Is the mopar fuel sender part # 4051004 the correct non-linear sender?

-

killnine

Reaction score
I currently have a spectra fuel sender in my duster, but it's only good to tell me when it's full or empty. I would like to achieve stock behavior with my stock gauge. Does the mopar/chrysler NOS part # 4051004 do this properly? Anyone know?

I dont know about their senders... but if you are going to replace the lock ring and gasket DO NOT order them from this place. Super thin, crappy gasket. Lock ring tabs were basically flat and would not seal.

http://www.gastanks.com/ <------ No good.

Well, I ordered 4051004 from classiccarautoparts, CHRYSTLER-DODGE-PLYMOUTH GAS TANK SENDING UNITS >>> Classic Car Auto Parts part # N-CR11, described as GAS TANK SENDING UNIT
1963-1976 Barracuda, Dart, Dart Sport, Demon, Duster, Scamp, Swinger, Valiant. Mopar New Old Stock, part no. 4051004. Line size 5/16". Number of lines: One. So guess what, same old linear aftermarket junk. I'll be trying to get my money back tomorrow. I did find this though, which the seller promises is a non-linear remake. I guess we'll see. 1963-1976 Chrysler A-BODY DART DUSTER 5/16 FUEL TANK SENDING UNIT FS4051004 | eBay

"What I think I know" (and could be wrong) There are no repop senders that have the proper resistance taper. Only someone properly rebuilding your old ones---I thought someone posted a source a short time back---or NOS and good luck finding one

There is an intermediate electronics package you can buy, but I have no idea how well it works with the repop gauges

"Meter match"

TechnoVersions - MeterMatch for Analog Gauge Correction

Help Me Calibrate My Fuel Gauge

Gas gauge calibration unit

You're right, but that's why I bought a product described as New Old Stock. It shouldn't have been a repop. Wishful thinking I guess. If this one from ebay works it will be a treat for sure.

one problem is the way our tanks are shaped is half way up tank is not the same as half the volume

There's a good comparison of OEM to repop senders in a thread here somewhere. It clearly shows the shorter float arm holding the float completely submerged at least two inches below a full tank. So any gauge will show full for as long as it takes to lower the float.
Then at half of this floats travel the resistance is about 35 ohms which is about 1/4 tank for the OEM gauge. Due to the tanks shape, half the float arm travel would be a good bit more than half the tanks volume whether the travel could reach the top of the volume or not.
In a nut shell... Gauge will show full for a long time then drop like a hammer.
Sellers will often state anything to expand or improve their market. I don't expect the sender from Ebay can work like OEM or any different from the other physically similar senders.

Last edited:
As soon as a vender claims one of those shorties fits all or almost a-body years you can be pretty sure its BS.
1967 Parts book, section 14-72-1: p/n 2421 493
This is the one with the long arm, tapered wound wire and long pickup tube that make one 90 degree turn at the bottom.
upload_2019-1-28_7-31-40.png

1973 & 1974 Parts book: p/n 3621 615
I don't know what this one looks like but I'm sure some here can tell us.

Well, I ordered 4051004
I know this is an old thread but if you can find that part number at a Dodge dealer it is a workable sender. I bought one from a dealer in GA and it is not linear, works fairly well through the range.

Long story.... But I just adjusted the up stop to not go over full on the guage, I siphoned out as much fuel as I could get. Then ran the car till out of gas. BUT I could only get 16 gallons back in. This means the pickup is too high off the tank floor and I had 1.5 to 2 gallons in the tank. Aaarrrrghhh

Last edited:
As soon as a vender claims one of those shorties fits all or almost a-body years you can be pretty sure its BS.
1967 Parts book, section 14-72-1: p/n 2421 493
This is the one with the long arm, tapered wound wire and long pickup tube that make one 90 degree turn at the bottom.
View attachment 1715281960

1973 & 1974 Parts book: p/n 3621 615
I don't know what this one looks like but I'm sure some here can tell us.

what is the purpose of #14-72-5

There was a post on this site that listed Wolf & Company as the place to send your original fuel sender to for refurb. I don't now anything other than what I've read about the company. I am going to contact them this week about a 72 Duster sending unit that needs to be refurbed. I'll post what I'll post what I find out.

-
Back