My New Shop!! Yiippeee!

-
Very cool to see the progress.

I want a shop really bad, but our property doesnt lend itself for that.

I settled (for now) for a 10x20 garage tent with plastic sheet and then t&g OSB laid down for the floor.

Had it up for almost 3 years now and I love the extra space......though its used for storing one of my toys and parts for the others....LOL

Like someone else said...too big is never big enough.....always find crap to fill it.

Anyways, really enjoyed reading this thread! Looking great!

Very cool to see the progress.

Like someone else said...too big is never big enough.....always find crap to fill it.

Anyways, really enjoyed reading this thread! Looking great!

I wanted to create just that... a progress thread. I can come back to or could maybe put throw some ideas out on the table for someone building a shop.

congrats... very nice MAN HOUSE! forget cave...

That's funny

Very nice, I wish i had the room. I always wanted to take on the challenge of building my own shop.

I've had the room but never took the challenge. It was always in my head "One of these days". I started loosing room when I bought my motorcycle. I believe that was the final straw. I done buying stuff!!

Looking for some type of exhaust fan for my shop. I would like something that is mounted in the ceiling and has shutters so the heat or air will stay in the shop. Can someone tell me why these fans are so dang high!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Inch-Bel...529?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e61cb6cf1

It's just a stupid fan for crying out loud!! lol

a Attic Fan for houses. My Grandmother would turn hers on and it was like AC in her house she pulled air through every window.

a Attic Fan for houses. My Grandmother would turn hers on and it was like AC in her house she pulled air through every window.

Oh yeah... I spent a lot of nights sleeping with the windows up with the attic fan going. Dad would wait until it got miserably hot before he would cut the AC on.

I just cant believe the prices of those things. There are some for $600... I can double that and buy the heat and air system for the whole shop. :protest:

Oh yeah... I spent a lot of nights sleeping with the windows up with the attic fan going. Dad would wait until it got miserably hot before he would cut the AC on.

I just cant believe the prices of those things. There are some for $600... I can double that and buy the heat and air system for the whole shop. :protest:

Look around habitat for humanity they have outlet stores and older houses that are being torn down. I miss Lancaster but there is no work there.

I put one of this in my old horse barn shop and it worked well.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

In my new business location,I took a 10 ton a/c compressor fan housing and shroud to install a drum fan.The only reason I did not mount the used a/c condenser fan was because it was 220 volts and I have no more available power in my fuse panel.
Maybe an a/c guy would have one they removed from a business or large home.Just a thought.
TXDart

Attachments

• DSCN0821.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 512
  • DSCN0822.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 523
  • DSCN0823.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 514
  • DSCN0825.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 510
From doing a little research the air should be changed in the room 8 times in 1 hour. This ratio is for a healthy air circulation. Also a raito of 1 CFM to 100 SQ FT would give the 8 times an hr.

TXDart... that link goes to a solar powered roof vent fan. I assume the link was suppose to be for the orange fan pictured?

I have used a USED squirrel cage fan from an a/c unit, in your case a 1 to a 2 tun unit would move all the air out if you need to clear fumes out.
Just mount it up in your ceiling rafters and out a roof top vent.
Our set it out side on the ground and cover with a small dog house,
all it will need is a 18''X6'' hole and these fans move a tun of air quietly and efficiently
These can be found used from a/c units that compressors or heat chambers have burnt out, I have never had to pay for one.
I mounted mine 3 tun squirrel cage about 5' off the floor in my 16 by 24 shop to paint and if I cleaned it out I would use a blower everywhere and it sucked all the air born dust out . Just a thought, or you can put an electric attic exhaust fan in Like they do in homes to remove heat.

I have used a USED squirrel cage fan from an a/c unit, in your case a 1 to a 2 tun unit would move all the air out if you need to clear fumes out.
Just mount it up in your ceiling rafters and out a roof top vent.
Our set it out side on the ground and cover with a small dog house,
all it will need is a 18''X6'' hole and these pans move a tun of air quietly and efficiently
These can be found used from a/c units that compressors or heat chambers have burnt out, I have never had to pay for one.
I mounted mine 3 tun squirrel cage about 5' off the floor in my 16 by 24 shop to paint and if I cleaned it out I would use a blower everywhere and it sucked all the air born dust out . Just a thought, or you can put an electric attic exhaust fan in.

