K member removal - engine in car

-
Do you plan to lift just the engine weight and work around and over the engine hoist with the K frame r and r ?

I don't like the idea of being under a car with the engine supported only by an engine hoist. It's like crawling under a car with just a floor jack and no jackstands in my opinion. I would want some sort of positive support.

Ok Lee think about this.... Your going to have just about everything removed or disconnected from the K member at one point or another doing what you stated in your opening post. What better time to pull the K member than now. Your car is going on what, 45 years old? It's probably never been out of the car and has seen its fair share of abuse over the years. When I pulled my '65's I found cracks around the lower control arm pivots and the drivers side strut rod mount was tweaked probably from someone nailing a curb or pothole at one time. Great time to pull it out, inspect it, clean it up and paint it. This only needs to be done once and you won't regret the piece of mind knowing its solid and the pleasure you'll get when you open the hood and see that shiny K looking up at you!

Put some heavy blocking under the oil pan as a backup, borrow your friend AND his hoist and get-er-done!

Too bad for me you didn't take it out and have it powder coated when you owned it! I wouldn't be in this predicament now. :)

I don't know if powder coating had been invented back in the dark ages when I owned it.

Seriously, just go to Home Depot and get an 8' 4x4. Cut it into what ever lengths you need to support the pan and cut four in that length. Use some plywood to connect them together. It's actually a good idea to leave it a little short so that the engine drops 2-3" with the k-member. It makes it easier to line up the motor mounts when you put it back in.

When I put the 440 and four speed into my old Dart hardtop all I had was three floor jacks. I managed to get it into the car from the bottom with the k-member attached. That was loads of fun........

I agree with most..... ere on the side of caution and just pull it. same amount of work no matter which way you go.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely leaning towards doing it. Now I'm contemplating sending it to Firm Feel to get it reinforced.

Lee, I think Firm Feel sells the pieces. I'd weld it up for you, but I'm a little distance. I welded up the seams on the K-member for my Barracuda, but I'm not bothering with the steering gear mount, but if I do add support I'll just fab it up.

dont like motorcycles huh.

Not really. I gotta wear my seat belt while they can ride those deadly 2 wheel drive things. And if I just bump them and they get killed it could be all my fault my legally. If they were in a 4 wheel car/suv they might not even been hurt one little bit. Its not fair or right.

Motorcycles are harder to see also. Those 3 wheel bikes just coming out seem a tad safer.. I think everything with a motor on the road should have bumpers..would save more lives.

PS..when I was younger I had a 175 CC bike, LOL it was on road/off road...luckily I never got hurt very bad..really lucky..I had to get rid of it at age 20...saved my life maybe

dont like motorcycles huh.

I assume you're referring to my signature?

It's not that I don't like motorcycles. I'm not a motorcycle guy, but I don't dislike them in general. What I hate is self-centered Bay Area people who buy a Harley and put straight pipes on it and run around town ruining everyone's peace and quiet because they want everyone to know how bitchen they are on their $25,000 motorcycle. It especially pises me off because one of these guys moved in down the street from me and he feels it necessary to blip the throttle in front of my house every time he approaches the stop sign. A lot of these guys justify the loud pipes using the quote "Loud pipes save lives." I say BS, so that's where my sig came from.

Anyway, off my soapbox and back to the topic...

Lee, I think Firm Feel sells the pieces. I'd weld it up for you, but I'm a little distance. I welded up the seams on the K-member for my Barracuda, but I'm not bothering with the steering gear mount, but if I do add support I'll just fab it up.

Thanks for the offer Jim. I have a friend that has a race car fab shop in Santa Cruz. It's a little closer. He's going to weld my LCA reinforcement plates for me on Friday. He's also got a powder coater in the same building if I decide to go that route.

He probably welds better than I do, too. I just hate sending stuff like that off when I can acocmplish the same thing for less money.

He probably welds better than I do, too. I just hate sending stuff like that off when I can acocmplish the same thing for less money.

Not sure if this still goes on but way back when the local high schools would have after school shop classes for adults--and us high schoolers who skip and flunk day classes, LOL

All you need is some help and time welding. The welder needs the right settings for the type of steel--that is where the teacher comes in. Its like riding a bike, takes some getting use to. U just need a class or two and U be a much better welder I think.

Oh, I'm not a bad welder. I mostly know what I'm doing, but my hands aren't always doing what I tell them to do. I have the same problem trying to draw a straight line with a pencil and ruler.........

After all these years I still have a place in my heart for that car. I haven't owned it since 1985, but there are very fond memories of my youth. Plus, it's been in great hands since 1987 with someone who I can call a friend. The story on that car is a wild one. The first nine years are a mystery, but since 1975 it's had four owners.

After much struggling & cursing, the k member is out. I finally got some time yesterday to devote to the project. I spent about 4 hours painstakingly loosening the rusted k member attachment bolts. I used lots of PB Blaster, some heat, a ball peen hammer and gentle but firm persuasion to get them out. No broken bolts or stripped threads!

