let me explain my screen name, and introduce myself.

-
Na, just ad a turbo to what ya got.

Good advice there...

But, a turbo'd /6 can stand a LOT of boost (with proper forged pistons and rods) and will surprise a lot of people. Like I say, 500+ horsepower is not very hard to come-by..... ($$$)

But a stock 318 with a turbo at mild boost (say. 8-10 pounds) can easily make that much power.

Just depends on what you want...:-|

Who honestly cares about what color you are painting YOUR car? I'd tell them to get over it.
The only way to really defile a Mopar is put one of those god awful Chevy engines in it. That's simply horrible though and I'd rather crush one than put a Chevrolet engine in it.

As far as color goes, it doesn't matter IMO. Paint has nothing to do with how it goes up and down the road. Whenever I see a rough looking car driving along, I think 'Hey, at least he is driving it instead of letting sit under a carport not doing anything!!"

Purists do not like me. I have a '70 Charger 500SE. Before anyone starts on me, I am aware that not many were made. It was a car I drug out from behind a barn with no drivetrain rusting to the earth. I am adding an A100 straight axle and some stupid low gears for some street fun. It is hodge podge of '68,'69 and '70 Charger pieces. Could be still back there rusting away.

I have repurposed and recylced a car. Can those Prius driving"greenie" envoirmentalist types say they did that???

Ignore the haters and have fun with the Barracuda. I have a '69 notchback with a 360 in petty blue. Oh the horror!!

Hey 'defiler', welcome to FABO from SoCal. You're going to have fun here.
You're always going to have the uber-purists let you know when something isn't as they believe it should be. But I figure it's your money and your car, so build it the way you want. The easiest way to quiet the purists a bit (you'll never shut them up) is to tell them whatever it is they're spouting off about is something "custom" rather than GM or Ford or whatever.
For instance, my '69 Dart engine block is going to be painted a "custom" shade of blue because I like the color and it's going to 'pop' well against the Viper Red engine bay, and I'm seriously thinking about a "custom-built" overdrive tranny because it will fit without cutting the existing A-body tunnel.
Again, welcome to FABO. Post pics of your build as you go.

Bath, Ohio?

I've seen restored 318 2 barrel barracudas restored to the nth degree, no excitement there, so mod away. I have a bigger problem when much more rarer S cars get hacked. My driver is a 318 so that's the HotRod, not the 69 A56.

Not crazy about the orange, does nothing for these cars. I even saw an orange FB at Norwalk over the weekend but didn't take a pic because it did nothing for me.

My advice is: Do not paint the engine compartment black. Do not paint the trunk compt with spatter paint. Do not bolt on a pair of traction bars (don't need them because engineers did the suspensions, not the bean counters) unless they are Cal-tracs. Nothing says I used to be a GM guy like the above.
No need for a Dana, but GM guys tend to do things for show.

Welcome to FABO and the 68 FB fish. If you need some inspiration, check out this car. Basically what most of us fish guys wish we had.

As for the 4 speed, you might see if mackin still has the stuff you will need for the conversion including pedals. Don't forget the hump parts you will need. I bought his stroker and left all the 4 speed stuff with him as I have no plans to convert. Here is his car thread so you can contact him if you want.

Good luck and have fun. Don't sweat the color but then again why rub it in that it is a chebby color.

PS - I may use a GM fleet truck color (same as my 01 Silverado) for my fish but don't tell anybody.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=154281

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=141856

sounds cool to me man. go with what ever you want. im defiling mine i guess, ford rear end, chevy and ford brakes the list goes on..... im using what i can get my hands on to make it awesome, friends with junk yards help alot, try to make some.

NICE! Excellent sites. Love the trans. sight.

lol Go Bill Go!

LOL!!!!

just alittle friendly poke bud lmao:happy1::joker:

Sorry Doc, I took it the way ya meant it. I myself find the /6 a near total boat anchor. But live on and tick on down the road they always do. I have had a few. Vehicle motivation was not an issue.

Welcome to MOPAR! just some advice....a lover of classic American Muscle can appreciate a good body no matter what the make, but it will be hard to go back to the General's best after what MaMopar is servin up! You're gonna love it here it's good to have ya!!!

Hey Tom, welcome aboard! As you might've already guessed, we don't have many purists on this board. :-D I loved your intro post ... and happen to be another one with a '68 Barracuda resto mod who shares and applauds your individuality. Build it like you want.

Make yourself at home and post up some pics when you can. Keep us posted on your progress and don't be shy with the questions .... you'll find all the help you need right here.

"

"One such question might be, "Which engine to use?""

My choice would be a slant six, an early one with the forged steel crank (up through about 1974.

Why a slant 6?

Because it's a too-well-kept secret that a turbocharged slant 6 can, for the money, easily outperform most normally-aspirated small blocks. Forced induction small blocks and all big blocks are in a different ballpark, however (and, require a different bankroll.)

But, for the MONEY SPENT, the slant six with a single turbo can be a 500+ horsepower engine with lots of advantages.

For example, no expensive Dana 9.75" rear end (nor even an 8.75") is required, or even desirable; a 2.76:1, 8.25" (available cheap, at virtually any junkyard) will work great with that engine, and will exhibit excellent road manners and give you a workable hiway gear, as well.

