my hungry new stroker ! !

-
my guess and this is a total guess, is that the pieces once chomped up, flipped on top of the crank and connecting rods and flew up through the cam drain Valley and up into the lifter Valley?

im happy you found it i did not think it would make it into the valley .

im happy you found it i did not think it would make it into the valley .

I mean really who would have thought? I would have rather taken the intake manifold off five times or even 10 instead of taking the oil pan off once, what a pain in the a$$! the whole lifting the motor up grovelling around the ground trying to scrape gasket off the bottom of the motor, brand new motor that is :banghead: just to find out the two pieces missing we're in the intake Valley :violent1: I never really did have to take the oil pan off as there was really nothing in there to talk about. we cut the filter open today at the machine shop and again really nothing to talk about.

Thank you everyone's wishes of good luck finding the broken pieces because I know no one wants to go through that. And thank you for all the advice, also stay tuned for my next thread discussing the other problems I found!#-o entitled - crap what next ?! Lol

Yikes!!! Building a stroker now. Is there anything I should be aware of so this doesn't happen to me

I used a stock one from Mancini. Is there a problem running a stock one? This is the first example of anyone having problems that I've heard of.

here's where my lack of experience comes in? I just bought a normal dipstick and tube. I can only assume that the Milodon one is shaped different or something? again lack of experience. thinking that the dipstick is a dipstick. I'll be using it shorty for driving and running and a normal onefor checking the oil and that's that! I'm very curious to see a side by side comparison between a Milodon and a stock off the shelf stick?

I just looked up the Milodon dipstick and it looks straight and most important rigid. Yup lessons learned.
I'll use the shory/long method til the end of the season and put in a Milodon this winter.

I used a stock one from Mancini. Is there a problem running a stock one? This is the first example of anyone having problems that I've heard of.

Not to worry Brian T, by the time you get your motor back the 408 stroker will be obsolete !! :banghead: :poke:

I just had the same thing happen to my new 408 stroker. Fortunately the stick did not shatter, just bent up really bad. Strange thing was there were no issues at all during brake in or any time I have run the car over the past week. Just happened first time I took it out.

You guys running the Milodon Dip Sticks, Are you using part number 22040? Just want to make sure I order the right one.

I just had the same thing happen to my new 408 stroker. Fortunately the stick did not shatter, just bent up really bad. Strange thing was there were no issues at all during brake in or any time I have run the car over the past week. Just happened first time I took it out.

You guys running the Milodon Dip Sticks, Are you using part number 22040? Just want to make sure I order the right one.
Chrysler small block # is 22060....22040 is for Ford.

make you as nervous as me missing 2 pushrods ,I found 1wrapped around my distributor shaft ,and the other cut in 1/2 , down in the pan with 2 lifters ,and an arm off my rockers , 1 cam with 2 lobes gone , luckily no head damage or any scores to pistons or walls , and crank looked nice yet 100% total rebuild free on comps dime after a long dispute , but up and tearing up the tires now, really glad you found that issue in time , and I hope no more damage is found or been done . hope your nerves calm down soon ,
and your back stroking it.Nice save , gl from here on out !!! Jon

make you as nervous as me missing 2 pushrods ,I found 1wrapped around my distributor shaft ,and the other cut in 1/2 , down in the pan with 2 lifters ,and an arm off my rockers , 1 cam with 2 lobes gone , luckily no head damage or any scores to pistons or walls , and crank looked nice yet 100% total rebuild free on comps dime after a long dispute , but up and tearing up the tires now, really glad you found that issue in time , and I hope no more damage is found or been done . hope your nerves calm down soon ,
and your back stroking it.Nice save , gl from here on out !!! Jon

thank you for wishing me good luck! it was very touch & go, and after the first rebuild. now I've got a dozen passes and doing some of its best times, so I'm thinking things should be fine internally. again, thank you....
now on to the next problem? LOL #-o ....

nothing left to do but laugh or cry!? I feel really bad for ya.

Don't feel bad for me, I don't?!? I have a life. I work on my car when I can, no reality show deadlines for me. I know if/when I ever get my engine back, it will be done right. My buddy is supposed to come over on Saturday and work on painting the engine compartment. **** is getting done, just very slowly. lol

Don't feel bad for me, I don't?!? I have a life. I work on my car when I can, no reality show deadlines for me. I know if/when I ever get my engine back, it will be done right. My buddy is supposed to come over on Saturday and work on painting the engine compartment. **** is getting done, just very slowly. lol

That's what I told people too. My engine took about 18 months because I wasn't in a hurry and had plenty of other crap to do in the meantime. People would act like they lost their minds when I told them that. I'm just like whatever, it's not like I'm not busy getting other things put together.

Takes me a while as well. I'm in no rush even though I would liked to have it done yesterday. But there are other things in life that are more important needing attention first.
While I can say the last engine was a two year build, actual time spent on doing the work was probably less than a week minus wait time for the machinist.

Once I have everything at the ready, it takes less than a day to assemble the engine. 1 day to install, break in and ready the engine for the street trials. But until that day arrives I just collect parts and semi set up the work area.

To the OP, one way around the dipstick issue is to remove the dipstick altogether and install a second plug in the pan for oil level. This is how my pan is done.

-
Back