Missed on this combo?

-
It wasn't a blanket statement as I have pretty extensive experience with the Super Victor, so in this case it is my actual experience that I am sharing. Maybe you should have enlarged your intake much larger than you did, In your case I have never used those heads so I cannot predict what the results would be. Unlike you I DO get extensive R&D time on my dyno so maybe you made me realize I give away too much and I'll shut my trap from now on. J.Rob
Hey, forget that "trap shut" crap. You are one of my sources of higher education.

Okay now, I'm back to just watching.

It wasn't a blanket statement as I have pretty extensive experience with the Super Victor, so in this case it is my actual experience that I am sharing. Maybe you should have enlarged your intake much larger than you did, In your case I have never used those heads so I cannot predict what the results would be. Unlike you I DO get extensive R&D time on my dyno so maybe you made me realize I give away too much and I'll shut my trap from now on. J.Rob
It was a blanket statement regarding the super victor intake. I'm not doubting that you've found that to be the case with every super victor intake on every combo you've dyno'd. I'm doubting that you've dyno'd every possible combination that a sbm super vic could wind up on thereby making it a blanket statement. I would love to have tried ootb, port matched and oversize intakes with the victor heads. I would have also love to have tried two more cams as I think I missed quite a bit of power with what I had ground, but it's just not practical when you're talking R3 cam cores. Like you, I had never used the victor head before. I'm a nobody, don't let my opinion bother you.

Hey, forget that "trap shut" crap. You are one of my sources of higher education.

I should have just stayed in "watching" mode, lol. I wish I had my own dyno like you and RAMM... I'd love to do as much R&D as you two post up.

It was a blanket statement regarding the super victor intake. I'm not doubting that you've found that to be the case with every super victor intake on every combo you've dyno'd. I'm doubting that you've dyno'd every possible combination that a sbm super vic could wind up on thereby making it a blanket statement. I would love to have tried ootb, port matched and oversize intakes with the victor heads. I would have also love to have tried two more cams as I think I missed quite a bit of power with what I had ground, but it's just not practical when you're talking R3 cam cores. Like you, I had never used the victor head before. I'm a nobody, don't let my opinion bother you.
You really can't run a SV out of the box. They come tiny, man. I mean small. They assume your porting so they leave them way undersize.

wonder if there are any dyno sheets that could be found with the super victor intake and similar combo, maybe that's what the torque curve is with this intake??

How To Build A Pump-Gas 620hp Small-Block Mopar - Car Craft Magazine

This was a build featured in HRM a couple years back... using the SV intake with ported Edelbrock heads.
Torque was equally low as Ironmike's build... cam specs were 260/266 Degrees Duration At 0.050 And 0.683/0.657 Lift (with 1.65:1 Rocker Arms). OK it's a magazine build :)

Back to watching only mode.

I'm not that smart Jim but I'm smart enough to know when smoke is being blown up my arse. Higher education--says the man who grew up under his father building Nascar engines. Sheesh! J.Rob

You really can't run a SV out of the box. They come tiny, man. I mean small. They assume your porting so they leave them way undersize.
You can but you obviously wouldn't. The point would be to learn all about the choke due to small CSA. Talking about doing it to learn something on the dyno, not saying you would ever run it that way.

If you had reversion going on,(no saying you did on didn't)having a smaller intake port would break up the exh air trying to go buck up your manifold. aka my have given you more bottom end. So may have been if you had installed a carb spacer that was designed to control reversion. There are all kind of trick/bandaids(depending on how you look at things) That could have improved this combo.

This is Just my opinion but if you get the chance to re test these head, with their improvements. Let Brett Miller and anyone who is or was involved in these heads, along with the cam manufacturer of your choice, design a better cam.
Think about this. you have already had a custom cam built and have data on two different heads(dyno pulls) to build a better mouse trap.
The only negative to this approach is that it won't be apples to apples test...................

EDIT talking about using a smaller intake mouth then the head. In reverse the air hits the wall made by the smaller manifold mouth.

Last edited:
If you had reversion going on,(no saying you did on didn't)having a smaller intake port would break up the exh air trying to go buck up your manifold. aka my have given you more bottom end. So may have been if you had installed a carb spacer that was designed to control reversion. There are all kind of trick/bandaids(depending on how you look at things) That could have improved this combo.

This is Just my opinion but if you get the chance to re test these head, with their improvements. Let Brett Miller and anyone who is or was involved in these heads, along with the cam manufacturer of your choice, design a better cam.
Think about this. you have already had a custom cam built and have data on two different heads(dyno pulls) to build a better mouse trap.
The only negative to this approach is that it won't be apples to apples test...................

EDIT talking about using a smaller intake mouth then the head. In reverse the air hits the wall made by the smaller manifold mouth.
You know man, I'd love to re-test the heads. Or even the better 255 version, but for some reason these guys want nothing to do with me. Geez man, I was pretty damn decent about the whole thing and so was Rod. I think the other dude is running the show on this whole head program.

