Losing a Loved One

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that mourning is not only the grieving of your loved one but a metamorphosis of you yourself "passing away". You are completely changed. Your likes, activities, lifestyle, outlook, everything changes. You are no longer the person you were.That person died with your loved one. I guess that's why it takes a while to finally learn how to live with the pain. We shut ourselves off, cocooning ourselves like a butterfly. After awhile, we work our way out but as a completely different being. Never the same as before.

I've come to the conclusion that mourning is not only the grieving of your loved one but a metamorphosis of you yourself "passing away". You are completely changed. Your likes, activities, lifestyle, outlook, everything changes. You are no longer the person you were.That person died with your loved one. I guess that's why it takes a while to finally learn how to live with the pain. We shut ourselves off, cocooning ourselves like a butterfly. After awhile, we work our way out but as a completely different being. Never the same as before.
that sir - is fantastic

They must live on in YOU, what they knew, and shared with you.
There is no death, just separation.
TELL the stories they shared with you, the things they lived, that they live on despite this separation that must happen.
I taught my children that one of the most important things in life is learning to remember.
Otherwise we might as well be gnats.
I cherish my memories, the stories of my family, the smallest details, and never shy from telling these stories.
Take comfort in knowing that you can make the lost one live on in the lives of others,
as you share their personality and experiences.

They must live on in YOU.

my father in law died last year and my wife has been mourning him
but ive pointed out to her several times that he is not truly gone
the way she reasons, the decisions she makes, a lot of that is simply the way her dad raised her, still going strong in her

Agree, the person's influence continues long after they leave us. Therefore it is also important that each of us tries to be a good influence. Thanks Tom for sharing your influence!

It takes a long time to get over it. Death is a natural part of life but it is just so much for the Mind to process and understand.

It doesn't work like that with me.
For one the person that died was always going to at some point, and that person that died a lot of times isn't the person that lived in the first place.
My Mother and Father both passed away within one month of each other awhile back and neither one of them were the persons I had as a Mother and Father for some time before they went.

I miss them sure, but we all go at some point and I don't seem to mourn, just miss them being there as if they just moved so far away I'll never see them again.

Now my Sister, she'll bust out crying for the next 20 years or longer probably.

It becomes a part of your life. Who you are. What makes you up. I can hear Daddy in the back of my mind everyday saying, "Don't do that, stupid" and a myriad of other snappy things he'd say. But that was one of the ways he said he loved us, so I cherish it.

Tom, with your recent experience, I have to agree with you.

For the longest time I sat and second guessed myself even when I knew I did the right thing. Holding the hand of your loved one - you're most cherised one - as she takes her last breath and you listen to her heart stop beating as I did... A person can't help but be changed by that.

Loving those clear, sunny, and chilled fall days and then spending those days alone, just on the heels of saying good bye and dreading those days now because they'll bring those memories back and the desperate feeling of such loneliness.

Driving down the road and seeing something and thinking how much you think, "I've got to tell, Sarah about that!" and having the sinking feeling of realization come back that she's not waiting at home for you to tell her.

The dreams that haunt you. "She's alive!" Only to wake up and know she's not laying beside you. And the anger and overwhelming sadness that hits you in the chest like a freight train.

Thinking of her and literally feeling a pain in your chest.

It does change you.

It's on us, though, to control that change.

I sit now and share those memories of the best of times and hold her to me once again. With a glad heart and love, having known her and now being able to share those memories with people who didn't.

We know I've since remarried (and been judged for it, but that's a story for a different day) and have a handsome, smart little boy born on the anniversary of Sarah's death, in one of God's twists.

He's taken the memories of those lonely fall days and filled them with joy again.

So, yes, you're right. We do change. But a lot of times in ways we can never imagine.

It becomes a part of your life. Who you are. What makes you up. I can hear Daddy in the back of my mind everyday saying, "Don't do that, stupid" and a myriad of other snappy things he'd say. But that was one of the ways he said he loved us, so I cherish it.