Two things I learned - 1. Have some help when dropping the k member (I didn't) and 2. don't leave the steering box, center link and tie rods installed if you're doing it by yourself. Even though I had it strapped to the jack, it almost fell off because there was too much weight to the rear of the k member. The only thiing that saved me was the tie rods. I pointed them straight down like legs and they helped keep the whole thing balanced.

Now I just have to get the steering box, etc off and go get it cleaned up, then get it reinforced & powder coated.

I'm attaching a couple of photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0102 (Small).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0103 (Small).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 294
It is fun !!!

Esp. if you have access to a lift, engine hoist and a custom made roll-about cradle for the K-frame as well as one for the engine.

P9130059.jpg

OK. Here's an update. I've made progress on the project, but not nearly as much as I had hoped by now. Too many other things going on and various hold-ups. Anyway, the k member is clean (no thanks to A& M Motor Supply in Los Gatos who can't even run the hot tank properly), bead blasted & reinforced using the kit available from Firm Feel. We didn't use the strut rod reinforcements or the lower control arm pivot reinforcements from the kit since mine already had some installed from the factory. Dick Ross told me to leave them off. Still needs to have a few welds ground down, then powder coated & reinstalled. Here's a bunch of photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0131 (Small).JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_0128 (Small).JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_0127 (Small).JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_0125 (Small).JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_0124 (Small).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_0122 (Small).JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_0118 (Small).JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0107 (Small).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_0104 (Small).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 570
suggestion for the re-insertion, make a flat plate out of wood or a transmission jack adapter, or something that will more evenly support the K member when you go to install it. lookin good

These carts can hold K-member . slipped fast through factory holes to hold in place while assembled. Then engine with the K. And then the trans with the engine and K. This duplicates the factory carts and can be lifted with forklift. Light weight . lifts up onto car and fastens through K and straps to trans. You can see the nuts on top of k holding it on . All the K-members have these same holes any body , any engine . Originally these were just slip pins for assembly and slipped out when car was raised. They were not for disassembly, as this one is built for for both.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 378
What I hate is self-centered Bay Area people who buy a Harley and put straight pipes on it and run around town ruining everyone's peace and quiet because they want everyone to know how bitchen they are on their $25,000 motorcycle. It especially pises me off because one of these guys moved in down the street from me and he feels it necessary to blip the throttle in front of my house every time he approaches the stop sign. A lot of these guys justify the loud pipes using the quote "Loud pipes save lives." I say BS, so that's where my sig came from.

Anyway, off my soapbox and back to the topic...

Sorry guys...I came across this thread a little late and saw the motorcycle comments and I just HAVE to chime in.

I have been riding my street bike for going on 15 years.

Its a Honda VTX1300, big cruiser style bike. And yes, one of the first things I did was go out and get louder pipes on it.

Why? Mainly because I like the sound.

Is that self-centered?

Maybe.

But I dont see much of a difference there than those of us here who have other-than-stock mufflers on our mopars.

As far as the guy blipping the throttle when he comes to a stop, that is what many riders do....it actually has been shown that that helps sync up the tranny gears for smoother shifts and less lurching in the downshift. So there is a reason for it for MOST.

Do some riders make un-necessary noise?

Yep.

But unless you can say that you have never revved your Mopar's engine un-necessarily and never done a burnout and never left a stop light faster than necessary, none of us here can (IMHO) criticize someone else just because he is on a bike doing the same thing.

Do loud pipes save lives?

Thats a debate that has been around since the phrase was coined.

I will tell you this, though.

I have louder than stock pipes, twin air horns that seem to get more of a workout than I would prefer and a modulator on my headlight (makes it blink while I am riding during the day) and yet somehow brain dead cage drivers on their cell phones still manage to not see or hear me.

I feel that anything I can do to make myself more visible or to be heard, even if its iffy, is worth it to me.

Dodge freak, you said

"I gotta wear my seat belt while they can ride those deadly 2 wheel drive things. And if I just bump them and they get killed it could be all my fault my legally. If they were in a 4 wheel car/suv they might not even been hurt one little bit. Its not fair or right. "

Its not fair or right that you cant hit me without damage or injury to me?

Did you really type that?

How about this: PAY ATTENTION AND DONT "just bump" ME!!!!

Yes, if you bump me on my bike and injure or kill me it IS your fault.

If you "just bump" another car on the road you are also responsible for any damage you cause.

What you seem to be saying is that I should NOT ride a bike so that you can have the option of not paying attention while driving and bumping into me and not have to put YOURSELF at risk.

Now I call BS.

If someone is unable to drive a car without "bumping" other vehicles, maybe its time to reconsider driving.

"Deadly" is all in the eye of the beholder. They are only deadly when they are ridden irresponsibly or when OTHER vehicle drivers drive with their heads up their @sses.

I have been in a couple minor (thank God) accidents on the bike in 15 years and a number of near misses. And every time it was due to some wingnut in a car or SUV, yapping on the cell phone or driving half asleep.