Only six pistons and rods (not 8, have to be bought, and although headers CAN be built aand used, they are not necessary. A simple, 90-degree elbow can be attached to the stock exhaust manifold, and the turbo bolted to that.

The turbo homoginizes the sound waves and makes the engine quiet enough that no muffler is needed...

The turbo /6 makes its power below 5,500 rpm, so stock rockers and shimmed 340 valve springs are plenty to prevent valve float. Normally-aspirated small block V8's need a lot more rpm than that to make good power, which necessitates an expensive valve train.

Because it lives below 5,500 rpm, the /6 lasts a l-o-n-g time...

A variety of 4-bbl manifolds are available, both new and used, for the /6. A blow-thru 4bbl Holley 4150 is usually the carb of choice.

The stock compression ratio of around 9:1 works well for turbocharging this motor. Pump gas works unto you up the boost to over 10 pounds, or so...

One of our members here (Shaker223) bolted a Buick Grand National turbocharger from a junkyard, onto his mostly stock (stock cam, compression, pistons, etc.) 1970 Dart Swinger and it went 12.95 @ 102mph....

Now, with more mods, it runs 122mph at 11-seconds flat (3,300 pounds.)

A lighter car ('66 Valiant) is Ryan Peterson's with basically the same engine specs (both these cars have rear axle ratios in the 2's) has run 127 mph in the mid tens-second range in the quarter.

The point is, they were built a LOT cheaper than a normally-aspirated V8 with equal performance, in my opinion.

Just some food for thought.... :happy1: a different way....
Ive a 66 ford shop truck with a 240 I6 that has about a zillion miles on it, does not smoke, burn oil or make any bad noises.32 PSI oil pressure at idle, It sips gas at nearly 20 MPG and produces mountains of torque over a broad RPM range. Harmonically speaking, a straight 6 is clearly superior: there isnt any oppositional torsion on the rotating assembly, which explains why they run more smoothly for damned near forever.....And with 7 main bearings, (ford) the bottom end will probably never come apart. .....and thats exactly where the beastly, brawny I 6 belongs: In a truck.

Respectfully, I cannot relive the dreams of my youth minus 2 cylinders. There is no finer sound on this planet than a built small block twisting 7000 + RPM at full song through headers and hollowed-out glasspacks. I cant imagine a buzzin' half dozen under the hood of a 68 barracuda.........however, if you gave me something much lighter, like a valiant or earlier barracuda and let few turbos fall out of the sky, i would definitely consider that build.

But as of now.....i think im going with a stroked 360 with ported 340 J or X heads and a 4 speed.

well if thats the way u want to go then hell ya do it to it but we would like some pics of what ur starting with

I was afraid you were gonna put a chevie engine in a mopar. The gm color I can live with..

Welcome....the guys here are great from what I have found..I've only sign up as well...build the way you want..its yours...no matter what others think....hell I have 17 inch wheels on mine..I like it..others may not..but its not theres...same as your car...go for what ever you want...like Burger Kings says...HAVE IT YOUR WAY....:cheers:

Wayne :burnout:

::hello2:Welcome.....If its a 318 car screw it do what you want with it.I don't like orange on the 67-69 Barracudas,but Mopar had a few good orange colors.I like the darker colors on this body style for some reason.And don't get me wrong orange has been my faorite color all my life.
Oh ya post a few pics we like pics...

Ive a 66 ford shop truck with a 240 I6 that has about a zillion miles on it, does not smoke, burn oil or make any bad noises.32 PSI oil pressure at idle, It sips gas at nearly 20 MPG and produces mountains of torque over a broad RPM range. Harmonically speaking, a straight 6 is clearly superior: there isnt any oppositional torsion on the rotating assembly, which explains why they run more smoothly for damned near forever.....And with 7 main bearings, (ford) the bottom end will probably never come apart. .....and thats exactly where the beastly, brawny I 6 belongs: In a truck.

Respectfully, I cannot relive the dreams of my youth minus 2 cylinders. There is no finer sound on this planet than a built small block twisting 7000 + RPM at full song through headers and hollowed-out glasspacks. I cant imagine a buzzin' half dozen under the hood of a 68 barracuda.........however, if you gave me something much lighter, like a valiant or earlier barracuda and let few turbos fall out of the sky, i would definitely consider that build.

But as of now.....i think im going with a stroked 360 with ported 340 J or X heads and a 4 speed.

Hey, whatever floats your boat... :)

I am a practical type, and like a "fun" car that will live a long, healthy life, and demonstrate a driver-friendly attitude in the process. Audio vagaries aside, the turbo /6 has it all over a 7,000 rpm V8 with the attendant long-duration cam, and the driveability issues that come with it.

The turbo cams that work well in /6s only have 220 degrees of duration at .050"-lift, so they act at part-throttle, pretty much like a stock cam... with loads of low-end torque, and a smooth idle.

With a redline of 5,500, they will probably outlive the 7,000-rpm small block, in the long run.

Given that they are a cheaper build, for myriad reasons, the turbo /6 cars appeal to my practical side. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

My other car is a Vortech-supercharged, mid-11 second 360 '72 Valiant, so I have both worlds to "play" with... :) They're both fun...

But, I'm not made out of money, so the turbo'd /6 car is my fave, right now... Just MY preference...

-
Back