My New Shop!! Yiippeee!

-
Progress pics look great....You have got to be waaaayyyy stoked :colors:

Just wondering when does the slab get poured? It's the first thing done here in AZ for any type of structure. There must be a reason it's so different where you live. I think Tony Field's garage build was the same way IIRC :scratch:

You are correct C

Foundation, then slab with an expansion joint all the way around.

Looking great Marland!

Progress pics look great....You have got to be waaaayyyy stoked :colors:

Just wondering when does the slab get poured? It's the first thing done here in AZ for any type of structure. There must be a reason it's so different where you live. I think Tony Field's garage build was the same way IIRC :scratch:

It's really according to what type of pour you're talking about. If is a turn down slab and has plumbing and electrical coming up through the concrete then the plumbing/electrical has to be inspected before the pour. The reason behind that is everything is under the concrete and they want to see how it ran, water or air must be applied to the water lines to show that they don't leak. After the inspection it is OK to cover the pipes, elec conduit with dirt. Turn down slabs has the walls sitting on the slab so yes it HAS to be poured first. In my case I'm using a curtain wall of block so inspection is not necessary at this moment. I have to show a termite letter, have all wiring roughed in with service panel, water has to be connected with psi/ or water on it, slab poured, brick completed, and all windows, doors, garage door has to be up, and shingled. "In the dry" another words.

Tell you truth I really want the pour to the last thing. I want to keep the concrete clean as possible so the floor exposy man won't have in troubles with mud, dirt, dust, oil on the floor.

That project is really coming along nicely. Come build me a shop!!!!!!!!! :) :)

I wouldn't mind doing for you. Where are you located?

Nice job Marland, but it's too small!!!LOL!!! Gotta be at least 200'x400' with 27' sidewalls!!! Even then, you'll wonder why you didn't make it bigger!!! One look at my 28x36 should be proof of that. AND, Nella's van is supposed to be parking in here also!!! YIKES!!! Keep up the good work, looks like you need it!! Geof

Geof I just noticed I over looked your post.

That shop you have looks nice.... roomy with dormers even.

Yeah my shop is already to small. The things that I will have in my head that is going to be in there is already eating space up. Oh well as long as I have my work bench in the back with a vice I will definitely be happy. Im tired of working off the floor, then I moved up to saw horses so I could fold them up and put them out of the way, and now once I get my shop done I will have stainless wrapped work bench. Unless I see something different until then to use as work bench material.

It was 101 degrees here today. I don't know what the heat factor was but it was enough to the nail apron hanging up. Maybe it will cool down soon. Yeah right ..lol...

Looking good Mully!Are you going with a metal roof or shingles?

Well in order to match my house it is going to be shingled. I just had my house shingled less than 2 yrs ago. Matter a fact I had to special order the shingles today and supposed to have them on the job site Aug 6th. The shingles already on my house and going on my shop are GAF 30yr Timberline High Definition. The color is Charcoal. I plan on doing it by myself since it is only 17 sq and one 4' ridge vent.

Finding the shingles was a PITA,,, and on top of that I had a shingle/roofing sales place tell me I needed 26 sqs. HomeDepot said I needed 17.5 sqs. I asked the guy "Are you sure that's not bundles?" He said "No that's squares!" The folks at HomeDepot got a big kick out of that.

Oh well............ I've got to go finish a side job that I started awhile back tomorrow. At least I will be working in the A/C!

I keep showing this to my wife and it is working :love4: Looking great :happy7:
I was the man on the ground building my cottage on the hill and I must have pulled every hair out :blackeye: That explains why I am shinny on top:toothy7:

Almost time to order your lift. What kind of siding are you going to use?

Shoot if I had the money you got I would have lift delivered as soon as possible. lol

I'm going to prep the concrete for a four post lift (6'' pour in those areas) and soon as I feel comfortable that I can afford it I will pursue it.

The shop is going to have brick so it will match the house.

I keep showing this to my wife and it is working :love4: Looking great :happy7:
I was the man on the ground building my cottage on the hill and I must have pulled every hair out :blackeye: That explains why I am shinny on top:toothy7:

I know that there is two things a man needs a tractor and a shop. Just wished I had a tractor before I started the shop. lol

The funny angled blocking in the roof system is over think goodness. I have two sides sheeted in plywood and over half on one side. One more side after that then I will run the felt paper.

Hey Mully and Tony, Thanks for the education on the slab build. It's a bit different here I guess.

I bought a couple of workbenches from an old Mopar dealer that closed and had them powdered in Hammertone Silver for $80 a piece. I love old school stuff :yawinkle:. This bench is from the late 50's I think. Sorry, I don't have any before pics....but it was fugly LOL

Attachments

• Garage Build Benches 003.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 587
My wife and I built our garage about 4 years ago and I still complain that it's too small.....LOL But in the end, you're right about just having a spot for your car and a workbench with a vise on it. Here is a pic of our finished garage.....24 x 24.

