just out of the paint booth

-

harleydodge1

Reaction score
I wasn't really sure about this project when I stared it. But now that it is painted I am getting excited. When I first got the car I noticed that it had a 65 front clip on a 66 body. I don't know the story on that. But many months later here it is. I don't know what to do with bumpers. They are straight but the chrome is used up and I don't really want to put the money in them to have them rechromed but I might if the car turns out great. I thought about painting them red or black. Does anyone know if rechromed bumpers are out there and how much they are? Anyways it will be a good driver with the 318,auto and vintage heat and air. Here are some pics of the progress.
Just out of the paint booth
what I started with
IMG_0196.jpg

after rust repair and sanding
100_0005.jpg

and out of the booth
100_0716.jpg

100_0717.jpg

and after a few hours
100_0728.jpg

100_0743.jpg

That does look great! That red burns my retinas. LOL

Very nice indeed :glasses2::glasses2::thumrigh:

looking at the reflections i would say you had alot of time in good body work...

nice job

Oh please put chrome bumpers on and I know it is big money but that red car has got to have them IMHO. It looks real sweet!

WOW!! That paint job is NICE!!! I like the way the '65 &'66 fit together. It works. An alternative to the chrome job on those bumpers could be to have them powder coated silver/aluminum. A friend of mine had some done like that and they looked real nice. Kind of like those aftermarket fiberglass ones. It's your car and your call, either way it will look fantastic with that scorching red paint. Please post more pics of the interior and engine bay. Nice job!!

Ok then its settled then, chrome bumpers it is. Looks like I will be working overtime for the next couple of months. I installed the old bumpers until I can get the new ones. What are my options on new or rechromed ones and who is bumperboys? It has not been cut and buffed yet it was just painted Thursday. The paint is Poppy Red. Here are a few more pics with the bumpers and the interior and engine by request. I can see this project getting out of hand quick. It was just going to be a driver but if I put new bumpers on it then it will mke the other chrome parts looks bad and I will have to replace them. Then I will need to cleanup under the hood and do something about the seats. I hate to replace the covers but one is 65 and the other is 66. Oh well we will see if I don't sell it first. Thanks for all the coments. Oh yea I need to find the right side driprail molding and the molding on the outside of the front windows that goes on the top of the door. Any thoughts?
While driving the car I thought the steering box was bad but it is the coulping that goes from the steering shaft to the box. Is this replaceable or can it be fixed? Also what is this joint called? Thanks for the help.
100_0753-1.jpg

100_0754.jpg

100_0761.jpg

100_0750.jpg

100_0751.jpg

Nice car!

Glad you decided to chrome those bumpers. It just wouldn't look that good painted.

Here is another plating company to throw at you.

http://www.tricityplating.com/

They might have some in stock already chromed and ready to ship.

-
Back