Is More Flow Better, Is The Smallest Intake Port That Flows The Most The Best

-
68 Cadillac 472 ci 525lbs ft torque 375 hp.
torque doesn't always equate to horsepower

Exactly. And if you took it to the track it would run like it makes 375 HP. Even if the TQ was 800 it would still run like it made 375 HP because thats all it made.

Horsepower moves the car.

Compression ratio is measured. It is a mathematical ratio.

Right. And horsepower is the mathematical end result of torque and RPM.

You can claim TQ moves the car but it doesn’t.

Guys that think TW is the do all, be all, end all love to smoke their tires and **** like that.

Id rather go fast.

Right. And horsepower is the mathematical end result of torque and RPM.

You can claim TQ moves the car but it doesn’t.

Guys that think TW is the do all, be all, end all love to smoke their tires and **** like that.

Id rather go fast.
So you agree. "And horsepower is the mathematical end result of torque and RPM." Calculated, not measured by the dynamometer. The dyno measures torque and calculates horsepower.

"You can claim TQ moves the car but it doesn’t." I didn't claim anything.

"Guys that think TW is the do all, be all, end all love to smoke their tires and **** like that." What is TW?

Smoking tires? Now you are talking traction. You can have all the horsepower you want but if you don't have traction you can't "go fast".

So you agree. "And horsepower is the mathematical end result of torque and RPM." Calculated, not measured by the dynamometer. The dyno measures torque and calculates horsepower.

"You can claim TQ moves the car but it doesn’t." I didn't claim anything.

"Guys that think TW is the do all, be all, end all love to smoke their tires and **** like that." What is TW?

Smoking tires? Now you are talking traction. You can have all the horsepower you want but if you don't have traction you can't "go fast".

Is your point that HP doesn’t matter because it’s calculated? How much time have YOU personally spent on a dyno? If you had you’d be singing a different tune.

Once again, inexperience comes to the front.

TW was a typo. Should have been TQ.

i went to a superflow class years few years ago, put on by harold betts, his statement was, port shape and port velocity are important, don't get hung up on CFM. velocity is what fills the cylinder, makes more cylinder pressure, which is more torque and more horsepower.

It all boils down to the horse and buggie.
how many horses does it take to move a 1000# buggie 35mph. one can get it up to 10mph

i went to a superflow class years few years ago, put on by harold betts, his statement was, port shape and port velocity are important, don't get hung up on CFM. velocity is what fills the cylinder, makes more cylinder pressure, which is more torque and more horsepower.
All true, just imagine if an engine had both velocity and cfm( more fuel and air) and has the ability to make use of it.

And there again, I didn't say that horsepower doesn't matter. If you just want to argue and prove that you are smart and superior go try that on someone else.

Not superior. Calling you out for saying ridiculous ****.

I can’t figure out what your problem is. You want to argue that HP is calculated so it doesn’t matter, or doesn’t matter as much as TQ. If that’s what you are saying you are dead wrong.

If you want to try and bullshit someone take it somewhere else.

Dyno measures torque and rpm, it measure by giving an engine a job, if you free rev your engine you make rpm but very little torque. A running engine alway produces power even in a free rev just not that much, a quarter mile run is max power and driving is everything in between power.

Think of it like electrical terms, you'd be watt's is a calculation and amps is all that matters and volts that probably does something but not too important.

Dyno measures torque and rpm, it measure by giving an engine a job, if you free rev your engine you make rpm but very little torque. A running engine alway produces power even in a free rev just not that much, a quarter mile run is max power and driving is everything in between power.

Think of it like electrical terms, you'd be watt's is a calculation and amps is all that matters and volts that probably does something but not too important.
Exactly!

It's physics.

Torque is the rotational force that moves an object.

Horsepower is a measure of work. It determines how fast the object moves (accelerates), because it is a measure of how often the torque is applied over a given timeframe.

The more torque you have, the larger the object you can move.

The more horsepower you have, the faster you can move (accelerate) that object.

The problem is, combustion engines do not make linear torque (unlike an electric engine), so rpm is not just a function of the amount of work being done (HP = Torque x RPM/5252), it also determines where the most force (torque) is generated.

If you free-rev an engine with your foot to the floor, it most certainly is making torque – the torque (rotational force) is just not being applied to anything. There are other dynamics in motion, but that's the simple answer.

"And volts, that probably does something but not too important"

Watts = V x I ("I" being the universal symbol for current). Volts are a measure of potential difference and current measures the flow of electrons. Potential difference x current = power.

TLDR version: Torque moves the car, Horsepower determines how fast it accelerates.

