my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
yeah, we'll get there...... just got her going. I'll get the plug wire separator clips. That's a pretty neat trick that works, though

That's some hillbilly engineering on the wire separators. Like it.

The only thing I probably wouldn't do is pull the main one tight. Not sure I'd want to squeeze the wire insulation tight. It's an ingenious way to make do with common shop supplies.

The afb versions use a counterweighhted air door. You need to set the float level to make sure its
Right, lighten the counterweights a little, and stick the oem squirtor back in and the bog will go away. Yes - i read the note about disconnecting them....

The afb versions use a counterweighhted air door. You need to set the float level to make sure its
Right, lighten the counterweights a little, and stick the oem squirtor back in and the bog will go away. Yes - i read the note about disconnecting them....
Ok, I'll lighten the counterweights.

That thing sounds really healthy! I've been following this thread from the start. I've owned several dodge trucks with 318's in them and always got **** for it "put a 360 in it". But I've always touted their ability to be a great little engine to motivate the car to move!

Can't you just use a twist drill and make a custom sized squirter?
Yeah, there is few ways to do that. I'm getting it pretty close right now.
- Like to post a few tuning tips along the way that my car likes (key is what the car likes). I took the distributor apart. I took the weak spring on the mechanical advance from a junk dizzy and used it to replace the heavy spring on mine. I stopped about .100 of the mechanical slot on the weights. It has 18 degrees of mechanical advance. My timing right now is 20 degrees advanced initial (low idle) and 38 degrees fully advanced. Car sounds and responds really good there. Pulls like it should throughout the long, never ending gears LOL.... So I think the timing is very close and is where I'll start. Only thing is, the weak spring I put in it allows it to be fully advanced by about 1800 -2000 rpm's (I'd prefer it not to be fully in till about 3000 rpm's, then run the vacuum advance) so I am not running the vacuum advance for now.

Two of Ma Mopars lighter factory springs usually slow that curve more than that. Is one of those the super light after market springs?

Two of Ma Mopars lighter factory springs usually slow that curve more than that. Is one of those the super light after market springs?
Yes, you are spot on. It was in a old dizzy that I found. It's trial and error. If I find a little heavier spring, I may take it back apart. However, the car really runs great, sounds great, starts great (hot or cold) and pulls very well (for what it is) as the car sits. The tweaking has just begin, and I won't leave it alone....... EVER! LOL. :D

What kind of mufflers? I dont remember reading that, if I missed it sorry.

Also, that turquoise motor really looks good. Have you considered using factory valve covers with the plug wire seperators? That would really set it off in my opinion.

What kind of mufflers? I dont remember reading that, if I missed it sorry.

Also, that turquoise motor really looks good. Have you considered using factory valve covers with the plug wire seperators? That would really set it off in my opinion.
mufflers are the 2 chamber Thrush fully welded for 34.99 each. Exhaust didn't count in the cost of the build as it's assumed one already has the duals. Also, those are factory valve covers (may not be year correct), Just somewhere in the last 40+ years the plug wire separators have been lost. No doubt there is more work to do under the hood. The air cleaner for one, plug wire separators, and a few things like that.

I saw where somebody hacked off the seperators.

I just like how it looks so tame under the hood, yet sounds so healthy. I even like the magnum air cleaner.

I think this thread ought to be a sticky.

I would like to make a trip to the drag strip Saturday. Predicting some rain for Saturday, and I'm not done tweaking, just getting started in fact. But, it would still be fun......... we'll see

I would like to make a trip to the drag strip Saturday. Predicting some rain for Saturday, and I'm not done tweaking, just getting started in fact. But, it would still be fun......... we'll see
Really! This is like putting the big present under the Christmas tree in August and expecting a kid not to lose his mind!

Really! This is like putting the big present under the Christmas tree in August and expecting a kid not to lose his mind!
LOL..... thanks! I've had a blast so far with this project (when I've had the time to work on it).

I for one can't wait!
You made me think I can work on my heads myself, something I've regarded as above my pay grade so far. Thank you!

Well, it's Saturday! You gonna run that beast?!!!
I think I remember that a brand new Hemi Charger would do the quarter in 14.4......
Would be awesome to see a mild 318 do that!

Jeff

Well, it's Saturday! You gonna run that beast?!!!
I think I remember that a brand new Hemi Charger would do the quarter in 14.4......
Would be awesome to see a mild 318 do that!

Jeff
Your right, it's Saturday.... and look where I was :thumbsup:

dragway Light tree.JPG

Last edited:
Stinking eddy.... cough, sputter out of the hole. LOOK at those 60 ft. times, terrible!!! :drama:

On the positive note, LOOK at that SPEED ! :thumbsup: That is besting my target (factory '73 340 Duster auto 3.21), and shows I have plenty of power to bust into the 14's. If my 60 ft. time was even a 2.20, I would have gone at least a 14.80 and pushing better than 94 mph. I almost crossed the finish line in 2nd gear, must be 2.76's LOL. 15.20's is a good run with the way it stuttered. Oh, by the way, isn't that what the '73 340 Duster ran from the factory????

This is the car with just getting the timing close. I've got some tweaking to do. I don't even have a tach, just shift'n by ear. Now, let the tweaking begin.... Oh, yeah, lots' of humidity in the air as they predicted thunderstorms today. I think the temperature was 82. Our track is 700 ft. above sea level.

DSCN0720.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back