MSD distributor 408 stroker

-
Use a big flat blade screw driver and twist either way it will rise up .

if it had no bushing, the shaft would sink another 1/8 inch, that's all the bushing flange is worth. It would be obvious if the gear wasnt visible down in there. I bet you got a 383 distributor...in a LA box? Measure the shaft length to my specs.

if it had no bushing, the shaft would sink another 1/8 inch, that's all the bushing flange is worth. It would be obvious if the gear wasnt visible down in there. I bet you got a 383 distributor.
But in his picture he is comparing it to what I assume is the original?

Yeah.. he has a china cheapo one thats right and an MSD 440 length...too long! Now Im confused if he actually has a oil pump drive in there! Its a big round flat faced circle with teeth and a slotted hole in the middle. touching the cam gear..is it down there? :eek: There is no way that would seat if the pump drive was in there, bushing or not.

attachment.jpg

or

2016-03-18_16-00-42.jpg

???

Last edited:
Yeah.. he has a china cheapo one thats right and an MSD 440 length...too long! Now Im confused if he actually has a oil pump drive in there! Its a big round flat faced circle with teeth and a slotted hole in the middle. touching the cam gear..is it down there? :eek: There is no way that would seat if the pump drive was in there, bushing or not.

View attachment 1715369242
You may be right. I'm not sure what he's got going on.

So looking at that picture it looks like 1/16” short? IIRC there are shims on the MSD distributor that you can move top to bottom which spaces the shaft lower. I think it’s in the instructions, but it’s been awhile since I ran one. Nope not in the instructions.

Last edited:
My bad guys, I couldnt see the slotted end of the chinese one, now it looks like he does have the right length...oof, bad eyes and no contrast on that side of the pic! Whats the issue, no rotor rotation on motor turning? Free wheeling rotor? rollpins...?
shaft.jpg

Agreeing with the others, 50% or more of the flat should be engaging the oil pump drive. 1/16"-1/8" difference should not be a go or no go for engagement.

I disagree. An 1/8 is a lot in some worlds. This could be one of them. The intermediate shaft could also have been a bit short. Everything adds up.

OP, S-K Speed on Long Island, New York?

I disagree. An 1/8 is a lot in some worlds. This could be one of them. The intermediate shaft could also have been a bit short. Everything adds up.

OP, S-K Speed on Long Island, New York?
Yes, BTW...thanks to all y’all chiming in. Motor was running fine since I picked up car but was losing power and acting logy lately. Then it wouldn’t fire at all, pretty much determined it was MSD box failing and then dying-thus the slowing and sluggish deal. My muscle car mechanic said they see this periodically. Anyway, I will check new distributor for shims, that would be awesome if I can take care of it and get this bizatch Dart back on the road! Hambony.

[QUOTE="Hambony58, post: 1972594021, member: 38861"... it was MSD box failing .. My muscle car mechanic said they see this periodically. [/QUOTE]
Oh so true. Good luck. Keep a points distributor in the trunk..for the drive home. MSD burned me once, shame on MSD. Burned me twice? Shame on me!

Well boys..your gonna love this. My buddy was helping me with the d-trib install and said it did not ‘notch in’ so I went out and put a piece of wood across the engine compartment so I was right on top of the situation, it dropped in and with some rotation of the rotor it clicked in all the way. So I should’ve just done this myself, but the dude considers himself a mechanic of sorts I should qualify this by telling you he’s a Chevy guy() I will have some more questions for you tomorrow -it’s been a long week I think I’ll have a beer or two and go to bed. Thanks again to everybody, moral of the story,never let a Chevy lover touch your beautiful Mopar! Hambony

-
Back