My New Shop!! Yiippeee!

-
I just found this thread. You're doing a great job.

Thanks

Ive been wanting a shop like this for awhile. I have a friend who has a cuda, and dart. I went over to look at a larger core radiator he had. We walked out to his garage in blistering heat and walked inside. Frickn cold air smacked me in the face, the stereo was on a classic rock station, nice work bench, and a beautiful 67 Dart sitting being put back together. He has central heat as well for the winter time. That signed the deal with me. lol

Thanks

Ive been wanting a shop like this for awhile. I have a friend who has a cuda, and dart. I went over to look at a larger core radiator he had. We walked out to his garage in blistering heat and walked inside. Frickn cold air smacked me in the face, the stereo was on a classic rock station, nice work bench, and a beautiful 67 Dart sitting being put back together. He has central heat as well for the winter time. That signed the deal with me. lol

That is my dream garage.

That is my dream garage.

I know what you mean.

Just today my boss is figuring out a way to have A/C in his shop area (not where I work of course) so he can stay cool. I think this heat wave we are having is making people go the extra cost just to get relief. He has been putting off it for years but it has just gotten unbelievably hot this year.

Good year to be in the HVAC business!

Sorry to hear about your ankle Marland, it sounds like it really took a twist.

I used to work concrete back in the day and we used a big heavy solid steel pole with what looks a heavy chisel on the end. It would make short work (although not easy work) of that concrete you are trying to bust up. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me though.

Good year to be in the HVAC business!

Sorry to hear about your ankle Marland, it sounds like it really took a twist.

I used to work concrete back in the day and we used a big heavy solid steel pole with what looks a heavy chisel on the end. It would make short work (although not easy work) of that concrete you are trying to bust up. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me though.

I know the name of it "heavy *** jack hammer"LOL

Did it have a round packing head on the other end?

I have been doing some thinking and if for some reason I need a bobcat out here to move some dirt around for the form boards for the concrete then I will just let him bust it up for me.

I know the name of it "heavy *** jack hammer"LOL

Did it have a round packing head on the other end?

I have been doing some thinking and if for some reason I need a bobcat out here to move some dirt around for the form boards for the concrete then I will just let him bust it up for me.

it looks kind like a spud bar that has the tamper head on one end but much more heavy duty. It's about 6'+ long and the chisel on the bottom was about 3 or 4 square inches around took up maybe 2' of the entire tool. I would say that it had to weigh about 30-40 lbs.

My boss would follow another guy and I in the front end loader while we took turns "breaking or tossing". Fun way to make a living. I never slept so hard in my life. Apparently we were cheaper than a jackhammer and compressor.

Yeah I know what you're talking about.
The rental places have 90 lb jack hammers that are electric.... I've got that in the back of my mind if needed.

The brick mason showed up this morning to set up for a good start tomorrow.

On my part I haven't worked much on the shop because its been too dang hot to get anything done! I have pulled some wire to the light boxes on each side of the garage door and one beside the entrance door. I also bought and installed the entrance door as well and stubbed out a water spigot on the back. I had to special order a 21 ft brick lentil to go across the garage door. They delivered it today. Im going to wait until the brick mason gets his scaffolding up before I mount it to the laminated beam over the door. I don't believe its going to be the lightest thing in the world to get up there. Other than the brick lentil the brick mason can go to work without me being in the way.

The entrance door is a fiber glass type door and is better than the steel type doors. The steel type doors are bad about getting dents in them. I've been on job sites where the steel doors have dents in them before they are even installed! The fiber glass type is more expensive but supposed to be more energy efficient.

The ELK/GAF architectural shingles are on the job ready to be installed but the roofer (me) is not quite ready to tackle the job. lol
I'm going to borrow a roofing gun to hook to my air compressor but have not made it up to my friends house to borrow it. I believe that will make the job a little easier.

I've been looking at floor coverings and pretty much found a nice product that I can do myself. Its called Rock Solid. I really like the "Full chip" look.

https://www.rocksolidfloors.com/

Here is how its applied:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq-mCNRkbZo&feature=player_embedded"]Sam Memmolo's Garage Build Out featuring RockSolid Floors - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• DSC03150.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 574
  • DSC03159.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 573
  • DSC03157.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 563
  • DSC03158.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 563
  • DSC03154.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 566
  • DSC03153.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 616
  • DSC03152.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 596
  • DSC03151.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 574
I like the Rock Solid floor coating. Your Garage is coming along nicely.

I like the Rock Solid floor coating.

