my 68 cuda engine compartment

-
well, took me a while but trying to do everything right....finally got my engine installed, over the last couple months...been waiting on this, that, and having to get more parts takes a whole lotta time...I had to make a custom trans cooler bracket that mounts in front of radiator, came out real nice i would say...just gotta run my lines for it...

I couldnt find a damn radiator hose that fit so i had to buy 2 hoses with the correct bends, vut em and install an aluminum pipe to join them...they have a bead roll on each end so the hose dont come off..

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

You know you are driving FABO members in the north and Canada crazy with the minimal rust in your photos. Nothing like starting with a CA car, even NorCal. I did the same engine bay repaint, but with engine in car. I stripped everything else out. I found more rust under the paint, mainly below the cowl lip. I suspect my car was actually from Reno since I found some dealer cards, etc. The passenger's floorboard was rusted thru. I wish there was a way to treat the inside of the frame rails. I blew them out and sprayed rust converter, best I could do.

Good you are rebuilding the wiper pivots since that is an over-looked area that often causes drips. I got the kit with grease fittings. Grease prevents water from running down the shaft. In a western car the wiper system is barely worn.

I am working similar radiator hose issues. Amazing what isn't available. I figured out the Autozone radiator I got was intended for a slant six w/ heavy duty cooling option. I got the earliest they showed (72 Dart?) The top inlet is on the passenger's side, but works better to miss the compressor anyway. Many engine swappers do like you, with a metal coupler. Some buy the 95 Ford F-150 V-8 upper hose since it is long with many bends. Instead of a plain coupler, a 1.5" in-line strainer is available, usually shown for 60's Mustangs (~$40). Better than your radiator being the filter. There are also couplers with vent valves or temperature sensor fittings. Another thought is to get one for your other cars, so if it doesn't work you can still use it. It looks like the upper hose for my 65 Newport will work for my 65 Dart setup. With a metal coupler, you can afford short sections of the expensive, silicone hose for a colorful tuner look. I saw one like that at a recent show, with coupler painted green to match the hose.

I wish there was a way to treat the inside of the frame rails. I blew them out and sprayed rust converter, best I could do.

QUOTE]

Eastwood sells a product for treating frame rails, rockers, etc. It is an aerosol with a hose and a special spray head on the end. You snake it through an access hole and pull it back out while spraying. No personal experience but I'm going to buy 2-3 cans this week.
I actually came up with a similar thing 20 years ago but never pursued it.

My 68 cuda is native NoCal and has more rust than I expected, but I'm not complaining!

getting my trans cooler all dialed in. made the bracket, and bent up my lines...took me forever....lol

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

That is a nice and clean install. where did you get the fittings?

i got them from my local speed shop...They are XRP fittings. (Xtreme Racecar Plumbing). Summit and jegs are not dealers of them, they are just like earls, russell, aeromotive, aero quip. but only XRP brand....dunno why summit dont carry em....all i know is they are friggin expensive...

Guess I better do a google search for a speed shop here.

Nice plumbing. Love the "all hard lines" result. I installed a similar plate type cooler in my Dart, but a cheaper model with hose nipples, so had to use short sections of rubber hose. I plumbed in a temp switch. It has AN fittings and would have been much cleaner on a threaded cooler like yours. On mine, it was more fittings and rubber hose.

Any time you customize, it takes forever. After much consternation I decided to bypass the radiator cooler. I didn't want to risk coolant in the tranny. My Newport's 727 runs cool on just the after-market cooler, and that is a cheaper tube type.

update: started on the wiring, using an E-Z wire 12 circuit mini fuse kit. VERY bare bones.

Got me a 70-newer solid state unit V/R. I made a bracket that mounts it to the factory location of the early style unit.

early unit bolted in:

IMG_2967.jpg

Bracket:

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

same shape as V/R

IMG_2972.jpg

mount installed:

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

V/R mounted:

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

some pics of how im gonna route the wires. its a mess!

IMG_2981.jpg

more to come.

Good job on the transmission cooler and voltage bracket, well thought out and nice attention to detail.

I went to the beginning and checked it out. I really love the way you painted the frame rails body color too. I hate it when someone spends the time to paint the engine compartment and then paints the rails black. You get bonus points from me on that. :thumleft:

:bounce: I don't see a new right fender on there?

It's not on there YET! But it will be my friend!!! I still got it, don't worry! Seeeee!

You can see it tucked in the corner on the right: :)

IMG_2983.jpg

BTW, where ya been? How ya been?

HEY!!! Nice job; I just started on mine this passed week and i was thinking of the same color. What kind of paint gun did you use looks nice.I will post my pics as soon as i can hope i get it right. Thanks for the help!!!

nice idea on the V/R bracket,,,plug looks new ? where did you get a new plug ? and will be interested in hearing about the EZ wire harness,,,[ /COLOR]

-
Back