Ya know whats not fair? Its not fair that I can ride my street legal motorcycle in a legal manner and STILL have to worry about getting hurt or killed due to someone else lacking enough concern for others on the road to be 100% safe when driving.

People can smoke, drink, each fast food and have unprotected sex and they have all been proven to kill ya. People PAY to do all of those. Some people may do ALL of them.

So I dont think that my riding my motorcycle legally and safely is any more of a risk than that, assuming that you as a driver of an automobile are doing YOUR part to drive safely and be aware.

Ok, rant mode off.....LOL

I dont mean to hijack this thread......but when someone says something that makes comments about motorcyclists like this I do take it personally. :angry4:

We are all enthusiasts of the road and we should all share it and act responsibly so that we can all go home to our loved ones at the end of the day after enjoying a nice ride in our classic mopars , our daily driver cars or yes, even on our motorcycles.

But Lil cuda, looks like your project is coming along very nicely! :yawinkle:

Hardlyablesons should have mufflers. or we should be able to have open headers on our cars. 4 cyl bikes should have mufflers and cats . to meet the same emission standards as a 4 cyl. car. As far as helmets don't wear them it only keeps my insurance down. Coffins are cheaper than hospital beds. Some ride to ride, some ride to say they ride. thats the difference. Helmets explode under pressure , swelling of the head could cause injury to bystanders. keep em off.

If you want to get into a debate about loud pipes on bikes, please don't do it in my thread. Please start your own.

Sorry guys...I came across this thread a little late and saw the motorcycle comments and I just HAVE to chime in.

I have been riding my street bike for going on 15 years.

Its a Honda VTX1300, big cruiser style bike. And yes, one of the first things I did was go out and get louder pipes on it.

Why? Mainly because I like the sound.

Is that self-centered?

Maybe.

But I dont see much of a difference there than those of us here who have other-than-stock mufflers on our mopars.

As far as the guy blipping the throttle when he comes to a stop, that is what many riders do....it actually has been shown that that helps sync up the tranny gears for smoother shifts and less lurching in the downshift. So there is a reason for it for MOST.

Do some riders make un-necessary noise?

Yep.

But unless you can say that you have never revved your Mopar's engine un-necessarily and never done a burnout and never left a stop light faster than necessary, none of us here can (IMHO) criticize someone else just because he is on a bike doing the same thing.

Do loud pipes save lives?

Thats a debate that has been around since the phrase was coined.

I will tell you this, though.

I have louder than stock pipes, twin air horns that seem to get more of a workout than I would prefer and a modulator on my headlight (makes it blink while I am riding during the day) and yet somehow brain dead cage drivers on their cell phones still manage to not see or hear me.

I feel that anything I can do to make myself more visible or to be heard, even if its iffy, is worth it to me.

Dodge freak, you said

"I gotta wear my seat belt while they can ride those deadly 2 wheel drive things. And if I just bump them and they get killed it could be all my fault my legally. If they were in a 4 wheel car/suv they might not even been hurt one little bit. Its not fair or right. "

Its not fair or right that you cant hit me without damage or injury to me?

Did you really type that?

How about this: PAY ATTENTION AND DONT "just bump" ME!!!!

Yes, if you bump me on my bike and injure or kill me it IS your fault.

If you "just bump" another car on the road you are also responsible for any damage you cause.

What you seem to be saying is that I should NOT ride a bike so that you can have the option of not paying attention while driving and bumping into me and not have to put YOURSELF at risk.

Now I call BS.

If someone is unable to drive a car without "bumping" other vehicles, maybe its time to reconsider driving.

"Deadly" is all in the eye of the beholder. They are only deadly when they are ridden irresponsibly or when OTHER vehicle drivers drive with their heads up their @sses.

I have been in a couple minor (thank God) accidents on the bike in 15 years and a number of near misses. And every time it was due to some wingnut in a car or SUV, yapping on the cell phone or driving half asleep.

Ya know whats not fair? Its not fair that I can ride my street legal motorcycle in a legal manner and STILL have to worry about getting hurt or killed due to someone else lacking enough concern for others on the road to be 100% safe when driving.

People can smoke, drink, each fast food and have unprotected sex and they have all been proven to kill ya. People PAY to do all of those. Some people may do ALL of them.

So I dont think that my riding my motorcycle legally and safely is any more of a risk than that, assuming that you as a driver of an automobile are doing YOUR part to drive safely and be aware.

Ok, rant mode off.....LOL

I dont mean to hijack this thread......but when someone says something that makes comments about motorcyclists like this I do take it personally. :angry4:

We are all enthusiasts of the road and we should all share it and act responsibly so that we can all go home to our loved ones at the end of the day after enjoying a nice ride in our classic mopars , our daily driver cars or yes, even on our motorcycles.

But Lil cuda, looks like your project is coming along very nicely! :yawinkle:

i put mine on a couple furniture dollys and car rollers. only took an hour to bolt in the engine, trans and K member by myself

Attachments

• p1010102.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 284
  • p1010104.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 272
  • p1010110.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 293
-
Back