Being an old guy ive had all my older family pass on. I've come to realize that it was how I was treated growing up that endeared me to the people I knew. I'm sorry to say that when my parents passed I was sad but not overcome. I was much closer to my wife's parents who were the greatest people ever and was devastated when they died.
I'm very close to the guys I grew up racing with and even closer to a couple of my Army buddies for obvious reasons. I'm saddened when one of the members here passes on or asks for special prayers for a loved one specially a child like little McKinley. So I guess for me grief comes in different forms. I've never been one to hide my emotions very well but I'm ok with that.
Dan

Very well said. When my wife passed away in 2015 it was so sudden I basically was in shock for 6 months.
She was driving my 91 mustang convertible when the anirism hit and in an instant was gone. Must have felt something was wrong as she was found pulled over on side of road.
Put the car in storage and for almost a yr. could not bring myself to look at it let alone drive it.
Then all of a sudden started coming out of my funk and realized things will never be the same but i most get on with my life and do the best i can for myself and family everyday. That is what she would have wanted and done if roles were reversed.
Now that very mustang brings a smile to my face.

life is a series of memories. good, bad, in between. memories make us what we are.

there are no road maps to he griving process. we just find our own way. it takes as long as it takes. there is no shame in missing anyone. no shame to let out a tear or big tears.

You should see the movie Demolition. Extreme example of what all of our minds go through.
Stands to reason that if taking someone into your heart changes you, loosing that someone would cause change again.

I'm married since 1969, we had a son in 1971 and a girl in 1974...........I was the first father to assist at the delivery of the baby in that hospital, so I withness the very first breath of my son......

In 2007, my son died of cancer (3 cancers in 2 years) and now my daughter announce us that she got a cancer..........

Only this year that I realized that I withness the FIRST and the LAST breath of my child......

We all have our own life.......

If I may, I'd like to post a picture of my son' GTX and my daughter' Scamp.......

GTX & Scamp.png

Beautiful words brother, I`m feeling your pain, as I have lost 3 family members within a year, 2 at the same time 2 months ago. ALL TRAGIC losses. My older brother died the 6th of this month last year, I knew his alcoholism, would eventually take his life and was so painful for my parents to see him in his condition. He ran head on into a large work truck with his 4 wheeler. Tragic but I was able to move on with life after about a week.
My 83 year old father had a stroke back in December, lost his mind and shot my mother who would have been 80 2 days ago and my 60 year old sister dead. He now gets to die in a ungodly cage, I don`t think he`ll last very long.
It`s just me and my younger brother left. This has destroyed me, of all days, this had to happen on friday 13 in may. A day that will live in infamy for the rest of my life. I have been sick to my stomach ever since and can barely sleep, I don`t know if I`ll ever be right again.
GOD bless.

I'm married since 1969, we had a son in 1971 and a girl in 1974...........I was the first father to assist at the delivery of the baby in that hospital, so I withness the very first breath of my son......

In 2007, my son died of cancer (3 cancers in 2 years) and now my daughter announce us that she got a cancer..........

Only this year that I realized that I withness the FIRST and the LAST breath of my child......

We all have our own life.......

If I may, I'd like to post a picture of my son' GTX and my daughter' Scamp.......

View attachment 1714950798
That's awful.
We look for increase in life, to see our parents live to old age, to see our children bring us grandchildren, and the joy of sharing.
But there is no "fairness", no guarantee that we will not suffer the trials of Job, who would not curse God despite all the tribulations of evil thrown at him.
Your life is witness to the goodness that exists, to the promise of tomorrow, to overcoming the seeming endless entropy.
Love prevails over all, even in the Valley of the shadow of death.
Peace unto you.

I keep thinking about this thread.

Tom, hopefully - prayerfully - you've been able to surround yourself with supportive people.

It's difficult for a man to be allowed to grieve. Too often is there a stigma attached of "you're a man, you're not allowed to show tears."

When Sarah and I lost Katie I was treated as such by people in periphery. On the first Mother's Day after burying our daughter Sarah was treated like a queen at church. On the first Father's Day, I was treated like **** by the pastor and the lay leader.

The lay leader was going to give a presentation that had nothing to do with Father's Day. It was demanded of me that I had to carry the TV into the Sanctuary as her fat *** husband used the excuse of his bad back that he couldn't.

All I wanted to do was sit in prayer and worship God on a day where I was a father without a child. Instead, I was told that I'm no longer a father and I should just get over it.

This came from an older couple, who chastised Sarah and I for grieving, telling us we weren't parents. Especially me, the man, who should suck it up and deal with it.

I've come across the attitude to a certain extent, from others.

When Sarah passed away, I surrounded myself with good friends and especially family, all of whom loved Sarah in one way or another. The church I was in was loving and kind and full of compassion. The pastor broke down during Sarah's funeral with tears of his own.

I have a good friend whom I met on here who would come to the house and sit with me and talk for hours. Another good friend from one of my former jobs would do the same. They did so in their own, I didn't have to call and ask.

Of course, when I took my sabbatical and traveled up and down the coast I met even more wonderful people from here who full of compassion and support and understanding. I call them all friends, even though I haven't spoken to a few in awhile.

