master cyl pushrod

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
OK. I give up. I can't get the thing out no way no how. It's sitting in my vice right now. I'm hopin' some damn fairies come yank it out overnight.

Is there some trick or something?

are you close to san francisco?

put the pushrod in the vice...and hit old master cylinder with BFH....

what you can also try is
put the master back in place
reinstal the push rod back to the pedal
grab the pedal and pull as hard as you can

it work for me

I took the "saddle" off of my floor jack, put the pushrod through the hole, slid a long screw driver through the pushrod hole under the jack, then raised the jack & it popped right out. Super easy. PM me if you need a better explanation.

Hammer didnt work for me. To get mine out we put the end of the rod that attaches to the pedal in a hitch receiver and put a pin in it. Then we took an atv with a winch and attached that to the master cylinder. Then poof it came out.

what you can also try is

it work for me

watch that . you can beat the hell out of the brake light switch..

what you can also try is

it work for me

Be careful using this method. When the rod does pop loose, the brake pedal will come up quickly and bend the **** out of your brake light switch bracket. Just did this!! It does work, but I would use restraint and just jerk the pedal, not pull with all of your might!!

Edit: I guess I should have read all the way to the bottom of the thread before posting

Be careful using this method. When the rod does pop loose, the brake pedal will come up quickly and bend the **** out of your brake light switch bracket. Just did this!! It does work, but I would use restraint and just jerk the pedal, not pull with all of your might!!

Edit: I guess I should have read all the way to the bottom of the thread before posting

haha I was wondering how my switch got bent out of place.

Wonder how many guys got that one.

Gonna try all mentioned methods in about 10 minutes.......so if and when I get it out, do I have to beat it in the new MC?

Wow I just unbolted my mastercylinder and slid it out a little and the rod fell out.I hope my isn't defective.

Mine wouldn't come out either a week ago, until I hit it one time harder. MC above vise w/ piston sitting on jaws, put 1/4" socket extension thru pushrod hole and beat down w/ a framing hammer. All that holds it in is a rubber O-ring, but usually hard and brittle so you must rip it apart. Penetrating oil helps.

Wow I just unbolted my mastercylinder and slid it out a little and the rod fell out.I hope my isn't defective.
If power brakes, the rod does slide out. I suspect the O-ring lock in manual brakes is just to prevent rattles and to center the rod. I can't see the rod popping out on its own.

I've done a few master cylinders and always just clamp the master in a vise and put a vise grip as tight as I can on the rod. Then I use a long pry bar between the vise grip and master. Pops right out every time.

Originally Posted by crazy 340
what you can also try is

it work for me

This can also cause the piston to come out & leak fluid all over. There is only a tiny tin washer holding the piston into the master & is easily bent.

..................Heat the rod close to the piston with a hair dryer or heat gun........softens up the rubber enough to pull it out.............kim..........

Clamp the rod sideways in the vice, leaving just enuff room between the jaws of the vice, and the mounting face of the M/C,, for a pry bar,, and pry the m/c off the rod.. usually pops right off.. I usually use one of those 3 ft. pry bars..

I also like undoing the four mounting bolts,, pulling the m/c far enuff from the firewall to slip in a piece of wood/spacer,, and then pull up on the pedal, - this works great, and avoids hitting the brake lite switch,,,

hope it helps

heat the end closest to the master and it pulls out easily. It softens the rubber. Less chance of bending the tip as some have done. But if you do damage it I have some.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say the floor jack method worked like a champ.

AlV

All I do is clamp the rod in vise with master hanging down fill push rod hole with brake clean go have lunch come back pull of master

-
Back