Mopar vs Rice

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
1.50 60 foot Norm, just walking it out out slowly and 7 pounds of boost with pump gas, shifting at 5700RPM-just imagine what will happen when it gets some serious boost ...
It'll be at my house this weekend if you want to come take a look??

As a guy in the Honda crowd and the muscle crowd, let me give you some insight. Honda's were never built to go fast, they were built to handle. Even the most powerful (If you don't count the 290hp NSX) Civic made 185hp and it was never imported. Some will spend $10K on the 2.0L 220hp motor found in the recently discontinued RSX (It will run high 12's believe it or not in the right car with slicks). If you took your Cuda (assuming its stock) through a canyon with a regular motor swapped twin cam 160hp Civic that knew his car, it's not that easy to outrun him. I'll drive a honda for the 40-45 mpg (with a SOHC that won't run 16s), and without the ugly body kits, big exhaust tips or even 16" wheels. And I'll drive my Dart for everything else. There's a pesky Eclipse (which I dont consider an import as they are built here by Mitsubishi- which Chysler owns and had a hand in building them) in the area with AWD and a big turbo that thinks nothing can beat him. Just imagine the look on his face when he gets passed by a beige 75 Dart.

all depends which cuda, the one with the leaf springs or the one we're building with the Skyline drivetrain, that might take a bit of beating???
I'm FINALLY getting around to setting up my fibreglass shop, it's taken me about two years, but in a couple of weeks we'll be up and running, first job after the wagon's cowl hood of course is the 67 cuda body for project Skycuda- lots of work but it'll be a riot when it's done, I'll keep you posted.

A stock cuda. Maybe a 340 non AAR car. You are going to put an RB26DETT into a Cuda? In the S13-S15 they say the turbos don't fit well in left hand drive cars. The motor they used in Tokyo Drift was a RB25DET with the 26' twin turbo set up. Due to lack of torque and a light engine, it should hook up nicely though. I'd like to see pics when you're done.

ya these ricers are giving real enthusiasts a bad name. before i got my cuda, i had a nissan 240sx. i imported an engine from japan an sr20det and swapped it in at home. after tunning it a bit i was able to make in the neighborhood of 230hp to the crank, not all that bad for a stock 4-banger. that car was pretty fun while it lasted, never got around to showering big money at it though, an old man t-boned me. he was doing like 60 cuz, his word, he mixed up the peddals when coming to the red light.

i "tune" a lot of these pesky things, cuz these jackasses think they're making power. before i got out of school i finished a cat-back exhaust on an '03 350z. i drove it before and after and to be honest i felt no difference, just a louder noise. one car i was working on, a 98 eclipse(non-turbo) $10k into it the kid decides he wants an engine built. i did the reaserch for him, cuz he's a looser, and came to the conclusion that the n/a motors, in non-street legal form, are only capable of making 300 or so wheel hp. pathetic. i told him he'd be better off giving me that money and watching my car run 10s.

Yeah the imports don't make much power in NA trim. You have to push 20+psi at them to make power and the motors last a month or so of hard drag racing. My limit with NA 4 cylinders is 240-270 hp (with Honda's). In a 2100 lb car, no torque, and a 8500-9300 rpm rev limit, they move well enough. But then there's this little thing called a Hemi Dart...

all depends which cuda, the one with the leaf springs or the one we're building with the Skyline drivetrain, that might take a bit of beating???
I'm FINALLY getting around to setting up my fibreglass shop, it's taken me about two years, but in a couple of weeks we'll be up and running, first job after the wagon's cowl hood of course is the 67 cuda body for project Skycuda- lots of work but it'll be a riot when it's done, I'll keep you posted.
Any updates on the Fiberglass shop.
Did you ever get the molds for the 70/71 dart fenders and such?

Tweety, nice ride. Not many '62 Savoy'ers around.

Our Savoy was no where near as fast and nasty, but still wish I'd never sold it. Guess everyone says that about some car they have owned though.

I can respect the import crowd. Saw some at the strip that ran really really quick. As has been said, there are posers in every crowd. Then again a "poser" is only a frame of reference where you are on the food chain. Our Savoy had a built 440, narrowed 9 inch, 727 reverse full manual, tin interior, tubs, glass bumpers, bonnet, boot lid and seats, full cage, fuel cell, NOS etc. Not a poser to many as it ran good, but in Tweety's league it was a poser, lol.

