My 1969 Plymouth Valiant V100 rebuild

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess I should start a rebuild thread on this car like I did on the other 2 rebuilds. A couple of you guys asked me if I was going to. Before I get in this too far I want to spend a little time talking about why I am doing this car. At first I didn't like the car but it is growing on me.
I met my wife about 30 years ago. matter of fact this New Years Eve we are celebrating our anniversary. When I met her she was 18 and had just graduated high school and had started her first year in college. I was 29 years old. She was born and raised in southern Mississippi. Long Beach, Ms. During her last 2 years of high school, she was in the band. She always told me about her first car that she owned and called it the brown turd. Talked about how she could put $5 in gas in it and run 2 weeks. Talked about how many people she could haul and how many instruments she could take on band trips. I had been a long distance trucker for awhile at that time. We eventually talked about marriage and I told her I would not live down there so I packed her up and moved her to No. Ky. where we are now.
Years later I bought my Duster and built it to run on the 1/4 mile track but after I started working on it decided to restore it and show it. I decided because it was in such good shape not to beat it to death. She mentioned she would like to have another 69 Valiant 4 door car. I though I would never buy a 4 door car. after my Duster was done and I saw the gratification in what we done with it, I bought the 73 Dart Sport and it became pretty much Tylers car then. Its still in my name but I guess it is his car. I have kinda been looking for a 69 valiant for about 10 years for her because I had promised her I would buy her one but with both the Duster and Dart Sport being kinda newly done, I wasn't in too big of a hurry. Last year at some of the car shows we attended it was mentioned again that she would like to have a car of her own to show.
So, I started looking a little harder. A couple of months ago, this car pretty much fell in my lap. Something told me to look on Craigslist in Detroit area and I did. I found this car and could not believe how good of shape it was in . I called the guy and drilled him on this car and he just was above board on every step of the way. So I made arrangements one weekend and we all went up and picked it up.
Here is the story on the car. I have all documentation pertaining to this car from day one. Title numbers and names. It was purchased by an older man new down in Georgia. He kept the car until his death a couple years ago. The car went to his son. Shortly after that the son passed away. Car was tied up in an estate sale and a man from Michigan bought this car for his girlfriend. He spent $450.00 to have the car shipped up from Georgia to Michigan. I have a copy of the delivery receipt. Apparently his girlfriend learned how to drive in one of these so he bought the car for her and spent over $2500.00 fixing up this car for her. I also have receipts of the parts he put on the car. After he had finished the car, the girlfriend left him. Now he is stuck with a car he doesn't want or want to look at so he sells this car to a young man in Port Huron, Mi. The guy I bought it from. He is in the Coast Guard in Port Huron and he bought the car in August 2014. He was going to fix it up and drive it. He also has a 53 Chrysler in his garage. Nice car but needed restoration too. Him and his wife just had a baby about 2 weeks before I picked up the car and he told me that one of the Mopars had to go and he was keeping the 53 so that is how I got the car.
My wife wanted to drive the car back and forth to work for awhile but I had a problem with the title. It seems like when the car was transferred from Georgia to Michigan they left off the letter 'B' denoting the location in Hamtramck that the car was built. I had to get the title corrected before I licensed it and the fact that I was about to tear it down didn't make sense to let her drive it.This car has 69000 miles on it. The A/C blows ice. It runs like a top. It started right up back when it was 17 degrees outside. It basically has no rust, just a little surface rust in the trunk where the trunk weatherstrip leaked. The underside is great.
Right now, the car is in the garage and the tranny has been pulled. Tomorrow, I am going to pull the engine and get it on the engine stand. We are going to take this car down to metal and get all the enamel paint off and fix any imperfections in the body. The only problems on the inside is a tear in the front seat on the river side and a crack in the dash cap. I have a friend who does interior work so I am going to take the seat to him sometime after Christmas and let him cover it. I have already gotten a new dash cap. The front and rear bumpers are coming off and going to Tri- City plating in Tennessee and being re-chromed after the first of the year. The engine is going to be tore down and freshened up and then repainted and detailed as it came out of the factory.
While the engine is out, the engine bay will be completely taken down to metal and painted. The tape that goes on the fender from the factory is still there showing that the fenders have not been removed. A lot of the markings from the factory are still there. I am going to try and keep them on there. Everything I can see on this car is factory and it is going back all factory. Momma's orders. The color is Spanish Gold. Y4 I believe. I already obtained all the factory decals and engine paint. So here are the beginning pics of the car I took when it came home.

Attachments

• DSC07464.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 804
  • DSC07473.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 778
  • DSC07472.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 742
  • DSC07471.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 733
  • DSC07470.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 773
  • DSC07469.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 780
  • DSC07468.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 741
  • DSC07467.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 824
  • DSC07466.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 804
  • DSC07465.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 791
more pics. I did find a new trunk mat that matches the one in the pics. Tan in color. This car will be done by May 9,2015 if I am still alive to finish it.

