mild build 440 7qt oil pan.. oil pump ?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
I was told to use a hv oil pump and swap the spring out with a stock spring is the way to go....but also told a stock oip pump will be just fine with the 7 qt pan... thoughts....

A stock volume pump is all I run in a 10.90 car, with 5w30 Quaker State. Never hurts a bearing.

HV is dangerous, you can run out of oil quickly at the pickup. If you keep the oil at the proper level, and have that 7qt pan it has advantages.

for a street car, at 2000 rpm stuck in traffic on a 95 degree day, you will still have great oil pressure.
it also allows you to run 10/30 or 10/40 and have the same pressure as if you were running 20/50. this is good when you have 75k miles on the engine and it's loosening up.
i dont think it helps race cars much at all to be honest. unless you have cooling problems or need extra oil over the valve train or something special in your build.
like turbos.
Turbos can operate at very high RPMs, depending on the vehicle, make and model. It is very important to keep the oil supply entering the turbo full and clean to ensure proper lubrication. If the oil supply drops too low or becomes contaminated with debris, it is highly likely that the turbo unit may become damaged.

p.s. HV pumps do NOT give you leeway to rev high before the oil is warmed up. never run a cold engine to high rpms (or even high enough to actuate a turbo)

What are the bearing clearances? What rpm do you plan to run this at? What's the horsepower range you're looking for?

-
Back