I had to separate myself from negativity. There was enough in my own head.

Seek out the positive in your life, with the positive people who will reaffirm you, who will lift you up and hold you close.

My door is always open. I know money is tight for you, but if you ever find yourself in New York for any reason, you will find there isn't a stranger behind my door.

That's beautiful,Tom.. Lost mom's, April 27th,2015.... Losing friends younger than me,(I'm 48..),at a rate of three a year... Still in a kind of shell shock,and dealing with it. Losing the familiarity and personal connection,usually makes me pull back from normal social form,for me...

I keep thinking about this thread.

Tom, hopefully - prayerfully - you've been able to surround yourself with supportive people.

It's difficult for a man to be allowed to grieve. Too often is there a stigma attached of "you're a man, you're not allowed to show tears."

When Sarah and I lost Katie I was treated as such by people in periphery. On the first Mother's Day after burying our daughter Sarah was treated like a queen at church. On the first Father's Day, I was treated like **** by the pastor and the lay leader.

The lay leader was going to give a presentation that had nothing to do with Father's Day. It was demanded of me that I had to carry the TV into the Sanctuary as her fat *** husband used the excuse of his bad back that he couldn't.

All I wanted to do was sit in prayer and worship God on a day where I was a father without a child. Instead, I was told that I'm no longer a father and I should just get over it.

This came from an older couple, who chastised Sarah and I for grieving, telling us we weren't parents. Especially me, the man, who should suck it up and deal with it.

I've come across the attitude to a certain extent, from others.

When Sarah passed away, I surrounded myself with good friends and especially family, all of whom loved Sarah in one way or another. The church I was in was loving and kind and full of compassion. The pastor broke down during Sarah's funeral with tears of his own.

I have a good friend whom I met on here who would come to the house and sit with me and talk for hours. Another good friend from one of my former jobs would do the same. They did so in their own, I didn't have to call and ask.

Of course, when I took my sabbatical and traveled up and down the coast I met even more wonderful people from here who full of compassion and support and understanding. I call them all friends, even though I haven't spoken to a few in awhile.

I had to separate myself from negativity. There was enough in my own head.

Seek out the positive in your life, with the positive people who will reaffirm you, who will lift you up and hold you close.

My door is always open. I know money is tight for you, but if you ever find yourself in New York for any reason, you will find there isn't a stranger behind my door.
I understand what you went through as I am going through this now. I have no one who I can surround myself with. I am like a man stranded on an island. Last Friday night I sat here alone and drank myself till I passed out. I was very tempted to get all Dee's medicines and swallow ALL the pills. I really feel like there is no reason for me to live. I literally live a life of torture now, constantly alone, empty and lost.

I understand what you went through as I am going through this now. I have no one who I can surround myself with. I am like a man stranded on an island. Last Friday night I sat here alone and drank myself till I passed out. I was very tempted to get all Dee's medicines and swallow ALL the pills. I really feel like there is no reason for me to live. I literally live a life of torture now, constantly alone, empty and lost.
I have people with helpful "words", but that is no substitute for lending a hand with
the immense amount of work I must accomplish before Aug 16 to be out of my house.
I started a new job, today is the 4th day, and I'm working 10 hours, plus avg 2 hours each way to go 30 miles, with O'Hare airport smack dab in the middle.
After a 14 hour day, I am too exhausted to do much packing.
I have not figured out how I am paying for storage yet, etc.
Alcohol is a waster of time, but a mildly useful crutch.
Don't let it lie to you.
The answer is only a short way down the bottle, not at the bottom.
Alcohol, like other drugs, only wants more.
Please do not listen to the lies it tells.

hey mister - you ain't coming on here enough - the coffee shop misses ya and it's "open" just about 24/7.. come around, pull up a chair, have a cup

yes you come on this site more man, you know the support you have here. I wish I could could come up with all the right words to help you out but all I can do I write just some of what I feel and think. the last dozen or so comments are so right on I feel.
first let me tell you like just said. alcohol is only a small crutch. it is a d epressant, it will make you feel better for just a very short while, then it will proceed to do you such terrible harm. yes I too lost a good friend due to it.
yes, find the right people to surround yourself with. those that will lift you in this time of your life, not pull you down. they are put there. YOU will have to find them, and let them recognize you need their support.
the RIGHT church, composed of the RIGHT pastor and people, can be such a help. please do not blame God for the path of life. look to HIM for his mercy, wisdom, and guidance. please.
don't be a stranger on here.

-
Back