Mopar vs Rice

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i have to agree, fartcan = not fast normally. not saying that all of them are that way, i know some people with some fast 'rice'. And i must agree skylines are very advanced cars, but arnt some illegal in the US. one cause they dont pass crash testings and are probably too fast :lol: (some)

Funnily enough I was just talking to a fellow mopar owner a while back and we got talking about reliable big HP street engines, I had an 800HP pump gas 556 ci KB hemi in my old 68 dart, it was a nightmare, leaked oil, leaked water and spent more time being fixed than it ever did on the street. I did try to drive it around a few time but with MT streets on the back and a spool it was a horribly noisey nasty thing to drive, sure it would go 9.99's at the track - big deal. If you go over to the Moparts picture pages you'll see it under Andy's hemi dart- there's a bit of video on there too.

The little black Skyline is a twin turbo straight six that has active 4 wheel drive, 4 wheels steering and with the new motor I have being built we can make 800 WHEEL HORSE POWER, if required,- rather more than the 556ci hemi did and still be reliable! Jeez some of these things are putting 1200 to the wheels out of less than 180 ci , now which is more impressive- hum
I went for the low estimate of 500 or so just because I want something sane to drive around in. The car will go 200MPH plus, should run in the 10's on street tires, and it'll still have AC drive nicely and handle like a F 1 car.

If I want to go to the track later in the year then I'll take the old yellow cuda with the big blower, again I want to try and drive it on the street, but how far will it really go, I doubt I could drive it up to my local drag strip 70+ miles away???

I got no problems with the truly fast cars, it's the poser wannabees that we're talking about here.

There is a guy at our local track with an old 280Z Datsun. It has a Toyota Supra twin turbo six in it. He drives it there, clicks off 9.20 ET's and then drives it home. You can't argue with that. However if you put twin turbos on that 557 KB Hemi and made it work, well, that Datsun would be toast.

I also admire the RX7 rotaries out there, tube chassis, fuel injection, turbo charger and the cars run low 9's, high 8's without much more than lots of fuel and ports opened up.

dunno about that there are some 7 second Supras out there and some maniac with a Lexus bottom end that runs 6's. The Skyline down under are running low 7's and as for a TT KB hemi done that too, via a friend in England A pair of 88's on a 572 hemi, more on that to follow...

Guitar nailed it, the issue is not the fast ones it is the dorks that think they are the fast ones.

Chuck

yep I agree but don't we have the same problem within our own community also? So I'm not sure if it's just the ricers guys...
Listen check this link out,
http://www.geocities.com/64duece/donnie.html my old wagon, built and race by Todd Sheperd in the NMCA years ago, very cool, it's got the ST1200 Lenco from my old hemi dart, my mate Donnie flies in from England to pick it up next week, serious street car..

Plenty of posers to go around in all disciplines.

As for that wagon, all I can say is awesome. I've seen a similar car at Orlando Speed World's Fastest Street Car Nationals.

yes sir I have to agree, and yes Todd's wagon was at the Orlando races, but even he is in awe at what's gone on with the black beast since then..
I'll post some pics later.
A

This is the old heapthat a lot of this stuff has sprung from , Play the video LOUD !!ofhttp://www.moparts.org/moparts/picture/friends/andy/andy.html a dart where a lot

yes you're not kidding and my mate Donnie over there who's bought the car is used to driving an old Cornet that runs 15's in the quarter, oh boy does he have a shock coming.....

He has - shall we say a STEEP learning curve to go through in the next couple of weeks AND he's planning on driving that monster on the street over there. Still at least with the turbo set up it can be turned down to sane (??) levels. Although a 572 hemi with Stage 5 heads still will make around 900HP with no boost, even with the low compression and blower cam, should be fun eh.
My thing on the cuda is another nightmare waiting to happen, that big D3 Procharger and the NASCAR heads means insane power, even out of a lowly 358ci, and mine's RPM activated, more revs more power- eek.

Although the new GT2871 R's we're putting on the Skyline should be quite lively also, but that's rice and we'd better not mention that on here or I'll be in trouble!
Where's Stormin' Norm he'll tell you about some fun we had in that little car down the lanes around here, my attorney says he'll disown me if I get anymore tickets though!