DSC01264.jpg

I bought a couple of workbenches from an old Mopar dealer that closed and had them powdered in Hammertone Silver for $80 a piece. I love old school stuff :yawinkle:. This bench is from the late 50's I think. Sorry, I don't have any before pics....but it was fugly LOL

I really like that bench and you did a most excellent job of choosing a color. I haven't had time to browse the internet for work benches but I think I want something that is not permanently affixed to the wall or floor. That is why I really like that bench you have C. When you get a chance measure the height of it and let me know what it is. That is a true work bench so it is built the appropriate height. I'm guessing 36" from the floor... lol I like the idea of the rolled up sides and back so when stuff goes a flying it will stay on the bench top. I really like the idea of having a stainless top so I would never have to paint it or worry about scratching it, denting it etc... It would have to have wood underneath it. What is a sheet of stainless cost you guess??

My wife and I built our garage about 4 years ago and I still complain that it's too small.....LOL But in the end, you're right about just having a spot for your car and a workbench with a vise on it. Here is a pic of our finished garage.....24 x 24.

You have a gable roof on your garage so you could always add on to the back.

When I say I was tired of working on the floor I really meant I was working on the floor. Anything I work on lately however I fold out the saw horses but until I bought those saw horses everything was done on the floor. If it wasn't anything that had to do with paint, gas, etc... I would let down my tail gate of the truck. :thumbdow:

I called the company where I got my shingles for my house and WAS going to buy from them again. I gave the fellow all the info he needed to figure out how many squares of shingles I need. He said I needed 26 sqs of shingles. I asked was he sure about that and he said he was. Now this is a roofing supply store ONLY. They do this stuff everyday. Well about 15 minutes after I got off the phone he calls me back saying that he would have to special order the shingles. Then he says it will be $10 more per sq. I told him let me thank about it. I tried HomeDepot and they are getting my business. They are cheaper and not going to charge me the extra $10 even though they have to order them. But the kicker is they said I only needed 17 sqs!!!! I gave them the exact measurements as I gave the other company.

The last picture is the back...... where I ran out of plywood. :sign6: So I started running felt today. Just about to get in the dry.

A little bit of progress.

Attachments

• DSC03095.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 550
  • RH plywood .jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 569
  • DSC03118.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 543
  • Back 1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 547
I want this garage done by this Friday, the lift installed Saturday, and pictures of you working on your car on Sunday. Chop Chop now, you can do it! MMG

Hey Marland, that shop is looking GOOOOOOD!!! Now, if that's 26 SQ. of shingle, I'll eat my shingle nailer!!!. I should have checked this thread a little more to hear all the details, but me likey!!! The lift idea is tops, getting up from working off the floor is the only way to go!! I hope to see this puppy looking like Tony's in no time. Keep up the good work, and by golly, be careful!!! Geof

It's really according to what type of pour you're talking about. If is a turn down slab and has plumbing and electrical coming up through the concrete then the plumbing/electrical has to be inspected before the pour. The reason behind that is everything is under the concrete and they want to see how it ran, water or air must be applied to the water lines to show that they don't leak. After the inspection it is OK to cover the pipes, elec conduit with dirt. Turn down slabs has the walls sitting on the slab so yes it HAS to be poured first. In my case I'm using a curtain wall of block so inspection is not necessary at this moment. I have to show a termite letter, have all wiring roughed in with service panel, water has to be connected with psi/ or water on it, slab poured, brick completed, and all windows, doors, garage door has to be up, and shingled. "In the dry" another words.

Tell you truth I really want the pour to the last thing. I want to keep the concrete clean as possible so the floor exposy man won't have in troubles with mud, dirt, dust, oil on the floor.

I wouldn't mind doing for you. Where are you located?

Unfortunately I'm located in Southern California. :(

I want this garage done by this Friday, the lift installed Saturday, and pictures of you working on your car on Sunday. Chop Chop now, you can do it! MMG

^^^^^^^^

What Christopher said:director:

Looking sweet Marland!

Yall have fell and bump-ed Yalls heads!

Christopher ... shouldn't you be polishing that clock? lol

Check out this site, its never to late. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

I have been there few times.... thanks!

Hey Marland, that shop is looking GOOOOOOD!!! Now, if that's 26 SQ. of shingle, I'll eat my shingle nailer!!!. I should have checked this thread a little more to hear all the details, but me likey!!! The lift idea is tops, getting up from working off the floor is the only way to go!! I hope to see this puppy looking like Tony's in no time. Keep up the good work, and by golly, be careful!!! Geof

26 squares is alot of shingles!
It is hard to figure a hip roof system. I ran out of plywood! In order to figure it properly you have to be a mathematician. ](*,)
And then you have to allow for waste in which have to add that in. The guy at Home Depot seemed like a smart cookie. I took him the schematic of the shop and he broke it down and figured it out. The lady at the pro desk insisted he show her how to do it so it proceeded to show her by starting all over.

