Krusty is making progress....

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
less weight to move up and down, the early Koni coilovers were NOT able to be mounted upsidedown because of the way they were built. Now almost all coilover shocks can be mounted that way but it's allways good to ask skock mfg. I think they refer to this as unsprung weight.

Unsprung weight. All my cars have been like that.

Missile rear suspension.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting on my buddy Jim, and we're off to Freeland Mi. to retrieve Krusty. I'm gonna buy all the guys lunch, after loading and writing the checks. They're all great guys, and I'm thankful to my friend Al and his talented/friendly crew.
I'm kinda anxious.

Krusty pick-up morning 5-11-23.jpg

Last edited:
It's funny. I'll do what I can to take hidden weight out, but I'm sure it'll suprise me....good or bad. I really have no idea of the final weight. I haven't done an a-body in many years. Had some, but were pretty much as-is weight-wise.

Last edited:
I'm starting all the small stuff that makes Krusty a finished car. Today I'm stripping the old trunk seal, refinishing/installing a partial filler neck, sent the used and stripped gascap back to AW racecars to be painted, and took my lightened hood release and other parts in for powder. I picked up some stuff that's already been coated.

Krusty trunk seal stripping 2.jpg

Krusty gascap cut-neck bottom.jpg

Krusty gascap parts blasted.jpg

Krusty gascap parts cleared.jpg

Krusty fender decal.jpg

Krusty tail sticker gone.jpg

Krusty new weatherstrip.jpg

Krusty front parts powder.jpg

I spent 4 hours polishing the front Bogarts, a couple hours cleaning my replacement rear bumper [it needs compound and a wheel], installed a trunk lock, and bolted a couple pieces to the hood...before I misplaced them. I also found a really nice remote mirror in my inventory of junk. Gotta polish it up a bit. Now, I have to replace the front tires and have them balanced.

I spent 4 hours polishing the front Bogarts, a couple hours cleaning my replacement rear bumper [it needs compound and a wheel], installed a trunk lock, and bolted a couple pieces to the hood...before I misplaced them. I also found a really nice remote mirror in my inventory of junk. Gotta polish it up a bit. Now, I have to replace the front tires and have them balanced.
Man i need to get motivated.. you guys get so much **** done and i do like a hour here and there :)

Come on Ice.... I'm old, very gimpy, and am having my best year in five years. I want to get **** done. Tick-Tock...
Today I removed the rear bumper, and got the hole-saws out again. Rear license plate mount and hood-latch support.

Krusty hood latch support.jpg

Krusty hood latch support 2.jpg

Krusty hood latch support 4.jpg

Krusty rear bumper off.jpg

I can't believe how thick some of the most mundane parts are on these cars. I think the license-plate mount weighed as much as the latch/grill support.

Krusty license brkt.jpg

Krusty license brkt 2.jpg

Krusty license brkt 3.jpg

More parts for coating. Hey Ice...you should stop by and see my mess.

Last edited:
I just did 20 minutes of painting and i'm eating dinner, then drums :)

Loving this build, very excited to see the final product. Have you thought about using dimple dies on the holes?

I just did 20 minutes of painting and i'm eating dinner, then drums :)
I thought about buying a set, but I'm sure it would end up being another set of tools, that I'd use once. The dimple-holes look great, but I'm hiding most of mine.

Pretty good when Krusty can scare the suspension off a Camaro
LOL. Al is building lots of COPO Camaro clones for people. He and Mike at MPR, go way back together, and build similar chassis stuff. Customers bring him stolen-recovery and wrecked cars for COPO's. There were a half dozen cars in his shop over the winter, and 4 were were COPO builds. Al's a Chevy racer....but we bet he's built most of the NSS B-bodies in Mi. He's done all my chassis work over the last couple decades. My friend... Joe Pappas, stopped by the other day for lunch, and was impressed with Al's build and loved his welds. Joe is diggin Krusty.

Dropped a few more things at QC Coatings. It appears that my fuel cell is done, and I have to pick it up, and an AMC/Edelbrock intake I left for blasting and tumbling. These guys really know how to make stuff purdy.

Krusty fuel cell.jpg

Krusty fuel cell coated.jpg

Dropped a few more things at QC Coatings. It appears that my fuel cell is done, and I have to pick it up, and an AMC/Edelbrock intake I left for blasting and tumbling. These guys really know how to make stuff purdy.

View attachment 1716093465

View attachment 1716093485

Yup, have used them before, they did the sidepipes on my FFR Cobra... good guys there :) What AMC are you doing? I'm a big amc fan.. one of my first cars was a 67 rebel

Bill and the guys have been doing coatings, since before most people have heard of them, and longer than some others have been alive. Their ceramic coatings are 2nd to nobody. They stand behind them. They were my biggest sponsor on my old Carlton pro stocker.
detroit dragway 2 5-19-12 024_edited-1.JPG

I went thru an AMC phase. We still have my wife's gremlin, and my last one was a 71 SC/360.
000_0656.JPG

post hornet.jpg

Ohh man.. i have such a thing for gremlins! Never had one though... i would still love a X with a 401/4speed.. knew a guy with one when i was like 15.. wicked little car

Randall did those 401/dealer conversions. Kid I worked with at Burger King had one, in the mid 70's. Those SC/360 Hornets are some of the rarest musclecars ever made. Mine is the one that's been in all the mags, stock racing, etc....since I sold it. It was MINT

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back