I've been thinking of doing something like that Mike. A lot of things have ran through my mind. The biggest issue is heat/air loss with a hole through the ceiling. I can take care of that however with a louver door. I can get 2 bathroom exhaust fans that will supply enough CFM and run piping to the boxing. It will blow the fumes, air out the perforated soffet. I think I am going to hard wire a switch and power lead then worry about it later.

Been wiring the shop. Sub panel is in and already "hot". I pulled the 2/2/2/4 wire from the breaker panel in the house to the panel in the shop ALL BY MYSELF. ](*,) Breaker is off however for now. TV and TV cable are ready. :happy1: Mounted a 2 x 10 to give me something to mount the TV mount to.

Ordered the ac/heat pump GE model 6100 series also called the concrete finisher today. We're playing phone tag.... I hate that when that happens.

Attachments

• Tv area.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 490
  • z3.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 475
  • z1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 483
  • Sub Panel.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 489
From doing a little research the air should be changed in the room 8 times in 1 hour. This ratio is for a healthy air circulation. Also a raito of 1 CFM to 100 SQ FT would give the 8 times an hr.

TXDart... that link goes to a solar powered roof vent fan. I assume the link was suppose to be for the orange fan pictured?
No the solar power one was what I used at the old shop.
The orange onw is a Medium size drum fan that came with wheels to roll around the shop as a shop fan,I just mounted to the wall using the fan shroud and metal panel off a ten ton a/c unit.
It works but the small roof vent probably has more cfm....And a pair of them would work nice in that garage.
Martin

Moving forward Mullin :hello2: and looking great :happy1:.
One day soon I will have a thread on this same subject :cheers:

Progress looks outstanding mully!! You have to be so damn stoked :toothy9:. Only thing I can add is that you may want to mark your "special" mounting boards with chalk showing the dimensions from the ceiling and/or left to right. Take some add'l pics to help you locate them once the drywall is up and covering them.

Attachments

• Garage Build Locater 047.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 468
No the solar power one was what I used at the old shop.
The orange onw is a Medium size drum fan that came with wheels to roll around the shop as a shop fan,I just mounted to the wall using the fan shroud and metal panel off a ten ton a/c unit.
It works but the small roof vent probably has more cfm....And a pair of them would work nice in that garage.
Martin

What I'm after is a fan that will just about suck the floor off the ground and blow it into the attic! lol

So the air will be free of fumes, exhaust, stuff like that immediately and after a few minutes I will shut the fan off. So it needs to be pretty power with a lot CFM. A whole house fan would be nice but I didn't realize how expensive they are. Everything I have purchased up to this point hasn't been the cheapest in the world but I can understand the cost. But $500 and more for one of those fans is NOT understandable.

Moving forward Mullin :hello2: and looking great :happy1:.
One day soon I will have a thread on this same subject :cheers:

Looking forward to that Mike. Every man needs a good roomy shop. I go into my over crowded existing garage and knock something over, trip over something I think "Just a little bit longer, just a little bit longer,etc!" LOL

Progress looks outstanding mully!! You have to be so damn stoked :toothy9:. Only thing I can add is that you may want to mark your "special" mounting boards with chalk showing the dimensions from the ceiling and/or left to right. Take some add'l pics to help you locate them once the drywall is up and covering them.

Yeah I usually write it down or just keep in locked in my head. I have a few more that I need to install and I will write it all down before the sheet rock goes up. I think that I might get turn down on the inspection now looking at your periling blocks. I installed mine "top, bottom,top,bottom" instead of same height. I did that so I could nail each block through the ends... easier!
I guess I will find out eventually. I have a bunch of stapling of my electrical wires to do also to the studs.

X2, ever been to Seattle?

Sure haven't.

Won't be working on the shop this weekend... going to Bryon, GA to help build the ramp for Bruce. Leaving out today.