Cheers

frnt.jpg

As A Former Import Campaigner, I Too Hated The Ricey Crowd With The Fart Can Mufflers And Dumbness. My Old Turbo Awd Drive Eclipse Ran High 11's Low 12's Alday Long Once I Got It In A Good State Of Tune.. The One Thing I Did Learn Hanging Out With The Other Import Owners That It Is The Cars That Have Dont Exactly Scream " Here I I'm Come And Get Me That Will Bite You And No Matter If You Like It Or Not They Can Bite Hard. My Awd Cut 1.7 60ft Times And The Bad Thing Is ...is That It Hooked Just As Good On The Street And That Can Make The Race Right There...i'll Download Some Vid Of My Car Off My Camera And Try To Get Them To Load. BUT YES IT IS FUN TO OUT RIGHT DESTORY RICED OUT CARS IN ANY FORM OR FASHION. AND AS A SIDE NOTE A EVO DOSENT COST $40 THEY ARE AROUND $30 OR SO NEW HANDLE,STOP AND GO LIKE HELL COMEPARED TO ANY CAR BUILT BY A MANUFACTER IN THE 60'S AND 70'S AND YES THEY LOOK LIKE CRAP BUT I KNOW OF A FEW THAT WILL RUN LOW 11'S AND STILL DRIVE ANYWHERE GETTING 25MPH OR MORE.....

Man my old vert w/273/2brl did beat a 2003 mustang !!!
All this old man could do was LOLMAOF , The guy and girl just took a lift !!!
See ya !

I love messing with them in my 340 Dart. Last year I pulled up next to a Civic 4 door with the proverbial fart pipe and TRIPLE wing on the trunk.
The light turned green and he did the usual rev it up and sqeaked the tires.
I stayed up with him just enough so he could see my hood scoop out his right door. At the next light he yelled out that my car ran pretty good for such an old car. I mentioned that I was only running on the primary side of the carb and let that sink in. The light was about to change and the weed wacker started to rev up. About 1 second before the light changed, i brought the revs up against the converter and let the beast loose. I probably had 2 cars on him before he knew it. A couple of blocks down the road, I pulled into a Subway and he followed me in and asked ..WHAT HAPPENED??
I politely informed him that the 2 and 1/4 secondaries in my original Thermoquad are each bigger than his exhaust pipe and the .508 cam makes for a lot more airflow than his stupid little cold air intake. The final blow was when I informed him that it would run a bit better if I turned off the A/C !
I popped the hood and his eyes got real big.
I told him to remember the old saying..." V8 NOT V-TECH !"

P1272454.jpg

Then I informed him that I have a stock Slant Six at home that is even faster than the 340. I pulled out my digital camera and showed him this:

P6041685.jpg

My buddies and I would go over to San Jose to laugh at the rice trying their hardest to run 15s.
One trip in my 67 2-door post dart with 340, edel heads, crower solid, X-cel and at the time a 660 center squirter. Cheetah manual 727 2500 B&M stall with 3.91 and small 235s with caltracs. Only had 2 plastic seats and no carpet. We pulled upped to a Chevron one night to get some gas. There happened to be 3 CRXs at the station and we could tell they were laughing when we pulled up. As I was pumping 91 into the fuel cell in the trunk they came over and ask why I had painted the two racing strips on wrong. I laughed at them and asked if they knew what a MOPAR was. They seemed confused... after I told them some mopars came with strips AROUND the trunk I asked them if they wanted to run. They first told me I couldn't run with them!!! So I began to enlighten them on how stupid they were, they wanted to prove it so they popped the hood of the black one and what I saw looked like a new motor with braided crap everywhere. The front fenders and bumper were murdered with a sawsall. The said it had 12 second time slips from the track... but not on them.
I asked if they wanted to run again and they said I would have to run the other two to see if it was worth it for the black one.... I told them I would run their mother for all i care i just wanted to race someone.
We fallowed them to some industrial area and after a few minutes a whole bunch of other people showed up. A few honda ran first and then I line upped next to the blue one. I loaded it up on the foot brake thinking I might have to try. The starter dropped his arms and I dropped the hammer, feathering it through first gear I noticed the other guy barely moved. I grabbed 2nd and let off going into 3rd cause I was already 4-5 car length ahead of him... What a waist of fuel!! I also had a passenger.
So I pull up next to the crxs and they said not bad but no I got to run the red one... What ever lets get it over with.
We line up, I dont even load it up this time. They say I jumped before the starter dropped his arms. Like leaving .300 is going to give back the 4-5 car length I beat the red one by.... What ever, lets do it again. I'm sitting there idling on the line, the red car is just about on his rev limiter and the arms drop. The red car takes off... I roll into it after I've seen the red car leave and finally floor when I'm hitting 3rd, by then I have a car length on him.
So enough bull ****. The black car has been letting his car warm up. Its time to put them to bed. We line up and I load it up a little, not too much just 1500rpm cause it likes to char them off if its any more. The arms drop and to my surprise the black one is right next to me through first and just into second. Half way through second I start to pull and then through 3rd a got a car length on him. It was one of the faster car I've run. I was impressed for a honda. But never the less I spanked there High dollar piece of crap 4 bangers from the land of rice.

