my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
Just thought I'd throw a picture of what I did for the air cleaner. It's off a 318 magnum because it didn't cost me anything.....
Also, the oil was coming from the valve cover. It was dripping off the filter itself, making it seem like that was the issue. Rotten rubber gaskets they gave me in the kit. I always use cork and I don't have any issues. I tightened them down some more, hopefully the leak stops or I put cork on!

DSCN0654[1].jpg

DSCN0655[1].jpg

That sounds purdy dang good. Usually, transmission leaks in that area end up being the dipstick tube.

Leaks are fixed. Right, RRR. It was the dip stick tube. Valve cover doesn't seem to be leaking anymore since I tightened. Still don't like the rubber valve cover gasket. I guess now it's on to the exhaust.....

Leaks are fixed. Right, RRR. It was the dip stick tube. Valve cover doesn't seem to be leaking anymore since I tightened. Still don't like the rubber valve cover gasket. I guess now it's on to the exhaust.....

Awesome coolness. Glad it is going so well. Keep us posted.

Great job!!
You know me- I want time slips!?? LOL
When I get the exhaust on, I'll do some tweaking, and then I'll be heading to the track. I'm pretty confident, after a quick run out of town, that I'll reach my goal (goals are set in the 2nd post of this thread).

Dual exhaust? Nice!
yeah, right now it's kind of cobbled so I could break in the cam and drive it a little. I'm not counting the cost of the duals or installation because this build assumes one already has the 318 2bbl and duals. Once I get the exhaust on, I can start to tweak it in, then get 'er to the strip for an E.T. slip :D

great thread! I'm glad I found it today, just read all 17 pages and watched all the videos! lol A LOT of great info, I just took apart my 318 yesterday that Ive had on my stand for over a year (motor was gotten out of car in a trade) need to get it to the machine shop and have them check it over, sounds like I need to get to porting my heads while its apart!

cant wait to see your video and ET!

Nice job! Glad it went well, you inspired me to grind on my X heads on my 340 when I was swapping cams and springs, just got it fired up for the first time tonight too, it is a great feeling after all the work.

Yup,leave the caps on and spray with a 150 shot....hahaha!

exhaust is on, trying to tweak the eddy. Runs great normal driving. Mash it out of the hole, and it has a flat spot. The accelerator pump is not bad.
I was given an old 750 eddy for junk. I have put the squirters from the 750 on my 600. The 600 had a number 28, and the 750 had a number 35. Just a little bigger hole in the squirter. I also used the springs under the metering rods because they seemed a little stiffer. They were orange, had less coils. I also have the accelerator pump rod on the top hole giving it the most travel. It all has helped a lot however I haven't cured it.
I need to get this common problem found on eddy's fixed before I do or try anything else. The next thing on the list is to remove the weight on top of the ball under the squirters. Running a little short on ideas after removing the weight. By the way, it hauls on out really well once it gets past the "flat" spot, that's "not so flat" now but still exists.

I do know the secondary air door sometimes needs adjustment,usually towards the tighter side.

I do know the secondary air door sometimes needs adjustment,usually towards the tighter side.
I disconnected the back barrels from coming open mechanically. That way the air "flap" wouldn't open and it was like a 2bbl carb. still has the hesitation.
Keep in mind the factory converter and gears are amplifying this. If I had a 2600 stall and 3.55's, I'm sure it would be next to "non-existant".

Mine is the 1405. Supposed to come from eddy a little richer. There are mods to try with drill bits. Just a little frustration on the fact the most folks have the same problem and eddy continues to pump out "Lean Machines" so most there customers get to drill, buy metering kits, spring kits.... just bad business as far as I'm concerned. Most Holley's are "out of the box" performance. I will continue to work with this eddy, cause it's what I got in this build. I have Holleys that I bet I could bolt on and the rest would be history

Yeah I haven't gotten serious with the Eddys yet but found this very useful info.

Yeah really. Quit all the blabberin already and lets hear the firetruckin thing.

I guess that's why edelbrocks new carbs come with an instruction manual and a chart in the back that helps to change the jets correctly. I didn't have a bog with my eddie,it was more on t he rich side. 2 steps down in jets and it was fixed.Obviously edelbrock is aware of the issue..

-
Back