Leave Rear glass window in or unzipped and down Conv. top?

-

56Steve

Reaction score
Hello,
I just had some work done and they zipped up my rear window to my top. A real pain!
So he say's just put the top down and leave the window in. So I asked another guy, he says unzip the window every time?
Anybody know the correct way??
Thanks in advance. I would hate to brake the rear window!
Steve

What car is this?

I’ve always thought ya just leave the window as is and put the top down. Pretty stupid to have to un zip it every time.

I always unzipped the rear window when putting the top down. Park the car in the sun for a few minutes before zipping the window back up.

When I had my top put on with the glass window, I asked the same question before I took the car from the shop. They put the top down for me with the window zipped up, BUT advised me to unzip it and lay it flat. That's what I've been doing since then. Its not worth taking the chance for me, $$, and it just takes a minute.

My 68 had the glass back widow in it. I always left it zipped.

A glass Back window can stay zipped. I Do it everyday in my 69. Early A, no idea...

I guess its to each their own...

My 67 Barracuda always zipped. I asked the PO who had the car 16 years and he always left it zipped.

Getting really close to top down weather, enjoy!!

According to 67 Dart Glove box operating instructions, leave it zipped up. ( specifically referring to glass)
20180309_094757.jpg
20180309_094740.jpg

Hello,
I just had some work done and they zipped up my rear window to my top. A real pain!
So he say's just put the top down and leave the window in. So I asked another guy, he says unzip the window every time?
Anybody know the correct way??
Thanks in advance. I would hate to brake the rear window!
Steve

depends on the car. in the later ones I think it says to leave the "glass" backlight zipped. in my 66 dart since it's plastic it says unzip it first.
convertible lowering procedure.jpg

Have had convertibles for forty years, I have never unzipped the window. Never broke one.

Have had convertibles for forty years, I have never unzipped the window. Never broke one.
Ahh, almost the same years here for me also. plus I worked at a chrysler plant that made windshields,side glass and backlight too! But I bet you scratched the heck out of the plastic ones by not unzipping and lowering it and the cloth in the zipper was probable dry rottet as all get out.. I work for a trimmer that does 60's Lincolns and every plastic window that comes in has a crease and scratched where it folds and rubs the well liner when not unzipped. the glass ones ...ahh not so much. though I do have to admit I used to never unzip mine till I realized how much it cost to replace one on a good top less than 4 years old. My take on it is if it's glass it can stay zipped, if it's plastic I'd unzip it just for scratch protection and creasing.

Recently had a NEW top put on that came with instructions.
This top I have to slightly lower stop and unzip it.
Same on the way up stop and zip it up.
I guess it depends on the maker and staying within the warranty.

i had glass in mine. i never unzipped it. never had any problems. it never crossed my mind to unzip it.

I recently had a new top installed on the 67 Barracuda.
Old top never unzipped the window.
New top the manufacture instructions say the back window is unzipped every time the top is lowered.
Done it once and found it is a PITA to zip back.

I recently had a new top installed on the 67 Barracuda.
Old top never unzipped the window.
New top the manufacture instructions say the back window is unzipped every time the top is lowered.
Done it once and found it is a PITA to zip back.

Have you tried bees wax on the zipper?

No but I will. Its new so still a little rough, need to break it in.
With the top down a few feet from the latch I unzipped it all the way. I wasn't sure if I had to or not so played it safe.
It took the wife and I, both in the back seat to zip it up...sure it was funny to watch.
Thanks for the tip.

I would like to hear from anybody who has broken their window when putting the top down. I've never unzipped mine.

Cant speak to aftermarket glass but even users manual says leave it zipped. see post #9

Last edited:
You don’t have to unzip, but I do. I like the rear window out when I drive. Put the top half up ( or down) and it makes it easier.
topless since 1965.

-
Back