Mustang boss 302 vs mopar!

-
Id take a boss 302 mustang over a 340 a body because it's worth more. However will a 340 a body out run a boss 302, you bet your *** it will :twisted:
I agree with both points here (although the one Boss 302 that was in town 15 years or so ago when I was running my 340 wouldn't line up with me, so I have no first-hand knowledge about beating one. Other than damn well knowing I would have beat him:D)

the trans am racing series was the only place ford and chevy could win , they were getting their asses kicked on the high banks and the drag strips

I would take a 340 any day! But I did just drive a 2012 Boss 302 and the car is bad ***! It bounces off the limiter at 8000 rpm. It pulled all the way thru. Ford did a great job on it. I love the new Challengers but they need to shave the weight down. Don't need half of the crap they put in the car. I don't know why they haven't made a T/A model for the real gear heads. I know the Charger Super Bee weight has been lowered 100 lbs. by removing useless crap. Are you listening Chrysler?????? Build a real muscle car without blowing the budget. Who in the hell can afford a $50K car???

Herse is one for ood school(Ford,no kiddin!) One of my old customers,(b.s. king,no less) said he had a matching numbers 70 Boss. A few months later,walking to work,red light ensues.I hear a call out rev.I look over. I see a late model vette and a white 70 mustang fastback.Thev vette rolled the revs up 2000,2500.Mustang owner drops the clutch,HARD!(5000+!).Second gear was somewhere inthr mid sevens.Can you say slow chevy?He comes in a month later,says you watched.My comment"Stock my ***!) His reply? "I said numbers matching,not stock" .12.5 comp in the hole, bowl and guide work .and a. 600 lift roller.Mindblowing,if you pay attention to basics.

[StrokerScamp "Ford sucks"] ford sucks lol,its funny as heck u keep saying that,keep it coming...some of you sound like my brother and sister gosh...hands down mopar,aar or a ta vs a boss,come on guys? Was someone comparing them vs a boss,or did i read wrong?

A good 340 will stomp up and down on a 302. But, if push comes to shove and you want to end this argument about camaros, mustangs and DARTS quickly..all's you have to do is say 2 words "Hemi DART". Then if they still wont shutup (over this gradeschool argument), then it's a stagnant arguement and its not worth having the discussion.

At any rate, yeah a 340 > 302 ford or any small block chevrolet for that matter (if were talking factory parts & engineering)... chrysler was so far ahead of their time it was unreal.. kind of funny (and i'll bring this up to backup STROKERSCAMPS post/images) most good aftermarket connecting rods for common chevrolet and ford builds are more similar to chryslers factory stuff than that of said brand. Same thing with aftermarket heads... angle plugged 18* heads are pretty hot no?! Chrysler must have thought so too... 50+ years ago when they were doing it from the factory.

But in the end it's each to their own.Often times these arguements aren't worth having.Better to just appreciate each others opinions and move on. My dad used to say "the motor don't know the name thats on the valve covers..it only knows and responds to whos working on it, to make it jump through its *** and peform"

In stock form 340 vrs 302 , 350 ect . I have four brothers , me being the youngest at 50 now , we all had mopars , they used to race on a bridge here in Miramichi , it was 1/4 mile long , i remember there being only one boss here was grabber orange 69 with a four speed , and there was a 70 1/2 Z28 Camaro also that was suposed to be strong at the time .My second oldest brother had a 70 340 Duster , green coloum auto rubber floor mat , dog dish hub caps not fancy like the others, but he told me , he could take the 302 by 4 to 5 lenghts everytime , and the Z28 usually a car length . And these cars were practicaly new at the time.

I don't have alot of first hand knowledge with this stuff. I wasn't alive in the 70s, so I don't know which car could stomp which car when it rolled out of the factory.

So this is what I'll say.

Surely you guys aren't still driving these cause you think they're the fastest. If so, I have a youtube video of a Smart Car with a Hayabusa engine in it that you need to see. We drive them because they're fun, and because cars today look like soul-less **** (Or maybe that's just why I drive them?)