Attachments

• DSC07483.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 735
  • DSC07486.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 721
  • DSC07481.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 715
  • DSC07480.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 734
  • DSC07479.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 770
  • DSC07478.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 734
  • DSC07476.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 726
  • DSC07475.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 747
  • DSC07474.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 736
Nice ride! If you need any tech advice on valiant's I'm always around.

more than likely I will. This is a different beast than I am used to but a lot alike in a lot of ways. I appreciate the offer and will let you know. Bill

started tearing this thing down this week. removed the tranny and then pulled the engine. For a car with only 69000 miles on it, it definitely has not been taken care of as I would have done. But, it will from now on. Pulled the engine out and put it on the stand. Tore the engine apart and replaced all the gaskets except the head gasket. It was leaking in a lot of places. All of the engine parts were sanded down, painted and shot with clear coat. Engine was painted and shot with clear coat also. This car is a numbers matching car. The only thing that has been replaced on this car has been the intake/exhaust manifolds except for a few maintainence items as normal wear and why these were replaced I don't know. It still has the original starter from the factory on it. When the person did replace the manifolds, for some reason, he did not go back with the correct hardware. Brass washers, hex locknuts, some of the triangle washers were replaced with whatever he could find. That has been put back to factory specs with the help of some of the members here on FABO.

Attachments

• DSC07709.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 648
  • DSC07707.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 673
  • DSC07703.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 701
  • DSC07702.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 668
  • DSC07701.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 642
  • DSC07692.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 720
  • DSC07689.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 701
  • DSC07678.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 646
  • DSC07676.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 670
  • DSC07675.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 679
got to work on the engine today and got a lot done on it. started putting the accessories on it. a/c compressor, alternator, p/s pump and all the pullies. Installed the new studs in the head. sanded down the air cleaner, painted and clear coated it. Hooked up the coil, and put the new dist. cap on, new points, plugs and condenser. Installed the new motor mounts. Pretty much ready to set back in the car except putting on the exhaust/intake manifolds. I am waiting on the Remflex gaskets to get here from Wa. I sanded down the fan to metal and painted and clear coated that also. doesn't look too bad from what it did when we started on it. Going to push the engine in the corner while I wait for the rest of the parts to get here and start on the engine bay. getting it ready to paint. Will remove the front and rear bumpers this week and get them boxed up to go to Tri-City plating down in Tn.

Attachments

• DSC07745.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 636
  • DSC07738.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 623
  • DSC07744.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 662
  • DSC07743.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 640
  • DSC07733.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 633
  • DSC07719.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 647
  • DSC07718.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 632
  • DSC07715.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 625
Great looking car, and nice work on that engine!! No stigma on four doors. I would love to drive that car!

Something you might enjoy:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgzSZTOzDk"]1969 Plymouth Valiant Features - YouTube[/ame]

Love your car. One of the finest survivors I have ever seen. More doors are cool. Truly a great find. Good luck! Tom

I don't know what it is. I think the build sheet show something on trim. I am new to these...but learning.

According to the commercial above the 100's with 200 decor have the side trim and a few other items.

One question I have is was it easier for you to take the tranny first? If so, how did you remove it from the car? did you have to jack the whole car up and take it?

it is easier for me I think because I wanted the engine to come straight up when it came out. I had it up on jackstands all four corners and dropped the tranny out the bottom. supported the engine with a cradle across the fenders. then lifted it with an engine hoist. less weight, engine stays level and I hooked it right to the engine stand when it came out. easier to unbolt TQ while under car than on floor.

update on the rebuild. Things has slowed a little since I broke 3 ribs on 1/8/15. been spending a lot of time researching and buying parts for it. I managed to ship the bumpers off Thursday morning before I had the accident so I am expecting them back next weekend. Today, Tyler is sanding the engine bay and the bottom of the hood and hopefully tomorrow they will be in primer. Here are some parts I bought that has come in recently:

new fender emblems
mounting clips for the side moulding
body bumper kit
engine bay wiring harness straps
new firewall to engine ground strap
windshield washer squirters and hardware
new battery tray
new ground cable
new pos. cable end
new front and rear bumper bolts
4 new door handles
new front and rear shocks
new black dash cap

here is some pics of the engine bay so far today and some of the parts.

Attachments

• DSC07829.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC07828.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC07827.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC07826.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 475
  • DSC07825.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC07824.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 468
  • DSC07843.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC07842.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC07841.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 484
  • DSC07840.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 506
more parts pics

Attachments

• DSC07839.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC07838.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC07831.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 468
  • DSC07830.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 452
boy she better. Thanks Bruce. finding some of these parts is a bear. was going to replace the wiper arm bushings in this thing while I am in there but cant find them. 72 up is plentiful. gonna just leave them alone.

Arm bushings or pivot bushings (where the transmission comes through the cowl)?

bushing that hooks to the wiper motor and the arms. the black ones. they are different than on the 73-76.

well 2 weeks ago today I fell and broke 3 of my ribs carrying parts from the house to the garage. Dr. told me I would be down 4-6 weeks. I cant stand it anymore. Today, I went out to the garage and started working on the Valiant again. somehow I managed to get standing down in the engine bay so I could work on some surface rust on the top of the firewall. I spent about 3 hours doing that. All I have to do is spread a very thin layer of glaze over it and finish it out and the engine bay is ready for primer. also the bumpers came back today from Tri City Plateing all nice and rechromed.

Attachments

• DSC07858.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC07857.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC07854.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC07853.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC07852.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC07851.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC07855.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 394
Been working this week on the engine bay, trunk area and door jambs getting them ready to hopefully spray color on this areas this weekend. Got a few more parts in this week. all four hinges are going to get new pins and bushings while the doors are off. I received the pins and bushings, new fender mount turn signals, some trunk area body plugs, new tranny mount and the cat whiskers for the doors.

Attachments

• DSC07875.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC07876.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 358
-
Back