MPI conversions

Would you have interest in purchasing a harness.

• Yes, I would have interest.

Votes: 55 39.3%
  • Yes, I would have interest, provided it was cheap.

Votes: 31 22.1%
  • No, I wouldn't have interest.

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Maybe, I have additional questions.

Votes: 22 15.7%

• Total voters
-

TT'74

Reaction score
Experience:
I have adapted two Magnum wiring harnesses to work in my '74 Duster, the first was and OBD1 setup where the computer only controlled the engine functions. My more recent adaptation utilizes an OBD2 harness where the computer runs both the engine and the 44RE (electronic A500) overdrive transmission. I ran the OBD1 setup for approximately two years without problems and so far I'm four months into driving the OBD2 setup with no issues so far.

Economy:
With the OBD1 and a 727 I would average 16mpg in town and 20mpg highway with 3.55 rear gears and 28" tall tires. With the OBD2 and the (0.69) overdrive I get 18mpg city and 23mpg highway with the same gears and tires.

Application:
If there is interest the OBD1 would be best suited for stock/near stock 5.2/5.9l where either a 3speed or a hydraulic 4speed would be used.
The OBD2 option would be more ideal for those looking to run an electronic 4speed automatic such as a 44RE/46RE and/or a more modified engine. ex: cam, heads, intake, TB, injectors. OBD2 computers can be tuned to meet performance demands.

Idea:
Modify OBD1 and/or OBD2 engine harnesses such that anyone may put a magnum engine and computer into their muscle car and run a factory fuel injection setup.

I'd like to take a poll on how much interest there would be for these conversions to be made in kit form? If you have any questions please post them here.

I have been considering this swap for my 72 Valiant.What do you do for a ECM for aOBD1 setup? Plans are a centrifical (Novi 2000) with maybe an M1 setup.If so,I might be interested.

I have been considering this swap for my 72 Valiant.What do you do for a ECM for aOBD1 setup? Plans are a centrifical (Novi 2000) with maybe an M1 setup.If so,I might be interested.

IMPORTANT:
If you run Forced Induction on OBD1 or OBD2 definitely run a wideband O2 sensor.

Honestly if you're going Forced Induction save yourself the headache and at least go OBD2. Tunes for OBD1 are approx. $600 from the few retailers that still do them. They are not very precise tunes and can't be edited down the road. If you stay at low boost levels 6-8 psi you can run OBD1 with an FMU, which is more of a band aid than a fix. Running it like this it will work, and you should be able to get 300-350RWHP give or take, but it's not the best way to do it. Also if you do go this route I would recommend just getting one of the Mopar performance ECM's for the right year engine/wiring harness, over reprogramming the stock unit.

For F.I. I recommend at least OBD2 because it can be dyno tuned using an SCT tuner. And the OBD2 electronics provide for a much more precise tune than anything available for OBD1.

If a modified wiring harness was the only requirement there might be a market for it.
There are so many other issues in this transplant yet to be properly addressed.
Trans tunnel and support modifications available in user friendly kit form. Modified fuel delivery system in user friendly kit form.
The list goes on and on.

If a modified wiring harness was the only requirement there might be a market for it.
There are so many other issues in this transplant yet to be properly addressed.
Trans tunnel and support modifications available in user friendly kit form. Modified fuel delivery system in user friendly kit form.
The list goes on and on.

Trans tunnel only needs modified if going to an OD setup. Fuel deliver is just an inline pump and mechanical regulator(takes about an hour), because if I do this kit it will have the fuel pump relay with a power supply for the fuel pump. If this goes well I will work on a jig so that I can quickly replicate my Lower crossmember for anyone who does want an OD setup. I've just got to start somewhere. To me the electronics is the first place to start.
If there is anything else about it that concerns you please bring it to light because I want to consider everything before making this decision.

1992 dodge 5.2 in and 518 od in a 1964 valiant v200 its been a long project but i have it streetable ....???should i change ox sender as i have dual exh the oem only had one ox sender in right side . fuel punp is in line soon to be in tank its to noisy......thanks bonehead

I have done this myself 360 mag 518 OD 3.91s out back in a 68 dart my daily driver. Makes a very nice driving reliable set up. Just some info for you guys that are thinking about it. No more carburetors or points gotta love it.

Attachments

• dart.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,078
  • frankendart1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,063
  • frankendart.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,053
  • frankendart2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,077
  • frankendart3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,090
1992 dodge 5.2 in and 518 od in a 1964 valiant v200 its been a long project but i have it streetable ....???should i change ox sender as i have dual exh the oem only had one ox sender in right side . fuel punp is in line soon to be in tank its to noisy......thanks bonehead

Only disadvantage you will have by not having an O2 in the second exhaust stream is if you have an injector failure on that side. All things working properly it won't matter because the computer will regulate everything for you.

