Massive oil leaks.

-
RTV........ Only RTV on mine is on the end seals of the intake. I don't think I built your engine so the same builder would be me.

Id love to race anyone at this point. As soon as I figure out how to install a kitty litter sump in the back to keep the oil from slinging all over the track I'm there.

Then,, I think I'd be phoning Joe Sherman,, asking what he's like to do with that motor,, cuz you're still waiting for a quality motor to be delivered... jmo

Complete tear down on a brand new Joe Sherman build? I think I will call my cousin Vinny and see what he thinks. LOL.

Hey, fuckin broke is fuckin broke - regardless of builder. Rings should have seated within the first few minutes of the dyno - in fact this is a great way to seat rings - a steady resistance for a few minutes. By then if the wall finish was right, and the walls were clean, and moly rigns were used - they will be very close to fully seated. You have multiple dyno pulls, plus your miles, and the rings leak down like a 100K mile 318 that hasn't had an oil change in years. It should be taken down, cleaned (due to debris on the plug), the finish checked, the cylinders honed, and new rings and cam bearings installed. Might also want to check the main and rod bearings. Basically - you've got a $13K pile of ****. When it goes back together - put a PCV in one v=cover and breather in the other...

Joe Sherman is a liar. The biggest thief I've ever dealt with. Don't ever let a 70 year old senile Chevy builder that works 2 hours a day have $13k to build a mopar. Bad move by me. I'm the idiot. Never met a bigger liar than Joe Sherman.

Wow. Was hoping for better news as I followed this thread from day 1. Sorry for your loss financially. Did you ask him if any of his guys were missing a razor blade and a paper clip?

Joe Sherman is a liar. The biggest thief I've ever dealt with. Don't ever let a 70 year old senile Chevy builder that works 2 hours a day have $13k to build a mopar. Bad move by me. I'm the idiot. Never met a bigger liar than Joe Sherman.

So....just a piece of advice from someone who watched a similar thing happen to a close friend after the builder completely screwed his numbers matching 427 ford.

Watch what you say on the internet and publicly about this guy. If he learns of it and gets an attorney, now he sues you for character defamation, especially if he'd argue your comments hurt his business's bottom line. And he'd have a case, especially with the way CA judges are these days, heck judges anywhere.

My advice, HIRE A DAMN LAWYER and let him fight this battle for you. I'd try for every dime you spent there back and court costs/lawyer fees. And do it soon as there are statue of limitations on these things.

In my buddy's case...it's still in court 4 years later after the shop sued him for making a bad review online about the shop......

A little oil can go a long way in making a mess. How much did you lose? I'am guessing a pint. Anyways it don't matter. Just fix it. You chose the breather setup right? If you want only one breather it should be big. Not one with a half inch tube thru the cover. This will give you a chance to check out everything real close. Make sure its all good, the way you want it. Its a learning experience!

I feel like I should start another thread on crankcase vacuum pumps. This new build has 14% cold leakdown and as soon as I put a pump on the gaskets stopped blowing. The HP pickup I could feel in the seat of my pants. The oil is so clean now mainly because the rings are sealing. I have no oil in the puke canister and took it out for 60 mile run a couple weeks ago. If you can find a way to fit in a vac pump I say do it. I ended up adding one to my small block as well.
The folks that say they are not good for street application might be missing something. It is a pricey add on though.

I met Wazoo64 in person about 4 weeks ago. Great guy & man of his word. I drove my car out to his shop. I Took a ride in this car... Damn thing runs its *** off after all the repairs & Vac pump install . Mega torque monster. It handles very well at speed with the RMS k frame and his 4 link rear..... Got me thinking about a BB car for sure with all that torque! Both of his cars are no joke.. Sweet *** rides & you will not find another one like them anywhere.

And yes a VAC Pump makes a huge difference. I run one on my car as well. I drive it anywhere 100's of miles at a time.

Haha. Poor Mad Dart. You should have never given me your cell. 24/7 tech support now. Good stuff.

this is a good example of WHY you should build your own engines ! no one to blame but yourself !! :coffee2:

The 1st and last motor I ever paid someone to assemble was a 340.the guy who built hundreds of motors mostly chevy.put it togeather with the piston rings upside down.iol scrapers were in right though.moroso breathers in both covers with a PVC.that motor blew oil right from startup.it came out the dipstick tube so much it coated the pass side of the car in 10 min.oil ran down the headlight bulb,grill,right inner fender.rev it to6000 rpm it would blow the passenger side breather right out of the valve cover.if you vent both covers and PVC it and it still blows oil.problem is broken ring or rings.wrong ring gap,ring lands installed lined up or upside down.

-
Back