Interesting thread it was an Hate ricer thread until tweety shows up with a kick @ss Skyline that'll stomp most old iron. Now people are kinda quiet...

Anyways as already stated, it is not just the ricers, beofre 2.0L engiens were the norm it was the Chevy Camaros, Monte Carlo/Olds Cutless/Pont. GP, 5.0L Mustangs, even Volare/Aspen/Diplomats. Do not blame it on the cars, it is the person behind the wheel.

We have had supercharged HEMI Charger, and many, many other cool/fast mopars, and many cool/fast imports. I am with Tweety on the whole package vehicle. My dad prefers to drive the lightweight supercharged small block powered 4-speed manual 1941 Dodge drag car. Yeah it is a brute, but really what the hell good is it? Sure it can stomp the ricers, but what does that prove? Nothing. The car was (as were the muscle cars) built to do one thing well: 1/4 mile (or stop light) racing. It should beat the cars that were built/designed for 40 mpg.

I love both classics and the modern cars for different reasons. My Dart Sport is very torquey (for a small block) and is pretty efficient for a muscle car. It also handles better then most with the chassis stiffening & suspension I have been doing to it.

On the other hand my 1997 Probe GTS (insert 'Probe' jokes here) has a Mazda 2.5L V6 engine that I did some work to (Japan only engine that I imported) and it ran awesome. It dyno'd 242 HP / 236 lbs./ft. and clipped off mid 13's at 100 all day long and it was built for road racing. Best of all it had A/C, power lumbar & bolster seats, power moonroof, power windows, mirrors, door locks, and a rear window wiper. Nothing too fancy but it also had a lot of added weight from chassis bracing and sway bars / suspension... It also was quiet and still got 32 MPG on the freeway @ 3,400 RPM. Not to mention could get it in any any wether and drive anywhere at anytime. It could also stop from 60MPH in just over 100 feet! It weighed in at 2860lbs aftre trimming away a lot of items (yet retained 100% factory appearance). Was 3020lbs. stock.

My Hyundai is only 2580 lbs. however it isn't very powerful ~180 Hp / 165 lbs./ft., they do not need to be. A lighweight set of forged 17x7's and sticky 225/45WR-17s and they are a blast to drive.

Ask 100 people their opinions and you will get 100 different answers.

redfastback - I'll trade one of our original 100% rust free numbers matching Mopars that I'll trade you for an EVO...

1974 Dart Sport, 1968 Plymouth Satellite, 1972 Charge SE...

I Hear you I just started a thread on NY Speed .com about my latest madcap scheme is to put a fiberglass 67 notchback cuda on top of an R32 GTR chassis. Best of both worlds as far as I can see, I was going to post some pictures on here but didn't want the abuse..

daniel_depetro said:
Interesting thread it was an Hate ricer thread until tweety shows up with a kick @ss Skyline that'll stomp most old iron. Now people are kinda quiet...

Anyways as already stated, it is not just the ricers, beofre 2.0L engiens were the norm it was the Chevy Camaros, Monte Carlo/Olds Cutless/Pont. GP, 5.0L Mustangs, even Volare/Aspen/Diplomats. Do not blame it on the cars, it is the person behind the wheel.

We have had supercharged HEMI Charger, and many, many other cool/fast mopars, and many cool/fast imports. I am with Tweety on the whole package vehicle. My dad prefers to drive the lightweight supercharged small block powered 4-speed manual 1941 Dodge drag car. Yeah it is a brute, but really what the hell good is it? Sure it can stomp the ricers, but what does that prove? Nothing. The car was (as were the muscle cars) built to do one thing well: 1/4 mile (or stop light) racing. It should beat the cars that were built/designed for 40 mpg.

I love both classics and the modern cars for different reasons. My Dart Sport is very torquey (for a small block) and is pretty efficient for a muscle car. It also handles better then most with the chassis stiffening & suspension I have been doing to it.

On the other hand my 1997 Probe GTS (insert 'Probe' jokes here) has a Mazda 2.5L V6 engine that I did some work to (Japan only engine that I imported) and it ran awesome. It dyno'd 242 HP / 236 lbs./ft. and clipped off mid 13's at 100 all day long and it was built for road racing. Best of all it had A/C, power lumbar & bolster seats, power moonroof, power windows, mirrors, door locks, and a rear window wiper. Nothing too fancy but it also had a lot of added weight from chassis bracing and sway bars / suspension... It also was quiet and still got 32 MPG on the freeway @ 3,400 RPM. Not to mention could get it in any any wether and drive anywhere at anytime. It could also stop from 60MPH in just over 100 feet! It weighed in at 2860lbs aftre trimming away a lot of items (yet retained 100% factory appearance). Was 3020lbs. stock.