..I thought Mopar Perf. had the harnesses or am I wrong, of course, you probly got to buy the computer to get their harness. what would be the best to "pluck" a harness from. Dodge Dakota? JEEP? Dodge van? Is it a pain in the *** to yank it? which computer would you pick, which one is best. I would be using a manual trans in my application

Would the system be adaptable to a BB carb manifold or would that be essentially building an EFI from scratch?

There is no good way that I've found to adapt it to a BB engine, because the cam position sensor is built into the magnum Dizzy. so ya you'd kinda be starting from scratch.

..I thought Mopar Perf. had the harnesses or am I wrong, of course, you probly got to buy the computer to get their harness. what would be the best to "pluck" a harness from. Dodge Dakota? JEEP? Dodge van? Is it a pain in the *** to yank it? which computer would you pick, which one is best. I would be using a manual trans in my application

I haven't found a harness from Mopar Perf. if they're making one. The only downside to the van harnesses vs the truck harnesses is that they are a bit shorter since the van ECM mounts onto the center of the firewall right about the engine. But they are still long enough to be fender mounted in an Abody.

As far is which is best for you, I would have to ask what kind of mods would you be looking to do to the engine. If you want something that has mild performance 250-300 crank hp then go OBD1 out of a '92-'95. Find a Mopar performance computer for it, an intake, ported TB and maybe roller rockers and you'd be fine. If you're aiming for more power than that go OBD2 '98-'02.

I think you're on to something TT. It's the swap of the future that can be done today. Injection is so nice for a street driver. Good luck! toolman

i have a 1964 v 200 valiant with 5.2 and 518 trans out of 1992 dakota.....got my wire harness for hotwire in mena ark....800
plus hooked no problems...your kit mite include center sump oil pan...trans crossmember.....fuel sender fuel pump return line instock sending unit...fuel pressurre reg these are the parts u need and are not availlable easy your kit should be reedy to go hook up and run......thank you bone head

i have a 1964 v 200 valiant with 5.2 and 518 trans out of 1992 dakota.....got my wire harness for hotwire in mena ark....800
plus hooked no problems...your kit mite include center sump oil pan...trans crossmember.....fuel sender fuel pump return line instock sending unit...fuel pressurre reg these are the parts u need and are not availlable easy your kit should be reedy to go hook up and run......thank you bone head

What tunnel did yo use for that 518 trans? Did you come from a manual? The 518 is huge in the backside for the early A tunnel.

What tunnel did yo use for that 518 trans? Did you come from a manual? The 518 is huge in the backside for the early A tunnel.

To put any of the OD transmissions in the Abodies requires modification of the cross member, either completely removing the upper crossmember or cutting it down and reboxing it. Then you have to fab up a lower to bolt to it.

Definitely a couple good points in there. Trans crossmember would only be necessary if one elected to go with an OD trans. To me for the guys up north in particular or in the mountains one of the biggest benefits of fuel injection is not having to fight with the carb. My idea is to offer a simple solution for those people just looking to get the engine in the chassis and have it running. Fuel system requirements will depend strongly upon what the individual is looking for from a performance aspect. I would expect this idea to be most popular for the guys who would be happy with stock to mildly modified engines who drive their cars regularly.
Questions I would have for you just to cover my bases. Why do you suggest a fuel sending unit? I've not had any problems using a stock unit with an inline pump. Any of the Magnum engines that would require a return line have a pressure regulator built into the fuel rail. The center sump pan is a good idea, but can also be purchased from Mopar performance pretty easily.

I would certainly be interested in a harness. I have a mild 360 LA that I would use an intake manifold set up for FI and a throttle body. Would certainly be more interested in the details on your car.

Mike

Following up your PM, I didn't see this till now. Put me down for one for my '98 Dakota 5.2/2000 Dakota R/T 46RE going in my 71 Demon. It will probably take me a while to come up with the money. I just need to get the OK from SWMBO :)

j

I intend to start my own thread, 70 dart with a '94 magnum V8 and 46RE trans, complete harness thansplant from headlight to tail light, even using the donar vehicle guages, no cutting whatsoever in the harness. Having said that, there have been a mountain of obstacles, but what I keep seeing here is the fuel supply issue.
This is my experience. As you know the factory fuel modules are mounted in the factory plastic tanks with a large threaded collar. I simply cut the collar out of the heavy plastic tank leaving about a 1 inch perimeter around the collar, which resulted in a mounting flange. I then cut a round hole in the driver side front of the factory tank and screwed/epoxied the flanged to the tank. The factory module adjusts up and down and I simply have it seated on the bottom of the tank. The factory float works normal and supplies the factory guage accurately. The factory donar vehicle fuel lines were routed in the dart and all the factory connections are supported as well.
Again, no intent to hijack, just wanted to share my fuel supply workings with you. Hope to start a begiining to end thread soon if their is any interest.

my in line fuel pump works fine but is real loud i mean loud ....rubber mounted ....shielded........loud ...if some one out there has a quite pump please post where and part number

-
Back