Leaking AA & AAA Batteries

-

Mike69cuda

Mopar Moron
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with batteries leaking? Some of mine leak in the package before they are even used. I read that they eliminated mercury & some other stuff, & what they use now out gasses.

Are there any brands that don’t leak?

Yup. For about the last year or so. I always get either Duracell or Energizer but have had the same problem.

I've had as many nevergizer leak as any. I keep them in the fridge, that is "supposed" to help

I've found Energizers are the worst. I just buy Kirklands in the bulk packs now from Costco... they're Duracells in sheep's clothing.

I've always bought Duracell batteries. I've never experienced any batteries leaking in the package. How old are they? Even with the batteries being in a flash light, the only time they have leaked is when they were over 3-4 years old. When I put batteries in my flashlights or smoke alarms I always write the date on them. The one's in my flashlights get changed out about every 18 months or so, the smoke alarms when the time changes. I don't buy batteries for inventory.

I've had the same problems with both main brands. After Christmas last year we took batteries out of wreaths, pictures, etc and put them in baggies. All leaked.

I started buying batteries from Horror Freight. We'll see how they do.

My leakers have expiration dates of 2030 or so. I usually buy the 60 pack Rayovac at Lowes. I noticed some of the packages on the shelf have leakers.

Maybe I need to start thinking about looking for 5 year old batteries….

I've had the same problems with both main brands. After Christmas last year we took batteries out of wreaths, pictures, etc and put them in baggies. All leaked.

I started buying batteries from Horror Freight. We'll see how they do.
Wow, I can't believe all of the trouble that you guys are having with leaking batteries. I do know that the temperature they are stored in greatly affects their life.

28 years on the tool truck and had a lot of issues with Duracell leaking and ruining flashlights. No warranty there. Energizer's no problems. I have also had very good luck with the Harbor Freight Thunderbolt Alkaline.

It's ridiculous the warranty on expensive tool truck flashlights gets denied because of leaking batteries. WTF are you supposed to put in them? How do you know which ones won't leak? You don't. Just another way to slither out from under a warranty. Not directed at you, Mike, I know how the business works. They don't warranty it, you can't either, but that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. What are you supposed to do? Power them with air?

My leakers have expiration dates of 2030 or so. I usually buy the 60 pack Rayovac at Lowes. I noticed some of the packages on the shelf have leakers.

Maybe I need to start thinking about looking for 5 year old batteries….
Don't go by the expiration date. Buy them for the time frame that you're going to be using them .A pack of 60, do you have a use for that many batteries at one time? I've always bought Duracell, the last time I had a battery leak was in a older flashlight and those batteries were like 4 maybe 5 years old. As I mentioned earlier I always change my batteries out every 18 months, you'll get the best performance from them and they don't leak.

It's ridiculous the warranty on expensive tool truck flashlights gets denied because of leaking batteries. WTF are you supposed to put in them? How do you know which ones won't leak? You don't. Just another way to slither out from under a warranty. Not directed at you, Mike, I know how the business works. They don't warranty it, you can't either, but that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. What are you supposed to do? Power them with air?
Most of them had Duracell's and the flashlight manufacturer wouldn't warranty damage caused by someone else's' batteries. Getting something out of Duracell was like pulling teeth. You know the drill. Pass the buck!

How often do you change the batteries in your flashlights? That's a bummer that you can't get your flashlights replaced under warranty. I think that it's luck of the draw as far as battery life goes. They are like everything else these days poor quality.

I don't know if this really applies to your guy's problems with batteries, but the issues that you are having is one reason why I don't buy batteries in bulk unless I'm changing my flashlight batteries. Batteries that just lay around for long periods of time are known for leaking and power loss

Something happened with batteries about 10 years ago. I agree, energizers are way more likely to leak than any brand. Hell, even the harbor freight batteries are better than energizers.
I have also noticed a big decline in car battery life lately. I have always used Deka batteries and would get 5-7 years out of one. I recently had two die prematurely. One was 1.5 year and the other 4.

Has anyone else had issues with batteries leaking? Some of mine leak in the package before they are even used. I read that they eliminated mercury & some other stuff, & what they use now out gasses.

Are there any brands that don’t leak?
I've been using rechargeable AA and AAA for several years of different brands and I can't remember any leaking.

You guys are lucky it was only flashlights. I just went to use my temp tester, today. Didn't work. Opened battery compartment and 3 of the 4 AA batteries leaked all over the inside Energizer with date on the batteries of 12-2028
This is the tester that is ruined
GPD 5811585 Ball Joints | eBay

Interesting that I get 3 years out of my electronic thermostat and 2 years out of my smoke detector batteries. Energizers. I switched to the Harbor Freight batteries. We will see how long they last.

They must all be shite........I've had most of my problems with Duracell. They ruined 2 marine Garmin GPS units on me. I will never buy from them again. I have been using dollar store alkaline batteries for the last little while after watching a Market Place report on them.

The answer might just be below

1671846662253.png

I wonder what the change is? It would be interesting to find out. Always like the Eveready Logo, though. lol
EVEREADY CAT LOGO.jpg

You guys remember when batteries were made out of metal?

Now the shells are plastic
I wonder if that comes into play here

-
Back