Interesting 340/Mag heads dyno results

-

RAMM

Reaction score
I haven't posted in awhile and thought I'd share this one as I found it quite interesting. This build was one of those situations where the customer sourced a pile of his own parts and had two other machine shops perform various jobs. As you can imagine this build was about 7 years in the making. I was the lucky guy earlier this winter tasked with finishing the machine work and assembly followed by a dyno session. Lucky me.

'67 340 block that was decked previously but rusted badly, finish honed .030" and decked further by me.
Ancient Mopar Performance cast flat tops that had to be milled .055" for -.010" deck clearance. Stock stroke crank that the thrust was machined .030" too wide by a shop that is long gone. We had to turn and balance a stock cast 318 crank to substitute. Stock floating rods done nicely by some other shop with missing piston pin clips. Old Edelbrock Performer hydraulic flat tappet cam, paired with a set of reconditioned but otherwise bone stock set of Magnum 318 heads springs, valves and all. All I did was disassemble and lube the dry valve stems. A Crosswind intake topped it off and it was put together. This engine went together well once we figured out what style of pan he needed.

Breakin on the dyno was uneventful with my known good QFT 600 vaccuum carb. The engine had such a mild personality I really didn't expect much over 300 hp and maybe 340 ft/lbs with 15" of 750 rpm idle vaccuum. This little sucker made just shy of 400 ft/lbs @ 3500 rpm (395 ft/lbs) and 331 HP @ 5100 rpm each and every pull. Oh and this was on Esso 87 pump fuel with about 2 gallons of Esso 91 later on when we ran out of 87. I will post up dyno sheets later. Magnum heads really are quite good when small displacements are used.

What a fantastic little 344.5 inch engine. Started at the touch of the starter button and repeated identically each and every time as mild engines tend to do-think GM crate here. As I get older I can see how this engine would bore most of you guys to death but it was a nice change for me. I also can't help but think that this engine could knock down 16-18 mpg's or better and truly drive anywhere anytime. Here's a pic off the dyno as I need to change out the high pressure/high volume oil pump. J.Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20130705-00234.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 819
The cam is the Edelbrock Performer Plus. The website states 16" vaccum @ 1000 rpm, so what I observed 15" @ 750 seems to be right inline with that. J.Rob

This is exactly what I want to hear.

I'm not far away from slotting together a +.060 318 (324ci) engine with stock Magnum heads and an Airgap, but with bit more cam (looking at 235-240 @ .050). With your numbers I might revise my cam back a tad to keep it more streetable, and so I can keep the stock springs (save $$). I'm just putting something cheap and easy together to have some fun.

Actually I'm impressed that it made 331hp with that little Performer Plus cam. Obviously the 1.6 ratio rockers give it a tad more lift and duration, but still that's almost 1hp/cube out of a very simple combo.

Put it something light with the right gears and converter and you've got a high 12sec combo I reckon.

How come you're changing out the HP oil pump?

68 psi hot oil at idle it simply does not need. It may make 335 hp with a standard volume/pressure pump. J.Rob

impressive . Will make for a great street/strip car .

This is exactly what I want to hear.

I'm not far away from slotting together a +.060 318 (324ci) engine with stock Magnum heads and an Airgap, but with bit more cam (looking at 235-240 @ .050). With your numbers I might revise my cam back a tad to keep it more streetable, and so I can keep the stock springs (save $$). I'm just putting something cheap and easy together to have some fun.

Actually I'm impressed that it made 331hp with that little Performer Plus cam. Obviously the 1.6 ratio rockers give it a tad more lift and duration, but still that's almost 1hp/cube out of a very simple combo.

Put it something light with the right gears and converter and you've got a high 12sec combo I reckon.

How come you're changing out the HP oil pump?

Be very very careful when camming such a short stroke/long rod combo. Piston speed is king when it comes to a great street engine. I would NOT go with that much cam duration (235-240) if the compression is pumpgas territory. This is one of the main reasons this engine made so much low end torque--204-214 @ .050" makes for a lot of cylinder pressure EVEN with such slow piston speeds. J.Rob

Great info in a time where everyone thinks they need 500 horsepower. But I keep seeing less of these cars being driven because of drivability, street manners, and milage.

Nice Rob. As I get older I like the idea of "trun key - go" deals like that.

Sounds like it may fit the bill for a good running daily driver.....

Great info in a time where everyone thinks they need 500 horsepower. But I keep seeing less of these cars being driven because of drivability, street manners, and milage.

You are spot on with that! I try and talk people out of their delusions of grandeur all the time. I've had 500 and 600 hp small blocks and big blocks on the street--they are fun for 5 second intervals WHEN you have the room.The rest of the time it is work. I would prefer classic muscle that I can take my wife and kids with me when I run even the most mundane of errands and also still burn the tires a decent amount when the need or desire arises.

I am super interested to see how my 347 (318-360 crank) with '302 heads and tiny Lunati voodoo cam does in comparison to this 3.31" stroke 344.J.Rob

You're right , if what you want is a car you can drive every day with no problems . I put about 5,000 miles over the summer , car is trouble free , will sit in traffic on a 95 deg day starts first turn of the key . Of course don't have 500 hp . 398 hp @5600 413 tq @4300 . My old 650 HP 440 needed an instruction manual to drive on the street .

Would Magnum heads give me a bit more over the X heads on there now ?
The heads I have have some mild porting .

Mag head have a closed chamber, x head are open. So yes it would increase power by boosting compression.

Neat build. Kinda of surprised, by the torque numbers. Nice lower power peak,should pasta long time. Surprised, that older grind can,did so well.

Mag head have a closed chamber, x head are open. So yes it would increase power by boosting compression.
Thanks , that's a no go for me , already @10.5-1 , 190 cyl pressure any more and I'd need Sunoco 260 gas to run . As it is 93 - 94 octane is the minimum I can run , if I put in 91 it pings sometimes

..i know quite a few who have built cammed hi hp beasts that are a handful to say the least in more ways than one...and most now say their next build will be very close to stock with low end torque,smooth idle and excellent driveability.

Neat build. Kinda of surprised, by the torque numbers. Nice lower power peak,should pasta long time. Surprised, that older grind can,did so well.

I'm similarly surprised that cam did as well with its lazy ramps. I used the same grind in my 302 back in the 90s...ran ok, but started blowing hot air around 5400, but it had great street manners and drove well even with highway gears.

Just about right, on a 302 Ford, running the same smog legal intake. Rubber everywhere. Fell.flat,same place. A 5.0 thing.

Very nice results!

Just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Just for comparison, My 318 (323ci) made a smidge more power but substantially less torque with 352hp@5700 and 367ft/lb@4400

J heads 2.02/1.6, Forged dome tops 10.2:1. Thumpr cam. RPM performer. 650AVS. 1-3/4" @ 30" headers.

This is the main reason I came out with the Classic Cruisers. They are mild little 360's and 440's. loads of vacuum and fat power curves.

The 360 Classic Cruisers make 375HP 405TQ, mostly stock type stuff, like old smog 360 heads, stock type stamped rockers, 9 to 1 compression ect.

The 440's are making 450hp 500tq with the same treatment as the 360.

Nice little 340. We will have one on the dyno this coming week(a 340 as well), we will see how it stacks up.

Very nice results!

Just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Just for comparison, My 318 (323ci) made a smidge more power but substantially less torque with 352hp@5700 and 367ft/lb@4400

J heads 2.02/1.6, Forged dome tops 10.2:1. Thumpr cam. RPM performer. 650AVS. 1-3/4" @ 30" headers.

Ever put it on the quarter Frosty?

-
Back