My '67 Valiant 100 Big Block 4 Speed Restoration

-
mine was white with dark red interior, but was changed before i bought it. it is now blue with black interior. im thinking about going back to original eventually. great progress, it will be fun.

coming along great. i just did my own take on a dc k frame 2 weeks ago. had a ratty sb spool k frame i chopped the towers off and welded them where i wanted the 400 to sit on my slant k frame. i used my headers to put it where it fit then checked the dimensions. came out much nicer than cuttign the tower and sliding the top portion back. i used a good running 400 for a budget build cruiser. it really was at the max for a hone and rering but thats the route i went and i used a 383 steel crank and balancer to make things easier with the stick flywheel. had it rebalanced. it came out cheaper than buying a funky balanced 400 flywheel and im much better off. to keep things within my budget i used my old rebuilt 906 heads from my other car, valve springs from an old cam i ran, a summit cam, used adjustable iron rockers, used pushrods, and a summit chain. ive used the summit cams and chains in other stuff and they worked out great. you dont need to spend crazy money to have fun.

mine was white with dark red interior, but was changed before i bought it. it is now blue with black interior. im thinking about going back to original eventually. great progress, it will be fun.

Thanks discharger. White with red interior would look great!!! plus its original :yawinkle:

coming along great. i just did my own take on a dc k frame 2 weeks ago. had a ratty sb spool k frame i chopped the towers off and welded them where i wanted the 400 to sit on my slant k frame. i used my headers to put it where it fit then checked the dimensions. came out much nicer than cuttign the tower and sliding the top portion back. i used a good running 400 for a budget build cruiser. it really was at the max for a hone and rering but thats the route i went and i used a 383 steel crank and balancer to make things easier with the stick flywheel. had it rebalanced. it came out cheaper than buying a funky balanced 400 flywheel and im much better off. to keep things within my budget i used my old rebuilt 906 heads from my other car, valve springs from an old cam i ran, a summit cam, used adjustable iron rockers, used pushrods, and a summit chain. ive used the summit cams and chains in other stuff and they worked out great. you dont need to spend crazy money to have fun.
Sounds like it came out great :happy10: Got any pictures?

Great news!!!!!!!!!!! I finally got my brand new AMD floor pan :toothy7::happy7::toothy7: Another $465 gone (had it shipped) :(
Anyway I want to give a very big thanks to cudacrazy for making this possible ;) He gave me $500 for my Valiant as part of the deal when we got our '65 Barracuda. Thank you again cudacrazy :yawinkle:

Now time to cut all those spot welds :(

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 818
  • 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 778
Stripped the rust from the doors last week. Man were those pits deep:cwm10: A year or two more outside and they would have been holes.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 746
  • 5.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 757
  • 4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 762
  • 3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 775
  • 2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 772
  • 1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 764
Also picked these up. I got the sway bar for $10 and it included new bushings and tabs to mount it to the K-frame. Now I need to get lower control arms with the tabs on them. The clutch fan came from a Mopar & it was $5. The air cleaner is a factory '72 340 air cleaner with a vacum flap in the back that acts like a second snorkel. The flap is missing but the vacum mechanism is still there. Also the snorkel was removed but we plan on getting another one from a /6 air clear to replace it as it is the same. My dad made a duel snorkel air cleaner for his Newport by using the snorkel off a /6 one. Anyways, the air cleaner is rough but for $20 what the heck :cheese: Also I was looking through my dads stash of parts and found this vintage Sun tach. Its all metal and is dated '69 on the back. If I can get it working I'm going to use it.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 745
  • 4.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 738
  • 3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 766
  • 2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 764
  • 1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 761
Great Pics of all you are doing! I am the one that just joined this site and took your user name by accident...:eek:ops: Got it fixed. Hey my 67 is in my shop in the same stage as yours. I am really enjoying your progress. Keep it up. I want to see your floor in!! Hey just looking at the part number of your floor pan...why is it for a 70-76??? Differant part number for 67...:scratch: i plan on getting my floor pan from AMD and was just courious.

Hey Stockdog, don't worry about the same name thing. The only difference in part #s is that the later 70-76 stamping is slightly different in the rib stampings. The floor pans for '67-'69 Valiants & 'Cudas, and '70-'76 Dusters, Demons, & Dart Sports all interchange. The wheel bases in these cars are shorter than Darts & Scamps which require slightly different floor pans.

Got the old rotted floor pan removed last Sunday :cheers: Yesterday I grounded down all the spot welds so it'll be nice and neat for when it comes time to put the new one in. My ears are still ringing from the grinder :eek:fftheai: Any ways the next step should be sandblasting the car & getting it in primer. Then its time to do the body work.

Air chisel makes quick work in getting rid of the old :iconbigg:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 704
  • 2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 683
  • 5.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 691
  • 4.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 699
  • 3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 696
  • 6.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 710
Been following this. Great vision and fortitude.

Keep knocking down the nasty stuff.

You'll be over the hump soon and it will be all fun.

Nice car man! I too am a teenage enthusiest and I'll be starting up my Dart project once my Dakota is done here soon... Thanks for the inspiration to get going!

Sorry about not updating. Lost the cord to upload pictures to the computer.

Thanks Fastback. My father used the air chisle to cut the old pan out but I had to drill all those dam spot welds.

Hemitheus- I haven't gotten around to getting the floor pan in because the car hasn't been sand blasted yet to remove the rust where the new pan will go. We finnaly got a new air compressor that can keep up with sand blasting so hopefully that will be soon.

As for progress, both fenders are finnaly completly in primer. Not much but it's something. Also picked up a few trinkets for it. Too much going on like picking up another Chrysler Newport, family vaction, Carlsile, and such.

Anyways, hopeing to get alot of stuff for it at Carlsile.

Little status update:

Carlsile was amazing. I didn't pick as many things for the Valiant as planed tho. (dang Newports and Barracuda :mrgreen: ) I did however get my large bolt pattern disk brake set up though for a $140, Don't think I did to bad :mrgreen: Them suckers are HEAVY :???: Any way I'm working on getting another sand blasting gun as the one we have sucks (its like 15-20 years old :wack: )

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 611
A little project I working is making a factory style heater delete bezel. I bought another bezel at Carlsile as I didn't want to hack my original incase I ever put a heater back in. I've been going off a picture of a factory piece that a fellow member (pauly v.100) sent me. So far I have grounded off the letters and raised areas with a dremel and smoothed it out with 320 grit sand paper. Next will be to fill in the holes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 508
  • 2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 510
  • 3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 512
  • 4.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 510
  • 5.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 496
  • 6.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 490
  • 7.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 501
Nice progress !

That Paxton is really old ! I can tell by its tag's markings :
3-digit addresses in Santa Monica went the way of the Do-Do in the mid-60's , and the phone number of EX.-42771 ( "EX" prefix =EXner ).

Keep up the great work !

Thanks LH23H2R!!! My father thought the Paxton was from the mid '70s early '80s. We even have an older one thats the same thing but is a McCulloch!!! My guess is that that one is from the '50s and I think it came off a Studeabaker.

It very well could've come from a 289 ( not a Ford engine ! ) Studebaker , or even a c.1957 Thunderbird , a GT 350S Mustang , a 1972 GSS Demon (!!) or just an off-the-shelf purchase .
Perhaps someone with the knowledge of Paxton's p.n.'s / model numbers could shed some light , as my guess is that it's from 1957 at its earliest ( 1956 & earlier phone numbers were 6-digit ) , and as late as c.1970 ( phone numbers were changed from "Exchange Names" to all numbers for the most part by '70 ) .

Cool find either way . I'm just nerding-out :icescrea:

-
Back