Roof is good :) Coming along nicely..

Grant

Yes it is but the heat is brutal. I always start major projects at the wrong times.

Unfortunately I'm located in Southern California. :(

That is bit of a drive for sure. :happy7:

Just think off all the motorcycles you could put in there! :toothy7:

How's the ankle doing?

Great progress.....You'll be safe from the elements in no time.

Thx for the kudos on the workbench. I was extremely happy how it turned out. Maybe poke around on craigslist in your area for a used bench....lots cheaper. I looked at the prices of new benches on the internet :shock: before I decided to try the powder. It's been holding up really well so far. Oh, and it's 34" from the floor to top of the work surface.

I'm not sure on prices of stainless tops, but that sounds like a great idea too!!

Just think off all the motorcycles you could put in there! :toothy7:

That's problem I have is buying stuff I don't need then I don't have any room. :cry:

How's the ankle doing?

I tell you what the days following it looked awful. My foot was blue looking up to my shin and had bad swelling. When I was installing trusses, and nailing the fascia off a ladder I had no problems with it. But after I got some plywood on and walking that 6 and 12 pitch it started hurting. I had to wrap it up again with a Ace bandage and where it for a couple days. Walking that angle of the roof was bending it in away it didn't like. lol

Hmmm.. is it not ALWAYS hot in South Carolina? lol

Grant

In the winter time it's not hot. lol

It's 97 degrees now. I was on the roof just a few minutes ago putting down felt paper. I HAD to get down.... that heat reflecting off of that felt paper was not working at all. I think Im done for today.

I don't think I will ever complain about the cold winters again!!

A friend was telling me about when he was working with a construction company building a dam. The dam is located 30 miles north of me. He said that it was so cold that icicles was forming on his hard hat. His feet and hands was felt like ice. He had to reach up ever so often and knock them off so he could see. There was a mist in the air because of the near by river being diverted. All the workers was huddled around the fire barrels and not getting anything done. He looked up at the top of the hill and saw the boss man coming down the hill kicking over the fire barrels and telling everyone to get back to work. My friend waited until the boss got to his fire barrel so he could stay warm just a few more minutes instead of getting back to work. He told his boss to shove it and went home. lol

Great progress.....You'll be safe from the elements in no time.

Thx for the kudos on the workbench. I was extremely happy how it turned out. Maybe poke around on craigslist in your area for a used bench....lots cheaper. I looked at the prices of new benches on the internet :shock: before I decided to try the powder. It's been holding up really well so far. Oh, and it's 34" from the floor to top of the work surface.

I'm not sure on prices of stainless tops, but that sounds like a great idea too!!

Thanks for getting that measurement for me. I thought it was less than 36" but not 100% sure. 36" is a little to high in my book but I guess its according how tall you are. I will start looking once I get around to it. I have been afraid to look on the internet because of sticker shock. Now since you have told me your experience I don't think I will waist my time looking. I know a welder... I might give him some measurements in the fashion of your work bench and see what he says far as price wise. I could just get him to weld up the legs and bracing then I could build something for the tops. I don't know.... I need to learn how to weld anyways. I can get a hold of a stick welder but every time I use it that's all it does is "stick". lol I want to borrow my boss's wire fed welder... I think I could do better with that.

I installed the waste plumbing today in which wasn’t too bad. I went ahead and planned for a toilet. I wasn’t initially going to install one but got to thinking…. Heck why not!! I am going to wait until later to install the water supply lines because I’m afraid they will freeze. Duh huh yeah … RIGHT!! Nah those will come later. I’m trying to get my concrete poured, the entrance door installed, as well as the garage door. When I get those three things accomplished I can install the A/C unit. That way I can do everything in the nice cool A/C. Now by that time I will switch on the heat!! I hope not… I know I’m slow but hopefully not that slow. It all depends however.

Started busting up the concrete in my driveway. Notice how much got done? I am placing the busted up pieces in the shop and using it for fill. Its got to go somewhere.

The blue caulk line is where the dirt needs to come up too. I'm most definitely going to need more dirt/fill unless my concrete driveway scrap will save the day. After I got the plumbing finished I started to throw some dirt over it. I wanted to make sure the pipe didn't have concrete or dirt clauds touching it. I have been letting water slowly pack the dirt down as I go. I it amazing what a little water will do. The dirt sank a good bit after getting a good soaking.

Forgot to mention IT WAS HOT!!
It did rain however and it was bone dry. My felt didn't leak:-|

Attachments

• Blue line 2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 454
  • Blue line 1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 486
  • Sink pipe.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 472
  • Drain stub out.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 472
  • Drain side.jpg