• DSC03062.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 772
  • DSC03063.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 786
  • DSC03064.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 763
  • DSC03065.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 778
After a dreadful time camping and white water rafting I'm back at home. I have diabetes and my sugar got out of whack when I was camping with friends. I started to come home because I was sick at my stomach + low sugar. I started off on my motorcycle and dropped it before I moved 2 feet. I just wanted to get back home and get in the A/C and work on getting my sugar back under control. NOT! At the time I didn't think I was that bad off but I was. My friends wife drove me home on the 4th and my friend road my motorcycle back home on the 5th. It's amazing how easy it is to get out of a routine with my diabetes. Lesson learned!

Back to work!!!

Got the laminated beam glued and nailed together. Built the walls for the beam to sit on. Laid off the the top plate for the truss system. Straightened the walls. Got the house wrap put on. Nailed the hangers to the trusses. Had more material delivered. Also a guy form the brick company came out and said that my brick that is on my house has been discontinued. I wouldn't have any other way bro! lol He said however that he has a brick that will match nicely.

I was going with a 7' foot garage door but changed my mind for a 8' door. I got a price on both and the 8' is only $250 more. I think I will like it better because it will match my exiting house garage door better. Same amount of brick over the door another words. Let me tell you....... the price for a double insulated garage door isn't cheap by no means!!!!! The price for the door installed and working is right at $3000. Geezz if I'm going to be spending that much might as well spring $250 for the 8' door instead of the 7 foot.

The crane and a friend of mine will be here Friday around 11am to install the trusses. Then the fun begins.

Attachments

• DSC03073.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 764
  • Tyvek 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 751
  • Tyvek1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 754
  • Truss.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 763
  • Beam.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 766
Really nice work going on there mully :thumbup:. Sorry to hear about the health issue and dropping your bike. Glad you had some friends to ride home with.

Just wondering about 3K for a garage door :scratch:. That sounds way out of line. I'd shop it more if it was me. What kind of opener are they including? Check out the Liftmaster 3800 opener.....It's a wall mounted unit instead of on the ceiling. Saves space for your lift :smile:

Watching this thread is really making me want to go to the bank
Looking Geeerrrrtae mullin :thumleft::thumleft:
I can't wait for the shop opening party :thumbup:

Just wondering about 3K for a garage door :scratch:. That sounds way out of line. I'd shop it more if it was me.

I haven't shopped around yet. I called the main overhead door company here in town just to find out the price difference in a 7' versus a 8' door. They are less than a mile from my house. If I have any trouble with my door I shouldn't have to wait long until it gets fixed. lol I don't think that would be a obvious reason to purchase from them but just a little something to think about.

What kind of opener are they including? Check out the Liftmaster 3800 opener.....It's a wall mounted unit instead of on the ceiling. Saves space for your lift :smile:

He and I never got that far on the phone, but I will keep that in mind. See when a 20' door is used they can't center the opener in the center of the door. It has to go to the right or left so it will hit on the stronger structural frame of the door. In my case away from the lift area.

I'll have to check prices in on the Liftmaster 3800. It's a direct drive instead of screw, chain, and belt drive. That seems it would be less problematic.

http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerweb/products/pflResidentialJackshaft.htm

Keep chiming in 6pk.... ideas and news of items is helpful. Thanks.

Watching this thread is really making me want to go to the bank
Looking Geeerrrrtae mullin :thumleft::thumleft:
I can't wait for the shop opening party :thumbup:

I'm doing as much of the work as possible in order to keep the cost down. At the moment I have $5125 invested. The brick (optional) and the garage door is what's going to cost me. The shingles, wire, service panel, cooper plumbing (optional) , concrete inside the shop, concrete for the drive way(optional), entrance door, heat and a/c unit (optional) will come later.

Mike it depends on what size you're after and what you want far as veneer, heat and cooling, etc... but I think you get it done for around $12,000. That is of course you, family members, or both do most of the work.

very nice shop your biulding.and you will be glad you went with a duble insalated door I know I spent alot of money on insalation and now im glad I did it takes very little to heat and in the summer if you keep the doors shut it stays cool in ther all day.I have one celing fan and it will stay around 70 all day............Artie

very nice shop your biulding.and you will be glad you went with a duble insalated door I know I spent alot of money on insalation and now im glad I did it takes very little to heat and in the summer if you keep the doors shut it stays cool in ther all day.I have one celing fan and it will stay around 70 all day............Artie

That's my goal.

Thanks Artie

Sorry to hear about the health issues but also glad to hear that you had back up. Good friends can be an invaluble resource.