Meanwhile there where two late 90s Supras that where watching the whole thing. I lined up waiting for someone to pull up. One of the supras pulled and it sounded pissed!!! The supra is one of the only imports I'll take a second look at. The turbo was just whistling away through the straight pipe. We lined upped and he starts spooling it up. Once he gets into the higher rpms it starts backfiring and popping. The arms drop and I leave, the toy died and would start again. They had to call a tow truck. We then had to fill up cause in 4 runs I almost burned 15 gallon of fuels. Then we drove home cause it was like 3:30 in the moring.

Fun times, more to come. We have it on video I just need to get from VHS to the computer...

DemonDave

Is that a real ad? Kind of stupid if it is in that by the end of the war
3000 hp American fighters were flying over japan at will.

My cousin has a 97' GTP and like all them GTP guys they think their tiny supercharger is the baddest thing to hit the street. Well his car is built, cam, intake, computer crap..bla bla about 5k worth of stuff...well we go out almost every weekend and always find a 2 lane highway and just cruise. Well it always pisses him off when he punches it the motor kicks down to 2nd and pulls were mine i leave it in 4th (grinds a bit when i downshift) and i pull right by him. now hes really scared now that i have put a new intake, carb, and smaller dia. tires on the back......should be fun!!!

ever auto crossed in a muscle car? its hard on the ego getting beat by a four door sentra. on the street however the corners open up just enough; its fun thinking what is going though there mind when you dont hit the brakes in a sweeping corner at 80+

its like they never saw it coming.

as a muscle car we have the power to drag a ricer all day, build the suspension and beat them where it hurts'em

Great thread! Finally some muscle car guys that understand Turbo Imports.

I totally agree, there is a difference between really FAST and thinking a turd is really fast.

Muscle Car's are great, especially for their designed purpose.

Its very hard to compete on all fronts with a Muscle Car though. They are known to NOT handle very good, not stop very good, don't get great gas mileage and ECT.

That is what I enjoyed about my Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX.
I could not find anything it did not DO VERY WELL.

It averaged 15-30 mpg depending on where I was driving it (city/highway).
It had very good brakes....STOCK
It handled like a F16 fighter jet.....after a few tweaks of course!
It accelerated like a Hemi Road Runner..after a few simple bolt ons of course!
It was slicker than a C5 Corvette....(drag c/o of .29) STOCK.
And IMHO it had the sexiest body shape of ANY automobile ever engineered....much like a 1968 Charger.

My younger brother recently imported his 1991 Nissan Skyline RB25DeTT here to the USA....I GET TO DRIVE IT SOON!!!

I am just a automobile enthusiast with a good understanding of Internal Combustion Engines and Boost Application.

I have some stories, but I remember them as V8 Kills.

DemonDave

Is that a real ad? Kind of stupid if it is in that by the end of the war
3000 hp American fighters were flying over japan at will.

No, it's a joke ad I found on Google Images... makes you think though doesn't it? Every time I see a Camry or Jetta wearing Veteran license plates I just shake my head...

Heres my i beat a car story...I beat off ricers all the time in my truck. Well my old one, lol, it was an '88 GMC C1500 Reg cab, short box. Thing went like ****. It was the most amazing truck i've owned, also being that i've only owned two trucks...well anyways. lol, it had a regular watever rear-end, no posi, thing did amazing two wheel brake stands. Hehe. I still dream of sinking amazing amounts of money into that rust bucket to make the most amazing sleeper...

Anyways the real story here is a battle of two trucks. There was the aforementioned truck of mine, and another jacked up '00 something ford diesel turbo thinger. lol, ya, i hate fords. Anyways, we were sitting at a light, and buddy starts revvin the engine, hot girl next to him, watever. i kind of ignore it. Until he fingered me for no apparent reason. I'm kinda pissed now. Well we're both wsatching the light, and it turns green. We take off down a long straight road, no intersections for prolly a 1/2 mile. This is when i realized he had the turbo...From the slowly receding sound of that annoying whistling. I pulled a car length, 2, 3, and he was still giving er the guns. Next chance i get, i'll get some pics of my old truck on here...But it is definitely not a looker. lol, needless to say i betcha he was pretty put out gettin beat by my lil rust-bucket. lol.

i know, not a ricer story, but as far as i'm concerned anything showing a ford that they really are as bad as all the jokes say, is alright!

O and heres my interpretation so far...
Fart can, shiny lights, ugly body kits and spoilers = Ricer
Out and out fast, without having to show it with 10hp from your underglow = Import

And that SkyCuda sounds freaking sweet! I wanna see some pics of that. ImportedMuscle? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back