My 71 Duster Project

-
Yes me too! What a headache it was, but everything turned out for the best and I got a much better build out of it. As far as estimates on the motor, the builder is saying that I should see around 400hp at the flywheel and that was guessing on the low side. He says with all the internal work and porting, I may even see 450hp. We will see. I have $350 now towards the dyno time so I just need to come up with $250 more, plus some break-in oil and filters. I will keep it on the engine stand until that day! More to follow!

car looks great, thank god everything worked out with the motor! that's awesome you and your son working together, I have a 12 and 5 year old boys my 12 yo has no interest in cars but my 5 yo loves cars and monster trucks so he has been wanting to help in the garage so im going to start letting him help me. what do you think your motor will make on the dyno? MARK.

Here are a couple more close up shots for you all. I should get my spark plugs (AR-3924) here in the next couple of days and then I will slave the spark plug wires on. I installed the timing tape this evening and sealed it with some clear seam sealer so it will definitely not come off. I marked TDC and 34 degrees total timing on the balancer just in case. Enjoy! More to follow!

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_1025.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_1024.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_1023.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_1022.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_1021.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 692
Today the boy and I took the engine off the engine stand and put it back on the shipping crate in preparation for the trip to the engine dyno. I needed to get the engine level so I can fill it with break in oil and prime/clock everything prior to fully installing the intake manifold. I did notice that there are four tabs on each corner of the heads that stick out. Are these supposed to lay flat or stick up once the manifold gets installed? I added some pics for reference. I am using eddy gaskets and I plan to lay a thick bead of sealant instead of the end seals as recommended. Any ideas? As far as dyno day goes, I will be scheduling that with the builder in the morning. I am shooting for around the 15th or so to take it to him. Anyone wanna take some stabs at what kind of power she will make at the flywheel? I will let you all know once we take it there and I will definitely take videos and post the dyno sheets.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_1083.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_1082.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 640
Wow, quiet crowd nowadays! Anyways, tonight my buddy came over and we filled the engine with break-in oil and primed everything. It took a good three mins to get pressure on the guage, but it finally got there. Initial pressure was around 90psi and then after 5 mins of priming we ended up around 80psi. Two burnt up drills later (One corded and one cordless) everything was getting oil where it should have. The intake is now installed and torqued and ready for dyno day. My builder called me this week and told me he is gonna try and get me in the first week of Feb. Stand by for the results...

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_1135.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_1134.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 620
Looking Darn Good Mr. Smart.... I see Mr. Little Smart is getting it done!!! :)
Hope all go's well. also always, Nice job

OK I got bored waiting for dyno day so my buddy Jim and I decided to install the engine temporarily to make sure the modifications I did worked for the transmission. Everything lined up and fits perfectly so now I can final weld the z-bar frame mount and finish up the trans tunnel under the car. Here is a snapshot of what the final product is going to look like. She is starting to look awesome! Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• IMG_1143.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_1142.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_1139.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_1138.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_1145.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_1144.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 565
I just got a call from the engine builder today and he is ready for the engine to come to him this Monday for dyno tuning! It is going to be an exciting week. I will post the results and videos! Meanwhile, here are some pics of the work I have been doing in between wait times. I added an Assassin traction bar setup and added a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge to monitor carb settings.

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0640.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 504
You burnt out 2 drills while priming the engine..... LOL. I have a feeling that engine will end up burning a whole lot of rubber too! I can't wait to see the dyno results. I'm guessing around 450 horse....:happy1:

Yeah I was not to sure about that one. The engine builder says he uses high torque drills in place of battery powered and electric high-speed drills. He said he would doublecheck before he fired it up. It just seemed like there was a lot of pressure once I had everything primed. I'm sure it's a combination of straight 30 weight break in oil and cold-weather. It will be on its way in the morning!

OK I got a call from the builder last night and he told me that the engine fired up on the first try and sounded really good! Pistons are seated and cam is broke in (even though its not required on a roller setup). He is concerned with oil pressure right now. He was seeing a little over 100psi on the guage at first and then dropped to 90psi. He thinks that the relief bypass valve is stuck causing the pump not to bypass the pressure. He did some adjustments and plans to fire it up again today and tune the carb and MSD system. We are hoping for horsepower runs either late Wed or Thurs. More updates to follow...

Wow, I just read this build from the beginning and have to say that you have done some amazing work. I look forward to seeing the Dyno Numbers. This is going to be one beautiful car when finished.

this is a little late but were the piston's installed right??? aren't the notches suppose to be to the outside of the block???? Just asking--Steve

this is a little late but were the piston's installed right??? aren't the notches suppose to be to the outside of the block???? Just asking--Steve

Hmmm...Not sure on that. My engine builder in town built the longblock so I am assuming he did it correctly. He is pretty knowleageble with Mopars as he builds them for the sprint car guys at the racetrack. I know that they were shaved to get the compression correct.

Looking at my engine book and looking at similar setups online, the pistons are install correctly.

I had a Milling Pump in My 360 "Hang up" Before I starting Check all of them dam pumps. I had one of the pumps (when it was put together) The guy shoved the end cap in to far. Installed the retainer for the piston, spring, and cap. But the cap did not come all the way back to seat at the retainer. I put the oil pump in and Man did that Motor launch oil filters....LOL
I can laugh about it now, But man was I pissed at the time....

Hope all goes well Ken... Hope you can get some picks and get some time down there to see whats going on.... It's quit a experience the first time.... So much fun if all goes well...
:)

Thanks Bob. I talked with him last night and he pulled the pan and pulled the pump. He said everything looked good and was going to put it back together and do more runs today. He told me he has seen it where the bypass doesnt seat sometimes so hopefully pulling it apart and reseating everything fixes it. Worst case scenario he will change the pump out. I am going to get down there and watch the final runs when he is ready. I just dont want to go down there and bug him while he is tuning and working the bugs out of her. He is calling me every night with the updates so I am happy. I will definetly get some horsepower run videos, idle videos and videos from the back of the dyno once he gets the kinks worked out. Thanks for the help!

I had a Milling Pump in My 360 "Hang up" Before I starting Check all of them dam pumps. I had one of the pumps (when it was put together) The guy shoved the end cap in to far. Installed the retainer for the piston, spring, and cap. But the cap did not come all the way back to seat at the retainer. I put the oil pump in and Man did that Motor launch oil filters....LOL
I can laugh about it now, But man was I pissed at the time....

Hope all goes well Ken... Hope you can get some picks and get some time down there to see whats going on.... It's quit a experience the first time.... So much fun if all goes well...
:)

Here are some pictures of the final results from the dyno. After replacing a bad oil pump, she made 421hp and 408 ft lbs of torque with a 2" carb spacer. With no spacer, it made 391hp with the same torque. Not bad at all out of a 340! The torque/hp curve all the way through was flat so I am guessing that is good? It made power from 2200rpm all the way to 6800rpm and then fell off hard. Its a beast! Enjoy the pics! I have videos too, but I have to figure out how to post them.

-
Back