Looking great Marland! In my hood I'd have to protect that cool new shop with razor wire.

Sorry to hear about the health issues but also glad to hear that you had back up. Good friends can be an invaluble resource.

Looking great Marland! In my hood I'd have to protect that cool new shop with razor wire.

I'm thinking of having a camera mounted so I can see who it is when they pull up in the drive way. I might be disappointed with myself later not having any windows but in my other garage I never looked out them. The shades always stayed closed. I aiming to keep the shop as energy efficient as possible and don't want anyone peeping through the windows at my meth lab and liquor still.:joker:

Looking good Mulli, your gonna love that shop when your done.
Been luvin mine since 93. You can always frame out for windows and just side over them and install later? what I did. It`s nice to have a cross breeze in nice weather, that way you can keep the main door shut to keep out peering eyes, when your working on cars/still/meth, lol!
With an exhaust fan in one window, it helps to rid of weld smoke/dust etc.
they can be installed high and painted out for peepers, and it dont take much to fab up bars for thieft deturrent.
Crane? real men would pull those rafters up with rope! lol jes kidden.
enjoy:clock:

Looking good Mulli, your gonna love that shop when your done.
Been luvin mine since 93. You can always frame out for windows and just side over them and install later? what I did. It`s nice to have a cross breeze in nice weather, that way you can keep the main door shut to keep out peering eyes, when your working on cars/still/meth, lol!
With an exhaust fan in one window, it helps to rid of weld smoke/dust etc.
they can be installed high and painted out for peepers, and it dont take much to fab up bars for thieft deturrent.
Crane? real men would pull those rafters up with rope! lol jes kidden.
enjoy:clock:

I would frame for them but I'm going to have brick so I would really have to make my mind up now. You got me thinking... if I do go with windows they would be the ones up high. I like the idea of having nothing to have to keep clean. I clean enough glass where I work to last me a life time.

Big day tomorrow..... crane is coming to set the trusses.

If you can place windows up high on the North side of your garage, you'll get the benefit of natural light without any direct sun. It's nice to be able to walk in, grab something and not have to turn on the lights.

Awesome job you're doing !!! Gonna pay off in the end !!I've got a 3 car garage and running out of space.Fortunately for me, the house next door went into foreclosure and sat empty for over a year.A bunch of contracts,but for whatever reason they fell through.Needless to say we picked up the house for a very reasonable price,and moved my daughter into it.3 car attached and 2 car detached !Bet you'll never guess who appropriated the 2 car ?? Just got through adding insulation to the ceiling and drywalling and painting it.Next will be staining the floor and I'll be ready to relocate a lot of stuff !!!No room for a lift,but I'll survive !!

If you can place windows up high on the North side of your garage, you'll get the benefit of natural light without any direct sun. It's nice to be able to walk in, grab something and not have to turn on the lights.

How lucky? The garage door wall faces North.... lol
I am thinking about having a glass storm door on the 3/0 entrance door. Like those nice storm doors you see on front of houses w/ nice brass hardware. I might even install a "night light" of some nature so when I walk in I can cut it on instead of all the ceiling lights. I am going to divide the ceiling lights up and have two switches instead of just one.

Awesome job you're doing !!! Gonna pay off in the end !!I've got a 3 car garage and running out of space.Fortunately for me, the house next door went into foreclosure and sat empty for over a year.A bunch of contracts,but for whatever reason they fell through.Needless to say we picked up the house for a very reasonable price,and moved my daughter into it.3 car attached and 2 car detached !Bet you'll never guess who appropriated the 2 car ?? Just got through adding insulation to the ceiling and drywalling and painting it.Next will be staining the floor and I'll be ready to relocate a lot of stuff !!!No room for a lift,but I'll survive !!

Thanks. I can't wait until I can just pull into my attached garage and not worry about hitting anything, opening the truck door on something, walking sideways. lol

I'm thinking of having a camera mounted so I can see who it is when they pull up in the drive way. I might be disappointed with myself later not having any windows but in my other garage I never looked out them. The shades always stayed closed. I aiming to keep the shop as energy efficient as possible and don't want anyone peeping through the windows at my meth lab and liquor still.:joker:

LMAO! A camera is a great idea and I don't know if you'd heard of these things but they install in the roof and pipe light in from the outside. They use a flexible internally reflective tube and since they are small, there is no entry for theft like with a skylight. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...catalogId=10053&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125

A friend has these in her "nail salon" and they are actually brighter than than the inset lights.

