Missile's core support

-

blue missile

Reaction score
Ok
Here are the pics from todays work of fabricating and installing a radiator/frame reinforcement.
Its made out of 2"x3"x1/8" tubing, and I did take some shots right after I cut the piece, but it helps to put the memory card back in the camera. So I had already started to bend it in place when the photos start.
I still have to put a gusset plate on each side, but I ran out of gas. I did box the front 1/3 of the rails (the easy part) So I colud get the support in.
The top of the support is exactly where the old sheet metal was so a standard radiator can be used. The bottom is still 1/2" above where the bottom of the frame is, so no ground clearance was lost.
Just a note to those without tube benders, get'er done anyway:-D
What do you guys think?
Andrew

Radiator core reinforcement 004.jpg

Radiator core reinforcement 005.jpg

Radiator core reinforcement 006.jpg

Radiator core reinforcement 007.jpg

Radiator core reinforcement 009.jpg

Radiator core reinforcement 010.jpg

Looks just like the XV piece, but $80 cheaper. Not sure how much good it is going to do as far as chassis stiffening though.

WHEW! Workin there. Nice work on the part.

Looks nice! A previous owner of my dart cut the support completely out so that they could put a big radiator in it. Now the bottom of the radiator hangs down exposed to rocks and such. I need something like what you built.

Do you have templates of the parts you've made?
Very well done and executed on all the things you've made!
You've got mad skills.:-D

Very nice job. I really like that rounded cut on the back for the outside edge to wrap around after being bent into position.

Now that I got some shielding gas, and more importantly some more time, I welded in the gusset plates, and welded the connection at the top of the opening, then I boxed in the top with some 16Ga 1/2"x3/4" angle for a little extra rigidity.
I know little effect but it is a cumulative thing.
Andrew

radiator support 001.jpg

radiator support 002.jpg

radiator support 003.jpg

-
Back