It seems to be a great product since a consumer can put it down and not a floor contractor. Most of the time the "good stuff" you usually have to pay someone to put it down. Rock Solid supposed to be 20x stronger than exposy. It's not cheap by no means so I guess that's where the quality comes in. lol

The main thing I need to do is after the concrete is poured in the shop is to keep it clean so I wont have any problems with the floor coating to adhere to the concrete.

Your Garage is coming along nicely.

I believe if it was cooler I would have more done but that's the way it goes sometimes. When a person is taking more breaks (because of the heat) than getting any work done then its time to stop. disgust

The brick mason is coming along fairly well. I noticed that the brick is making the shop look wider which is good. It looked smaller than what I expected up to this point.
I got some shingles on also. I tell you what .... roofers job is secure! lol
My neighbor saw me working on the roof and toting shingles up the ladder. I guess he felt sorry for me and came over toted packs of shingles up the ladder for me. Then he got up and handed me shingles as I nailed with the nail gun. He is a good fellow!!

The small hole in the wall is where the heat and air will go.

Attachments

• ee.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 543
  • dd.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 558
  • cc.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 562
  • bb.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 545
  • aa.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 548
Looks Great Marland. When is the finish date?

I don't have a exact finish date. I'm the foreman, owner, contractor so it's whenever I get ready. I need to talk to the county codes however and make sure how long I can let it drag out. Ive been told there is a guy here in Anderson that has had a building permit for 13yrs!!! Needless to say the build codes commission is not happy with him. lol

Had the garage back filled yesterday and concrete removed. I cut my existing concrete drive way with a skill saw and a masonry blade. It was all I had at the time but I don't believe it would have did any good to have the biggest saw I could get. The concrete was 9.5" in areas. I asked the guy who was running the bob cat if he had ever seen a driveway poured that thick? He of course said "NO!" Most of the time he spent breaking up the concrete. He went and got his "jack hammer" that fits his bob cat and the concrete was laughing at it!!

Anyways starting to look good now. I am thankful there is level ground in the shop so now I can do wiring and plumbing without falling off the ladder. Got my shingles on and finished.

Attachments

• DSC03184.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 504
  • DSC03188.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC03186.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 537
Just found this thread. Nice garage Mulli. I see you didn't use windows on the bottom floor, but do you have a way to ventilate for when the fumes build up? We don't want you to suffocate on some of the fumes that accumulate when building cars. Brake cleaner, carb cleaner, paint, gas, etc...

Looks great! Love the bricks. You definately heard and learned your lesson from the three little pigs...

Just found this thread. Nice garage Mulli. I see you didn't use windows on the bottom floor, but do you have a way to ventilate for when the fumes build up? We don't want you to suffocate on some of the fumes that accumulate when building cars. Brake cleaner, carb cleaner, paint, gas, etc...

Looks great! Love the bricks. You definately heard and learned your lesson from the three little pigs...

Thank you very much.

I decided not to have windows. I have them in my attached garage and they are dirty already from remolding it last year. I haven't even did any work in there to make them dirty. Bugs will get behind the blinds, the seals collect dust, the blinds collect dust, the window glass gets dirty, loss of R-value, thieves may enter, is that enough yet? LOL

I have seriously thought and thought about it and the verdict came down to no windows. I am going to have some type of vent fan or ceiling fan. The ceiling fan would have more CFM but fumes being sucked into the attic is my concern. A vent fan would be great but it would have be pretty nice size vent fan. I don't do a ton of painting, welding, but I do alot of sanding, cutting wood, metal polishing etc... Also with air being sucked out there has to be air coming in from somewhere. So I guess that would mean to crack the garage door or install a storm door with a screen in which I don't like screens.

Any advise would be helpful.

Thank you very much.

So I guess that would mean to crack the garage door or install a storm door with a screen in which I don't like screens.

Any advise would be helpful.
Why not get a security door? You know the kind that people have on their front doors.

Everything is looking great brother Marland. Keep up the good work. MMG

Thanks brother Christopher! lol
It's starting to take shape.

Why not get a security door? You know the kind that people have on their front doors.

Oh man that doesn't sound like a bad idea. It would let air in that's for sure. I will keep that in mind.

Wow.. brick yet. That's a pretty classy looking joint there. :)

Grant

Brick isn't the cheapest thing in the world to use but it's "there" and don't have to paint it, watch it fade, or become brittle like vinyl siding. Vinyl siding is about the worst exterior covering to use. That's why hardy board is starting to be used more often than vinyl. Painting of hardy board is required but at least it wont crack and deteriorate.

-
Back