My 5.9 into '68 Dart swap

-
Maybe shim the engine over a little to the passenger side. If I hadn't already swapped out the rag joint for a U joint they would had definitely been hitting there.

I was gonna mention that too. May go with the u-joint shaft. From what I've read and seen gives you room. Probably could get away with just jacking up the engine and pulling the column. Little work. Let us know.

Well I got the header to steering box clearance issue worked out. I took a multi level approach to get the clearance I needed.
First I fabricated an 1/8" thick spacer to go under the drivers side mount, hopefully pushing the engine just a bit towards the passenger side.
Then I did some creative shaping on the end of the steering column with a dremel tool and a stone.
Finally put a small dent in the header using a very long punch and a hammer.
The combo of these things got me about 3/16" clearance.
Here's some pics. First pic is the area where it was hitting.

IMG_20170625_114352397.jpg

IMG_20170625_124927807.jpg

IMG_20170625_114718487.jpg

IMG_20170625_125401342.jpg

IMG_20170625_130359770_HDR.jpg

Also tried loosening the bolts at the bottom of the steering column inside the car to see if the column would move to the drivers side at all. But that gained me nothing.

Not much to report, progress has been a little slow lately. Working long hours and wife has us camping every other weekend it seems.
Did manage to get the car up on stands yesterday and I slipped the passenger side header in from the bottom. Went right in, took longer to get the car up on stands than it took to get the header on. At least with them both on I could get some idea of what changes I'll have to make to mate the headers up with my existing exhaust system.

I absolutely hate it when my wife drags me out camping and fishing.
Well I don't mind the camping and fishing that much, but it does cut into my car time.
Feel like by the time I get this thing running and back on the road, summer will be over.

I hear ya there brother. Allways something getting in the way.....
LMAO

Hey, I think this thread is what finally put me over the edge... I've bought a pos magnum block and I'm in the middle of tearing it down.

I was planning on hiding it as an LA but really like the idea of the serpentine belt setup once I saw it on yours.

Had a few questions if you get time. The RPM manifold you bought, does it look like the alternator/condenser bracket will interfere with your hoses? Do you plan on running air conditioning or are you going to use a bypass pulley like this one Dorman offers? Power steering pump, any issues?

Sorry to bombard - I should probably find out if my block and heads are even viable before going into this but your pics got me thinking. Great work by the way.

Hey, I think this thread is what finally put me over the edge... I've bought a pos magnum block and I'm in the middle of tearing it down.

I was planning on hiding it as an LA but really like the idea of the serpentine belt setup once I saw it on yours.

Had a few questions if you get time. The RPM manifold you bought, does it look like the alternator/condenser bracket will interfere with your hoses? Do you plan on running air conditioning or are you going to use a bypass pulley like this one Dorman offers? Power steering pump, any issues?

Sorry to bombard - I should probably find out if my block and heads are even viable before going into this but your pics got me thinking. Great work by the way.

Well, the alt-compressor bracket did get in the way of where one of the heater hoses is suppose to go. If you look back a little in this thread you'll see that I drilled out and tapped one of the other holes in the manifold to move the heater hose from under the bracket, to a little closer to the passenger side.
I am planning on adding an aftermarket a/c setup sometime, but thought I would keep the stock magnum a/c compressor and just buy the rest of the setup. In fact I was going to go ahead and mount the a/c compressor and just not hook up the wires. But after seeing that a/c bypass bracket that you posted I think I'll buy one of those to use until I actually get around to doing the a/c.
I haven't messed around with radiator hoses yet. May have to use a magnum upper hose to get around the a/c compressor, not sure on that yet.
Also, glad I inspired you to go magnum but mines not running yet so I cant tell you how much of a difference it will be from my old 318.

p.s. On the power steering pump, I'm planning on running the stock magnum pump. However it does interfere with the battery tray a bit. The usual fix for this is to get a power steering pump bracket off and dodge ram Van, which mounts the pump a little lower on the engine. So far however I have had no luck finding a ram van in the junkyard that hasn't already had the engine gone.
Some guys on here have run the pump in the stock position by narrowing their battery tray, and getting a battery that's not as wide.

p.s. On the power steering pump, I'm planning on running the stock magnum pump. However it does interfere with the battery tray a bit. The usual fix for this is to get a power steering pump bracket off and dodge ram Van, which mounts the pump a little lower on the engine. So far however I have had no luck finding a ram van in the junkyard that hasn't already had the engine gone. Some guys on here have run the pump in the stock position by narrowing their battery tray, and getting a battery that's not as wide.

