is set, then the ball/socket is set at a certain height and that fixes the pushrod length.
Not sure what you mean with the last statement about 'interference to the rocker center'??? If you don't want to move the rocker center then you have to change the valve length. Then you get into the optimum ball and pushrod cup location for geometry on the other side of the rocker; then the pushrods may change. That is an issue with all of these rocker setups: you simply have too few adjustments available to make it optimum without moving centers of rotation or valve or pushrod lengths.

BTW how much lift do you have with that SC cam?

While looking at the valve tip the sweep mark leaves a equal amount on the valve tip on each side of the sweep. When I say equal amount it's where the rocker tip does not roll on the valve tip. Another words if it rolled more toward the exhaust side than the intake side then I would say that the sweep is not centered.

Not sure what you mean with the last statement about 'interference to the rocker center'???

If I make any adjustments would it throw off the centered sweep of the rocker on the valve tip. As in if I try to make the sweep narrower ... then it would make the centered sweep off.. like more towards the exhaust side or more toward the intake side.

how much lift do you have with that SC cam?

Cam specs:

IMG_3860.jpg

-
Back