My Hyundai is only 2580 lbs. however it isn't very powerful ~180 Hp / 165 lbs./ft., they do not need to be. A lighweight set of forged 17x7's and sticky 225/45WR-17s and they are a blast to drive.

Ask 100 people their opinions and you will get 100 different answers.

redfastback - I'll trade one of our original 100% rust free numbers matching Mopars that I'll trade you for an EVO...

1974 Dart Sport, 1968 Plymouth Satellite, 1972 Charge SE...

I don't think Tweety shut anyone up necessarily. I feel that this thread has run it's course. However as the thread starter let me say this much. As a member of an A-BODY/Musclecar forum, is there something wrong with posting stories about defeating ricers? Does that mean I don't have respect for real racers who posses Mazda's, Hyundai's, Toyota's, Nissan's, etc..... No not at all. However I do have disrespect for those tools who put huge wings and fart cans on bone stock rice burners, I find it quite entertaining. When I made this thread I wasn't talking about legit cars such as the legendary Skyline which seems to make about 100000000HP of streetable performance. If I insulted all of the Skyline enthusiasts on this A-BODY ONLY forum, I sincerely apologize. Perhaps you can go on YOUR OWN forum which is about SKYLINES and post there about defeating muscle in and out. But shutting anyone up, nope not at all.

It's strange because I have both an Abody muscle car and enjoy being on here and I have the Skyline and enjoy having some fun on the Import forums. Now I'm building the half Abody half Skyline I have the whole spectrum covered. I'm starting work on the chassis jig next and we'll be trying to get all that fabrication work donw ASAP. I spent a happy few days last week prepping the 67 notchback shell to get it ready to take the molds for the 'glass body.
Don't worry I certianly won't be offended if people don't like the project, it's my car and I'm building it for me. I will tell you this though when the Japs designed the R32 I think they had the notchback cuda in their minds, take off the modern lights and bumpers and all that stuff , then look at the actual body lines. Even the track and wheelbase is almost identical. I measured the distance between the inside edges of the doors on both cars and it's within 3/4" !!And the real kicker for me is that I will end up with yet another right hand drive car- yes my 69 cuda has the steering wheel on the right side...

New to the site, love it soo far, saw the section and had to post!

Okay, so I was at our local Albertsons picking up some free pots and pans for mothers day. Because Im only 16, my paychecks are barely enough to keep my dart on the road. I was taking advantage of there free pot n pan deal, when I saw my friend frank in there. Franks dad has 1 of 6 1971 Mr. Norm Superbees (440 six pack). Frank too has a Dart, but 67, not 69. Him and I are the only kids in our school with muscle cars, regardless of make. We our in our own league besides ricers and lifted trucks. He was begging me to do a burnout which I refused to do (7.25 rear end=break easy). As I was leaving he was following behind me in his dads S-10. Its a four banger and he knows hes got no cahnce in a race, but for fun was revving his engine. As we were leaving the parking lot, we came to the light. The right lane went straight, our you could turn right, and the two left lanes turned left. I was goingto the left and Frank was going straight. I was in the middle lane, and Frank was over there in the right lane revin his lil four banger, so I started revin my engine. All the sudden, in the middle of frank and I revving our engines, a lil balck Jetta pulls up, with a high performance fire extinguisher on his passenger side collumn, revvin his engine. The fire extinguisher caught my eye, so I looked over, and this prick from school who was talkin sh*t earlier THE SAME DAY, was smiling.. I smiled back, put it in gear and eeked forward a lil bit. He smashed the gas.. then the brake and jumped forward to a stop. I busted out laughin, looked over at frank who was laughin, and frank said "kick his ***!". Both the Jetta guy (mike i later found out), were both looking intently at the cross traffic light for it to go red. We then watched our light, and as soon as it changed, we were off. We took off, but, i had to slow down right away to make the turn without sliding into the curb. The jetta took its advantage here and pulled away a bit. Once we straightend out, I cruised on past him. You shouldve herd the rpm he was hittin before he was shiftin! This was my first win, ever, considering we both knew we were racing. I cant wait to get my car back toegether for school next year!
:burnout:

You really can't paint all import cars with the same brush... a Skyline GTR or 300ZX Twin Turbo are not rice IMHO. The lowered Civic with the neons and grapefruit-shooter exhaust tip is rice.