I told Rod I have the perfect test bed ready to go. Right here, right now. I'm more than willing. I just think after this dilemma Mr Miller is going figure it out and probably build his own shortblock for testing. I think it's just I'm nobody. He can't very well have his stuff tested by nobody. Some people feel that way.

I wish I would have tried those damn Edelbrocks with a Victor 340 intake. I had one close by and didn't even give it a chance. Also wish now that I didn't sell the Eddy's so quickly. The guy that bought them is happy as a fat kid on cake.

Welllll, i hope that Mr Miller at least keeps us in the loop.

You know man, I'd love to re-test the heads. Or even the better 255 version, but for some reason these guys want nothing to do with me. Geez man, I was pretty damn decent about the whole thing and so was Rod. I think the other dude is running the show on this whole head program.

I told Rod I have the perfect test bed ready to go. Right here, right now. I'm more than willing. I just think after this dilemma Mr Miller is going figure it out and probably build his own shortblock for testing. I think it's just I'm nobody. He can't very well have his stuff tested by nobody. Some people feel that way.

I wish I would have tried those damn Edelbrocks with a Victor 340 intake. I had one close by and didn't even give it a chance. Also wish now that I didn't sell the Eddy's so quickly. The guy that bought them is happy as a fat kid on cake.

I wish you would let me do a set of W-2's for that engine. I'd use my valve job, port work including the intake manifold and I'd pick the cam and see what it does. Me thinks I could do 650-660 pretty easy. And the torque would come back.

Here's the deal...you find the parts, I do the work for free. Including plenty of bench time.

Let me know. I'm dead serious. And I'll do it with a valve no bigger than a 2.055. May even be a bit smaller like 2.040 or something. And probably a 1.50-1.55 exhaust valve. If it didn't make 650 I'd buy all the **** back from you. Plus, I'd like to fly out to the dyno test. If possible.

Let me know. I'm ready.

I wish you would let me do a set of W-2's for that engine. I'd use my valve job, port work including the intake manifold and I'd pick the cam and see what it does. Me thinks I could do 650-660 pretty easy. And the torque would come back.

Here's the deal...you find the parts, I do the work for free. Including plenty of bench time.

Let me know. I'm dead serious. And I'll do it with a valve no bigger than a 2.055. May even be a bit smaller like 2.040 or something. And probably a 1.50-1.55 exhaust valve. If it didn't make 650 I'd buy all the **** back from you. Plus, I'd like to fly out to the dyno test. If possible.

Let me know. I'm ready.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LOLZ One more condition please, Start a thread and document and SHARE everything--please track your hours as well. J.Rob

Speaking of W2's I have linked the 416 I built with W2's and Victor 34o W2 intake manifold. @ 4000 rpm I observed 520+ ft/lbs which is almost 100 ft/lbs more than the OP's engine. I have a few ideas on why this engine is lacking and how I'd correct it.

416 W2 on the dyno w/cam swap

Maybe our resident grapher STIXX could graph both of these out and display that here? Paging STIXX. J.Rob
Lunati243.jpg

IronMikesdynosheet.jpg

Hearing you! :)

Resident grapher... hahaha. Will tell that my boss. NOT.
Give me time until tomorrow, I probably have some of that already in my, err, archive.

RAMM! I'm all ears!!!!!!!
Your link to the video didn't work..:(

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LOLZ One more condition please, Start a thread and document and SHARE everything--please track your hours as well. J.Rob

I'd do that....if Mike is ok with it. If he is, I'll document it all. Even the cam I get.

Let me know. I'm ready.

I have a set of closed chamber W2 heads with MP 1.5 rockers with shafts and stands. Also have a W2 strip dominator. The heads have the dual bolt pattern so you can use your headers. I'd be willing to let YR look them over if you are interested. If you are interested you can send me a PM.

Ok, here's the deal. I'm willing to do Mike a set of W-2's I have. I have everything but valves and springs. 1.6 rockers, all the stands and the intake. All of it.

I'd be willing to do these up. All documented. And flowed. If they make power, he just has to replace the stuff so I can use them. If they suck, he can just send them back and I'll pay the freight.

So I'm willing to use my stuff to get him going.

The ebigga deal is the best option. It won't have the open chambers. And it will be easier to keep the CR up.

Plus you'll have iron heads. Way cool.

What say you Mike?

Now I see there is a used set of diamond W-2's for sale right here on FABO for a smoking deal. As long as they pressure test that's another option for you Mike. Again, my offer still stands. I'd look over these heads and do what I think they need for nothing.

Iron mike I would jump all over that. Would be cool to see old school w2's smoke these new heads.

I have a set of closed chamber W2 heads with MP 1.5 rockers with shafts and stands. Also have a W2 strip dominator. The heads have the dual bolt pattern so you can use your headers. I'd be willing to let YR look them over if you are interested. If you are interested you can send me a PM.

Ever lay a stock LA header gasket on a W2 exhaust port?

-
Back