My New Toy 1968 Barracuda Fastback Formula S

-
Put a thin coat of Dolphin Glaze over the quarters to fill in some of the bigger scratches, I also need to put a thin coat on the roof, some deeper scratches there as well. Just about done with all the body work still have some blocking to do. Planning on getting it painted this year we'll see.

258.JPG

259.JPG

260.JPG

Last edited:
Body work is all done. I did some blocking to the Dolphin Glaze on the roof and on the quarters, smooth as a baby's *** no more scratches and all the seam sealer has been applied. Weather here in Michigan is not the best right now but still hoping I can get it painted this year.

261.JPG

262.JPG

263.JPG

264.JPG

265.JPG

I was able to get the car up to the shop on Thursday before all the rain. We taped off all the bare metal areas on Friday and shot some 2k epoxy primer on them. Saturday will be a whole day of blocking and another coat of primer then with any luck Sunday will be a day of sealing and paint and clear. We'll see how it goes

267.JPG

271.JPG

272.JPG

273.JPG

275.JPG

281.JPG

286.JPG

284.JPG

Last edited:
10 hours of blocking and that was with some help, just about ready for paint. Plan is to seal it, paint it, and clear it today and just let it sit over night. Looking forward to bringing it home tomorrow weather permitting. Then just some wet sanding and wheeling and put it back together, of-coarse that's after a couple of day of detailing wow you talk about dusty.

293.JPG

294.JPG

295.JPG

296.JPG

289.JPG

290.JPG

291.JPG

In the booth first thing Sunday to finish taping, up on jack stands, and time to go. A nice coat of sealer, 4 coats of color, and two good coats of clear. 10 hours latter a finished product well for now anyway. I am going to bring it home today, a little wet sanding and some polishing when weather permits then time to put it back together.

304.JPG

312.JPG

319.JPG

325.JPG

330.JPG

334.JPG

335.JPG

336.JPG

Thank You all. It is finally back home and in the garage where it is safe, here in Michigan you never know what the weather is going to do. It snowed all morning till noon then it was nice and dry so I could bring it home (lucky for me) but everything worked out just fine. I need to do a little wet sanding and some polishing and then I can start putting it back together. I am very happy with the way it turned out, a lot of blocking hours but it was very well worth it.

338.JPG

339.JPG

341.JPG

342.JPG

343.JPG

344.JPG

That looks awesome!!! The body looks straight as an arrow.

By the way, the rivets you sent came today. Thank you again sir!!

Did a little wet sanding and wheeling yesterday, not finished yet but it is getting there. I could not wait to put the Barracuda and the formulas S emblems on the fender and even got the gas cap on. I like it!!!

345.JPG

346.JPG

347.JPG

348.JPG

349.JPG

350.JPG

What an awesome color…the prep work and planning has paid off! Looks great. I was reading that your color is EE1, very similar to B7 that my 69 was originally painted.

Nice work, I am almost to that point. All the masking and re-masking takes a long time!

Colder than HELL here in Michigan today, I don't think it ever got to 40* like the weather man predicted. Oh well I still had some time to get a little done, put the Barracuda and the formula S emblems on the drivers side fender, the rear view mirror on the door, and put the outside door handles on and hooked them up. The grill's are just kind of sitting there not bolted up yet, I just wanted to see how they would look. And I installed the trunk molding, and the Barracuda, and fish emblem. I like it again.

351.JPG

352.JPG

353.JPG

354.JPG

Car looks super nice. If you take it to car shows it will get a lot of attention being factory 340 and that dark blue fastback. Amazing how little rust that car had especially for that area of the country.

Yes I was at the Harper Cruise this year only problem was that I was car-less this year every other year I had my 66 Barracuda down there. I like that Cruise, it's nice and small and you can drive up and down Harper without standing in line for a long period of time. This car was found not far from my house and if you look at the beginning of this post it shows what it looked like when it was found and that it had not seen day light since 1984, so yes very little rust. This car will be at Harper next year, I am always at Rico's where Little Mack dead ends at Harper.

IMG_20180929_134519583.jpg

IMG_20180929_151057158_HDR.jpg

351.JPG

I went and saw Jim today over at Detroit Muscle Technologies, he is about 45 minutes from me and I picked up a few items that I was still missing. The grills and headlight doors are bolted and screwed on now, I installed the door locks and the trunk lock, and hooked up the front marker lights and the front parking lamps and the antenna is on. We here in Michigan are going to have some nice weather over the next week or so (50*) so I hope to get a little more done.

IMG_4114.JPG

IMG_4115.JPG

IMG_4116.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4118.JPG

Rolled my dash back today, my front speaker was damaged from trailering my car back and forth without the windshield in it when it got painted. Also a good time to pull the factory tach out since it did not work. I need to find a new speaker that I can install in there any suggestions would be appreciated and I am going to drive out to Hartland Michigan to Bob's Speedometer Service it's about an hour from me he said he will take care of the tach. Once those are taken care of then I can put the windshield back in.

Congrats on the 68 Formula S. I had one, and loved it. I got it from a guy that had raced it in pure stock. It still has the IHRA stickers on the quarter windows. Mine was blue on blue, and I still know where it is to this day.

I received my tach back today from Mr.heaterbox and being 70* here in Michigan it was a perfect day to re-install it back in the dash. It works like a charm, they had it for about 5 weeks and they do very nice work. Thanks to Steve (4spdragtop) for the tip on Mr.heaterbox I am very happy. By the way the repair price of $200.00 plus shipping back for a total of $230.00 was $400.00 cheaper than Bob's in Howell Michigan which is only about a 1/2 hour away from me. For those of you who are looking to get some work done I highly recommend Mr.heaterbox

IMG_4161.JPG

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

Looks awesome Bob! :thumbsup: Glad it all worked out. We got mid 60's here, it's beautiful out.
I received my tach back today from Mr.heaterbox and being 70* here in Michigan it was a perfect day to re-install it back in the dash. It works like a charm, they had it for about 5 weeks and they do very nice work. Thanks to Steve (4spdragtop) for the tip on Mr.heaterbox I am very happy. By the way the repair price of $200.00 plus shipping back for a total of $230.00 was $400.00 cheaper than Bob's in Howell Michigan which is only about a 1/2 hour away from me. For those of you who are looking to get some work done I highly recommend Mr.heaterbox

View attachment 1716216377

View attachment 1716216378

View attachment 1716216379

View attachment 1716216380

-
Back