I happened upon a Japanese car show yesterday and while the majority of entrants were winged and blinged silly economy cars, there were some real nasty hot rods in the mix. It's huge business here in BC to import JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) cars and the streets are teeming with Skylines and Twin Turbo Fairlady Zs and Supras so these cars were out in force at this show. You can't turn your nose up at any street car making 500+hp regardless of where it's from, at least I can't.

Two cars caught my eye. One was a 1970 Datsun 510 2 door sedan that was running a 220hp 1.8L turbo engine from a JDM Nissan 180SX... doesn't sound like a ton of power but in that 1800lb box, it'd be a rocket. The other car was a little white Honda Civic hatchback from the early 1980's... under it's hood was hiding a modifed Acura Integra Type-R engine that would easily be making north of 200hp in stock form. Again, not a lot of oomph until you drop it into a stripped out 1500lb car and then hold on.

I love Mopar, don't get me wrong, but as the classic quote goes, keep your friends close and your ememies closer. If you go around blindly laughing at all imports because they're slow when stock, you'll probably get your doors handed to you at some point.

As for those Fast and Furious poseurs, keep laughing... I know I will!

It's all about power to weight ratio and available traction, take a little Catheram 7 'superlight' the thing goes about 1100lbs and has a few hundred HP, serious traction- the result is a car that would make a viper look like a UPS truck!
When I first got the Skyline here I was out driving it and it started to rain heavily and I sat at a stop light in a big puddle and dumped the clutch and mashed the gas hard- the damned thing lept off up the road in a prefect straight line, no wheelspin , nothing.
If I'd tried that in my old cuda I'd have bounched off phone pole down the street. I love muscle cars but I also love going around corners and stopping quickly.
Project Skycuda will hopefully be the marriage of BOTH forms of hot rodding!
More to follow.

GoodysGotaCuda said:
man to be honest a stock 318 2bbl with matching drivetrain is in 17sec territory. (highway gears and such). I ran 15.0 with 2.76s and my boring 318 lol
o dont worry i know he will beat me its just the fact of seeing his face when i tell him if he dont beat me i'm gonna laugh :lol: :thumbup: and i can also go, hold on let me put 6k into a motor and we will see how i am :headbang:

while speaking of the more 'sport' imports, my friend has a 300zx that he twin turbo swaped runs 13.7 all stock(no exhaust) and street tires. spins all the way threw 3rd. he is rebuilding the engine along with smaller turbos (spool faster) and is shooting for low 12's this year, and it still will corner great with stock supspention. And another friend has 240sx that is turboed with a all stock engine, he runs 13's or so, never took it to the track but it does move, 9:1 cr and 9psi wow. good discussion :lurk:

This might be a good time for me to mention my old 71 Demon 340 4-speed that had second hand engine parts and still ran a 12.20 @ 110mph... had about $5500 (Canadian) in that car total... not sure how many imports you could get into the 12's with a $5K investment (including the car).

Just a thought.

a car that starts at 88,000? give me 88,000 and i will build a better looking car than that. its a race car that is street legal....look at lambo's, saleen s7's, they are are all supercars. this is a forum for a body mopar AMERICAN iron. who cares if its faster, it has no character. if i cared about just going fast and not what i drove, yeah i'd pickup a POS jap mobile or a ultima gtr......

i smell mutiny...............................

<69DizartGT> said:
Lol, fools u all r.. jk, all I gots to say is... Ultima GTR google it, priase it, love it, you show me a street legal car that can do wut it does, -stock- and you have my vote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0CBRZhcB9E

(with gear to spare)

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkAu8rKROCY

2nd gear and dont bother mentioning a mclaren F1, bcuz this car starts at only $88,000

Hey dipshit, the Ultima GTR was designed in England and uses a Chevy 6.3 V-8. No rice there, unless it's in a Budweiser under the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back