Last edited:
Man, some people need to go back to school.

Torque is the force that moves an object.

Horsepower determines how fast that object moves, because it is a measure of how often that torque is applied over a given timeframe.

The more torque you have, the larger the object you can move.
Movement is work, movement happens through time, a measure of movement through time is power in our case hp.
The more horsepower you have, the faster you can move that object.
Hp what accelerates, drives at speed, towing that's all work
The problem is, combustion engines do not make linear torque (unlike an electric engine), so rpm is not just a function of the amount of work being done (HP = Torque x RPM/5252), it also determines where the most force (torque) is generated.

I'm sorry, but this is just wrong. If you free-rev an engine with your foot to the floor, it most certainly IS making torque – the torque (force) is just not being applied to anything. There are other dynamics in motion, but that's the simple answer.
ake little torque since little work has been done.
That's what I said
"And volts, that probably does something but not too important"
^ You do know that Watts = V x I ("I" being the universal symbol for current)? Volts are a measure of potential difference and current measures the flow of electrons. Potential difference x current = power.
My point was the way people seem to think about hp torque rpm, if you put how they talked in electrical terms.
TLDR version: Torque moves the car, Horsepower determines how fast it moves.
Torque and rpm moves the car like amps and volts do in electric car.
Torque is one power stroke hp is all power strokes per minute.

Movement is work, movement happens through time, a measure of movement through time is power in our case hp.

Hp what accelerates, drives at speed, towing that's all work

That's what I said

My point was the way people seem to think about hp torque rpm, if you put how they talked in electrical terms.

Torque and rpm moves the car like amps and volts do in electric car.
Torque is one power stroke hp is all power strokes per minute.

You’ll never convince these how this works. Their entire lives they have been told that TQ moves the car. It doesn’t.

You can example after example after example and they will never rise above the brainwashing they have received by magazines, web sites, forums and YouTube.

It sounds cool to say you’ve got big TQ even though you can show them the formula for how to increase power.

When you look at what it takes to make the average car (average as in they cars we talk about on this forum) roll down the road, no one says it takes X amount of TQ to do it.

Its horsepower that keeps the car moving down the road. It is HP that accelerates the car from a steady cruise to a higher speed.

It goes on and on. But these guys have to (HAVE TO) have TQ do the work because it wrecks their world if they have to change their dogma.

Torque gets the car moving, HP does the rest

Torque gets the car moving, HP does the rest

HP, RPM and gearing get the car moving.

Put the gearbox in high gear and see how well TQ moves the car.

There is a reason why torque converter stall speed is usually above peak TQ. Or why clutch guys chip the RPM higher to make the car leave harder.

As long as the tire can take the hit. I have video of several cars pounding the tire to death, but I’m not going to post them because I never asked the guys with the cars if I can use the video.

Its eye opening.

You’ll never convince these how this works. Their entire lives they have been told that TQ moves the car. It doesn’t.

You can example after example after example and they will never rise above the brainwashing they have received by magazines, web sites, forums and YouTube.

It sounds cool to say you’ve got big TQ even though you can show them the formula for how to increase power.

When you look at what it takes to make the average car (average as in they cars we talk about on this forum) roll down the road, no one says it takes X amount of TQ to do it.

Its horsepower that keeps the car moving down the road. It is HP that accelerates the car from a steady cruise to a higher speed.

It goes on and on. But these guys have to (HAVE TO) have TQ do the work because it wrecks their world if they have to change their dogma.
Hp rpm and torque is the basic building blocks it's the ABCs of performance you'd think everyone would have it down pat since it's what were building.

Hp rpm and torque is the basic building blocks it's the ABCs of performance you'd think everyone would have it down pat since it's what were building.
There is more then 1 way to skin a cat
anybody who says there is only 1 way and thats mine
has there head where the sun doesnt shine its quite apparent

Don't see how that applies to this

Who said there is only one way? It seems to me it’s the ”shove the longest stroke in there you can fit and **** the end result” crowd. They are the ones who refuse to accept there is a price to pay for NOT paying attention to geometry when building an engine.

There is probably 20 ways to build the same and 2, maybe 3 end up with something close to what the goal was.

I get there are guys who think smoking their tires is cool. I get it. But that doesn’t mean it’s quick or fast or even fun to drive.

Here's a metric dyno run notice how the torque lines at the bottom are less helpful to know what's going on under the curve. The torque is basically a flat line that curves down as the engine makes more power that's not how it feels in the car, how's does that show the possible rate of acceleration? it's just easier to look at kw power curves that represents how the car will actually acceleration.

9af9fd86b1c07834a7fcca2e616edae5.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back