Is this cylinder head exhaust port crack an issue?

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Help head experts.
Long story short. Heads were rebuilt by magnum machine & friend ran them on a healthy 318 for a year. Picked up in trade and have been stored wrapped in plastic indoors for 2 yrs? Brought these heads to Carlisle for sale and after unwrapping plastic in my hotel room found this crack on exhaust port I didn't notice before. Arg.:wtf:
Is straight almost like it is forged. Are these toast? They came off a strong running engine with maybe 1500 miles and 15 1/4 mile passes on em.
Thanks.

IMG_0625.JPG

Looks like a casting flaw to me. As long as it seals up good I think you'll be alright. A better "close up" pic would help.

treblig

I can't see how that could hurt anything, if it doesn't extend to the valve seat.

Still looks like a casting flaw. They are common and usually don't hurt anything as long as they don't extend into another cavity.

treblig

Thanks. Appreciate the quick help. Does not extend beyond exhaust port or into valve area at all.
Just wanted to be comfortable trying to sell them tomorrow at swap meet.

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

Being in an exhaust port, it could get worse by causing a hot spot, I suppose. I know people use JB Weld or some kind of epoxy to shape ports -- maybe you'd want to fill it in?

Being in an exhaust port, it could get worse by causing a hot spot, I suppose. I know people use JB Weld or some kind of epoxy to shape ports -- maybe you'd want to fill it in?

Sure you don't want to use epoxy in an exhaust port...

Actually, a lot of exhaust port epoxying has been done in the past; the one thing going for it is that the head stay a lot cooler that the exhaust manifold. A lot of this was done in the 70's/80's to Boss 302 and 351C heads, where the exhaust ports had a bad spot on the exhaust port floors that messed up exhaust flow velocity; epoxy filling was one method to work around that. And there are some newer steel filled epoxies that wold work better than what was around in the 70's.

Now whether the above is worth, is a whole 'nother question. If it just a a parting line void, then it is not worth messing with IMHO.

-
Back