And I have to say, as much as I love my duster... a 302 is a /nice/ looking car. I'd like to own one in addition to my mopar one day ^^ Who knows. Maybe I'll eventually have the cash.

Also, good luck finding one of either that's identical to the day it rolled off the line now. Most of them have been messed with or messed up in one way or another. So, for today, there's really no sense in comparing them ONLY stock. Both have potential. You're going to be working on it anyways, might as well tune up the performance too.

Some people here are confusing things.

The standard, Ford 302 (289) was little more than a basic V8 much like the 318 (273) or the old 307 (283) Chevy used back then.

The Boss 302 and Chevy 302 (both performance engines) were not built to compete with a 340 on the street. They were built for one reason only, to be a solid performance foundation, within the 5 liter rule, for Trans Am racing.

If you want to compare apples to apples you need to place the 340 against some of the high performance 350s or other non displacement limited small blocks from back in the day.

The outcome will still be the same, a 340 in a light weight a-body was a potent combo.

73AbodEE said:
the trans am racing series was the only place ford and chevy could win , they were getting their asses kicked on the high banks and the drag strips

Better check your facts;

Ford won the NASCAR manufactures title from
1963-1969. Dodge/Plymouth won 70-71, 75. Chevy won 72-74. After 75 GM or Ford has won since. Petty even switched to Ford in 69 because Plymouth wasn't competitive.

From the beginning of Pro Stock drag racing through the 70's into the 80's Bob Gliddeon in a Ford dominated with 10 championships.

Yes. Bob Glidden is one of my most favorite driver's of all time. Met him a few times and he is always a gentleman's gentleman. I remember back in the 70s he ran the Plymouth Arrow and the Pinto at the same time. If he didn't get you with the Arrow, he put the Pinto on you. Sorry, but that's how it was. LOL

Ford still sucks.

Better check your facts;

Ford won the NASCAR manufactures title from
1963-1969. Dodge/Plymouth won 70-71, 75. Chevy won 72-74. After 75 GM or Ford has won since. Petty even switched to Ford in 69 because Plymouth wasn't competitive.

From the beginning of Pro Stock drag racing through the 70's into the 80's Bob Gliddeon in a Ford dominated with 10 championships.

i should have been more specific, i was referring to the year 1970 when dodge/plymouth entered their E bodies in the trans am series.
nothing could touch the hemi in top fuel, alcohol or funny car

geeze

where do you think mopar would have been with the birds and daytonas had they not been banned from running a hemi and limited to 355 CI

defending the pentestar on a mopar site ...ludacris

I'd take a Mopar anything over a Ford. I've owned many Fords in the past including my first car (a 66 Mustang with a 289) and I just prefer the way Mopar does things By the way did you guys hear the backwards Ford acronym? Driver returns on foot. LOL

Yeah. This is a MOPAR forum. Why all the ford love? Yall wanna suck on ford tailpipe go join a ford forum.

Ford sucks.

even the smart ford guys knew what the best choice in power was

Attachments

• az14.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 195
Yeah. This is a MOPAR forum. Why all the ford love? Yall wanna suck on ford tailpipe go join a ford forum.

Ford sucks.

Because hot looking chicks come in all hair colors.. Just because I married a blonde doesn't mean I don't ogle a hot redhead or brunette when they passy by.

;p

Grant

Ford sucks.

Aside from this spot-on answer...

Because hot looking chicks come in all hair colors.. Just because I married a blonde doesn't mean I don't ogle a hot redhead or brunette when they passy by.

;p

Grant

Because I currently own a MOPAR :p

When (yes when) I purchase a Ford, I'll join a Ford forum as well, and be a member on both. It's fine to be multi-faceted. So long as one of those facets isn't Chevy.

;p

Grant

Yeah but when the wife's there.......

redheads and brunettes suck.

Actually, you need to change that to "Obliterating the competition since 1951"

-
Back