Hm... just gives me another reason to want to move the battery back to the trunk =)

Thanks very much for the info! I'm pretty much dead set on going with the RPM manifold too so will have to do the same to get it to work.

I'm a long ways out but got a lot done today tearing the short-block down to just the block. Trying to get it ready for our local engine shop to tank and check out. Really happy with how the cylinder walls and all the bearings looked. Cam was toast here as well.

So, small update. Got a powersteering pump bracket from a van off ebay. It was pretty crusty when it showed up. Looked like it had spent a few years at the bottom of lake erie or something.
Anyway after a couple hours with a wire wheel on my bench grinder, a smaller wire wheel in my hand drill, and some work with a dremel tool I got it cleaned up enough to paint. Also cleaned up my p/s pump and got it painted.
You can see from the pics I'm posting the difference between the truck bracket and the van bracket.
First couple are the truck bracket, then some pics of the van bracket and the finished result.

IMG_20170714_122047254.jpg

IMG_20170714_122120852_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170714_172556297_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170714_172606688_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170714_184238954.jpg

IMG_20170715_145740712.jpg

IMG_20170715_145759946.jpg

IMG_20170715_151541977.jpg

I also picked up a Dorman 34178 a/c delete bracket/pulley.
Seems like a decent piece only the mounting holes are too big, but they give you some spacers to put in the holes to close them up a bit.

IMG_20170714_171732533.jpg

IMG_20170714_171824222.jpg

IMG_20170715_160452338.jpg

I do need to run out and buy a new accessory drive belt for a van, since moving the powersteering pump the old truck belt is too short.

Well been having trouble finding the right belt. All I've changed is and a/c delete pulley which is the same size as the a/c pulley and in the same location. And the van style p/s pump mount.
Thought I could just buy a belt for a van and it would fit, but too short. Bought the biggest 7 rib belt I could find 101.3" its still just a little short, even with the tensioner pulled all the way over it wont quite go on. Thinking of buying an 8 rib belt, cause I can get a 102.5" or a 103.5" and cutting one rib off the edge. Seems like kind of a hokey way to go, but I really don't know why the van belt is too short.
Help from anyone who has switched to the van style p/s pump mount would be appreciated.

Spent a few hours today pulling the engine back out, well not completely out but unbolted from the tranny and pulled it forward and up about a foot so I could install the alignment dowels on the back of the block, which I found lying on my bench After I installed the engine the first time.
Was a pain in the butt, especially working alone. But got it done, and it gave me the opportunity to beat on my headers in a couple of spots to make for a little more clearance between the steering box and the header.
I hate it when I screw up and forget some little thing that ends up making me take steps backwards to correct. But its fixed now and I can move on.

IMG_20170709_152341721.jpg

i dont know about the ac delete pulley, but the van has a smaller compressor pulley than the truck. ran into this when i went with the van bracket. dave.

i dont know about the ac delete pulley, but the van has a smaller compressor pulley than the truck. ran into this when i went with the van bracket. dave.
I was wondering if some of the pulleys or idlers were smaller on the van. That might explain why the van belt didn't fit my engine.

How about a smaller idler pulley on the tensioner?
Didn't change the tensioner pulley, but you gave me the idea. I did a search and found a Dayco 7 groove idler pulley that was 3.5" diameter and used it to replace the 5.25" idler on the a/c delete bracket. And now it works great with the 101.3" belt. Advance auto parts had it in stock.

IMG_20170730_213038689.jpg

IMG_20170730_213135370.jpg

I've gotten a few small things done. Progress has been slow because of other things.
Got my power steering hose figured out, nothing custom, just a new hose for a '72 Dart with V8.
Just had to curve it back and up slightly and it lined up great with the magnum pump.

IMG_20170812_132553720.jpg

IMG_20170812_132540482.jpg

Also had to fix another spot where the drivers side header was hitting the steering box.. Had to jack the motor up and push it towards the pass side, and partially remove the drag link so I could get the header down and out the bottom so I could beat a flat spot on it. All good now.

Also, I was planning on leaving the valve covers black but after seeing how much of the red is covered up by the accessories and such I decided it needed more red.

And I got new valve cover grommets for the pcv valve and breather.
IMG_20170824_103515038.jpg

IMG_20170824_103523410.jpg

IMG_20170824_103553225.jpg

-
Back