LMAO! A camera is a great idea and I don't know if you'd heard of these things but they install in the roof and pipe light in from the outside. They use a flexible internally reflective tube and since they are small, there is no entry for theft like with a skylight. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...catalogId=10053&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125

A friend has these in her "nail salon" and they are actually brighter than than the inset lights.

I like that thought. I need at least one of those in the back would be nice near the work bench. I see that they are 48" long so I would have to plan it out where I need it.

Crane came and we had the beam and trusses set in a shade less than two hours.

POSSIBLE MAJOR SET BACK!

Friend and I was working away straightening the garage door beam. I was coming down the ladder and as I stepped off my right foot step over in the footing area instead on the level ground. I feel backwards and hit the ground after I twisted the S*** out of my ankle! I got up, my friend asked me if I was alright and I said "Water break!" kind of loudly. We both went at sat down for a little while. Then worked for another hour. My ankle wasn't bothering me while I was working but now it is swelled up and hurting pretty good. I supposed to work tomorrow on the shop but I don't know how my ankle will be in the morning. I got it elevated right now.

Anyways here is what we got accomplished today.

Attachments

• DSC03078.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 642
  • DSC03077.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 646
  • DSC03076.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 648
  • DSC03075.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 648
  • DSC03074.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 655
I like that thought. I need at least one of those in the back would be nice near the work bench. I see that they are 48" long so I would have to plan it out where I need it.

Crane came and we had the beam and trusses set in a shade less than two hours.

POSSIBLE MAJOR SET BACK!

Friend and I was working away straightening the garage door beam. I was coming down the ladder and as I stepped off my right foot step over in the footing area instead on the level ground. I feel backwards and hit the ground after I twisted the S*** out of my ankle! I got up, my friend asked me if I was alright and I said "Water break!" kind of loudly. We both went at sat down for a little while. Then worked for another hour. My ankle wasn't bothering me while I was working but now it is swelled up and hurting pretty good. I supposed to work tomorrow on the shop but I don't know how my ankle will be in the morning. I got it elevated right now.

Anyways here is what we got accomplished today.

Great progress but sorry to hear about your ankle, what a bummer. You just may have to slow down a bit and let that ankle heal.

I think there may be extension tubes for those skylights. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Great progress but sorry to hear about your ankle, what a bummer. You just may have to slow down a bit and let that ankle heal.

I think there may be extension tubes for those skylights. Just thought I'd put that out there.

I know... the pain is getting worse ....you might be right. ](*,)

Oh I've wanting to tell you that I sold the 96 ZX600. A fellow came buy who heard I had it and he wanted it. He's has one already and basically going to put the skins off his on mine. He got a good buy that's for sure.

Making great progress =D>
keep that ankle up and ice it down when you can, I know what you mean about staying busy so the pain stays away :neutral:
But you sound like you will take care of it and move forward another day
That is a cool light source ramcharger, never seen one till know.
I got tagged by a wasp yesterday and my right ear is bigger then my left
Hurt like hell for about 15 minutes :happy8:.
Take care and congratulations, I can see your car in there already :smilebox:

I got tagged by a wasp yesterday and my right ear is bigger then my left
Hurt like hell for about 15 minutes :happy8:.
Take care and congratulations, I can see your car in there already :smilebox:

I bet that did hurt.... geeezzzz

I went got some ice when you said to ice it down. It feels better already. I was thinking that it needs as soon as it happened not hours later. Heck... I've never been good at stuff like that.

Thanks.

I have been working on the shop but if you look at it there doesn't seem like much progress.

The top picture is without the king jacks installed and the second is with them. Not the straightest work but it will do. A string is needed pulled from the very top (ridge) to the bottom of the(king)to keep the king jacks straight. It looks simple but its not that easy believe me.

I had to do this a total of FOUR times! My friend was the saw man I believe he has pulled every hair out of head and said words I have never heard before. :mumum:

Then there is blocking to left of the hip that I had to install. Keep comparing the two pictures and you will see it. The blocking of this nature I had to do twice.

Attachments

• King 2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 622
  • King 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 635
A little bit of plywood got nailed up today. I did this by myself since my friend had to go get some sleep today at 2:00 pm. He has to work tonight. A little bit of fascia has been installed as well.

Attachments

• DSC03100.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 615
  • DSC03101.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 622
  • DSC03098.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 612
  • DSC03096.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 614
  • DSC03092.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 610
  • DSC03095.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 619
  • DSC03103.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 627
Progress pics look great....You have got to be waaaayyyy stoked :colors:

Just wondering when does the slab get poured? It's the first thing done here in AZ for any type of structure. There must be a reason it's so different where you live. I think Tony Field's garage build was the same way IIRC :scratch:

-
Back