Well I just get things done like wanted here lately. But I do have some good news. The first quote I got for the double insulated garage door, with opener, installed and working was 3000 dollars. I just so happen to know the owner of the business (not the same one that I talked to over the phone) and saw him at a local restaurant. I had thought he had retired years ago so I didn't think he could "help" me out. He is the owner of the business. His name is Wayne. I asked him did he remember me and said yes he did. My dad was a residential home builder for years before his passing away. My dad used the Wayne's overhead door company on all the homes he built that had garage doors. Anyways I told him that I needed one for my new shop and he said he would get back with me. But before he left the restaurant we talked about deer hunting, economy, and how my father liked the garage doors he installed. Wayne told me that he never had a problem installing garage doors for my dad. Well later on in the day Waynes sales rep called me and gave me a price again with Wayne telling his rep to "take care of him". I mean that's what the rep was told by Wayne. He going to let me have the door now for $2100!!!!!! $900 difference.

Anyways that was great news for me to hear. I was sweating the $3000... man that was just to hard for me to swallow. That's all I got this week so far.

Trying to get the driveway and sidewalk ready to pour. I've decided to go with a 6" pour instead of 4" in the shop so I don't have to worry about it down the road. It will also have wire mesh enforcement as well. Lift or no lift it will be thick enough. Counting the driveway, sidewalks, and driveway it is going to be a lot of concrete. :eek:ops:

I am going to love having a sidewalk coming off of the porch. The only thing I had was stepping stones and sometimes at night those was difficult to negotiate. The exterior shop lights beside the entrance door and garage doors will have a dust to dawn light that comes on as soon as it gets dark. It stays on at different time intervals. I set it to what I like the best. The light does not use full power until it since movement then it flips to full power.

Made up the wires in the sub panel. If anyone sees anything wrong let me know BEFORE I call the inspector. The grounds have been separated from the neutrals so I think I've got it whipped. I drove the ground rod today for the sub panel. Friend of mine told me to put a washer on the end of the ground rod that goes into the ground. The washer mushrooms out and basically helps force the dirt away from the rod. I have never heard of that before but I gave it a go. That rod drove in the ground like it was nothing!!!!!!!!!:cheers: I was sweating about driving that thing in the ground but geezzz it was cake.

Hows it look to you memike?? You're the pre inspector you know!!??

Attachments

• DSC03215.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC03220.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC03224.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC03227.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 441
  • DSC03236.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 439
Yep, a looooooooot of concrete

Lookin good buddy!

Thanks Tony
At times it seems like everything I do is overkill but I'm seriously not trying make it that way. You've heard someone say "Well if I'm going to do that I might as well do this".... that's me. lol

Thanks Tony
At times it seems like everything I do is overkill but I'm seriously not trying make it that way. You've heard someone say "Well if I'm going to do that I might as well do this".... that's me. lol

I agree Marland. That way you don't have to say I wish I would have done that.

And on the other side, you don't have to mow it or trim it.:iconbigg:

It's great to see your moving forward this morning Mullin :cheers::coffee2:
One thing I have seen many times is people don't let concrete cure long enough before driving a car on it, I will try and locate cure time for you today, You will be surprised how long it needs to cure It's been a few years but I told my friend do not pull his car on an outside slab we poured for at lest 20 to 30 days he waited about 7 days and I seen his car setting on his slab washing his car, about 5 months later he had two cracks exactly were is wheel base was.
He did live in a flat land area and the soil is not rock hard even though we did us wire and dug small footings he just could not wait to pull his firebird on the slab and he said heck it's just a wash and shine area :coffee2:
Concrete stays green longer then some people realize :iconbigg:
Sure you can walk on it :iconbigg: But putting 1.100 lbs in 4 1 square foot area will do damage and it won't be seen for a few months.
You may want to call your bash plant that is delivering you concrete what the cure time is for a 4 to 6'' slab at the temperature of the pour date.
That's going to look and be very nice when it is pored :cheers:

I am sure you will be advised but here is what I wanted you to know

A concrete driveway may be walkable in a few hours, but it is not cured sufficiently to bear the weight of a vehicle. A minimum of three days initial curing, and a full week in some climates, will allow most concrete mixes to achieve 75 percent of the concrete's ultimate strength. Usually, you can drive your car on the driveway at this point, but consult your concrete contractor or ready mix supplier first. Though curing actually continues for years, a concrete driveway achieves 90 percent of it's final compression strength in 28 days.

Read more: How Long to Cure a Concrete Drive | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4694501_how-long-cure-concrete-drive.html#ixzz1ZT0xCG9j

-
Back