Intake baffle

-

spd691

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen anything like this before? 68 340 with x heads in my 73 Dart Sport.

20231116_204212.jpg

Have one in my car since the 90's. A rocker went south and that baffle kept the lifter in its bore. Same rockers too. They probably got the PAW catalog.
PAW catalog stops a 9mm, probably 45 too

If a pushrod touches that baffle you'll know it. Take apart and clearance, again :(

For it to work properly you should block the heat risers. Absolutely SUCKS for winter driving, but no more boiling fuel in the carb on hot days.

Just my opinion though

anyone know if this will work with roller lifters?

factory stuff//working on a la roller block/like the idea of eliminating carb boil!!have already insulated the fuel line/cool carb spacer/ blocked heat cross over on current engine. thanks

E92F73FF-D1B3-480A-B97C-E10825420287.jpeg

This won’t keep parts out of the cam area, but does keep hot oil off the intake. Phenolic sheet rtv it on the china walls. No more leaks either

I put one on my 273. Why? I don't know. Because I could. :lol:
:thumbsup: Yup, it's one of those things I'll put in an engine when I've got one lying around and I'll be running a stock or stock-type manifold. On an AG style manifold it's redundant as an oil shield, but I guess it would still keep your lifters in place if you had a valvetrain meltdown... Just make sure you Locktite those strap bolts and nuts. Heck, I'd even consider brazing the nuts on- they make me nervous!

Lol. I bought one and never used it. But I did run a Morosso fuel can. I finally threw it on my scrap
Pile 5-7 years ago.

Cant post pics till later, but at first install attempt the tray would need to be trimmed in the left front corner. fits an LA but interferes with the shape of the block in the Magnum. Actual lifter/ spider clearance looks like it would clear. just haven't got the tray down in place all the way yet.

Next run at measurements reveal that all the casting changes in the valley make it such that ALOT of trimming would be needed to get this plate to sit down in the valley where it should be. Using the china wall as a measuring point, the LA block yields a measurement of 1.065 inches to the plate. The magnum block, because of the changes in valley shape, only allow the plate to be .875 inch below the china wall, as is. Push rod holes are compromised like this, it would need to be lowered. Pictures later. Your results may vary.

I put one in my 340. I'm wondering if you could put one of these in a poly engine?
Good question. I think it's one of those pieces that it couldn't hurt but it's probably not necessary especially for a stock engine.

What the heck? How many did they make like that?
LA318's(black engines) got rollers before the LA360's did. Now some of the early black engines didn't get rollers, but they're roller blocks. My 85 318 is a roller block, but had a regular flat tappet cam.

Good question. I think it's one of those pieces that it couldn't hurt but it's probably not necessary especially for a stock engine.
With folks taking the plates off the bottom of cast iron intakes for sand blasting or whatever reason.... this wouldn't require one as far as needing to keep oil from scorching the plenum's......IMOP....and keep lifters where they need to be.... hopefully...LOL

I have one exactly like yours
Bought mine from Ed Hamburger late 70’s
He put out some good products back then

This is a "used" tray, previously fitted to an LA block. Pic shows that tray sitting in a Magnum block, with some small mods top left in pic, green ink, it has a bunch of more mods needed to sit lower in to the Magnum block. measurements were listed in post # 16.
20231117_122756.jpg

20231117_090943.jpg

These trays will not fit with LA block and retrofit roller rockers without material being trimmed off along the valley wall area of the plate to clear the link bars.

-
Back