Nate's 67 Barracuda FB build thread

-

evernite

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first Mopar from a one of my best friends. It was his first car but he had fallen in love with a notch parts car he picked up, in his quest to find parts for this one. He decided to sell the fastback to me if I wanted it and OHH I did. He gave me a real fair deal and is gonna help me restore it which its always good to have a friend willing to help you spin a wrench. It needs a lot of work but i think in the end it will be worth it. I had to sell my original love which was a 74 nova that I got when I was 17 when times got tight after having a baby and really regretted it ever since, but I always said if I had to do it all over again I would've went mopar.

View attachment 397177_20150215_151220.jpg

View attachment 340032_IMG_1333.jpg

View attachment 302592_IMG_1334.jpg

View attachment 250944_IMG_1338.jpg

I recently purchased my first Mopar from a one of my best friends. It was his first car but he had fallen in love with a notch parts car he picked up, in his quest to find parts for this one. He decided to sell the fastback to me if I wanted it and OHH I did. He gave me a real fair deal and is gonna help me restore it which its always good to have a friend willing to help you spin a wrench. It needs a lot of work but i think in the end it will be worth it. I had to sell my original love which was a 74 nova that I got when I was 17 when times got tight after having a baby and really regretted it ever since, but I always said if I had to do it all over again I would've went mopar.

fastbaqcks are kicka$$, fixer up and keeper:coffee2:

Almost everybody regrets selling their first car (unless it's some generic box on wheels). There's a bunch of the fastbacks on this site so you should be able to find a lot of info. Most of the guys that might give you a hard tine about the fact you loved a bowtie will do it in jest. - Looks like you're starting with a solid car but by the time you finish going through it you're likely to find plenty of issues. So what are your plans? Stock restoration? Drag car? Pro-street? Mild hop up? Daily driver?

Looks great! That is a nice first Mopar and your buddy will be jealous when you're done! As said, there are plenty of Barracuda builds here, so you should be able to find and learn anything you need.

Welcome to the site Nate! Looks like a great project car. Do you get to use that awesome garage in the photo?

Welcome from N FLA. I will be watching your build as I have a FB that I am trying to bring back to life. Good to have a friend to help you with the build.

Welcome Nate!

Best of Luck and above all else have fun.

I have owned my 69 FB since the mid 80's and recently got it back on the road.

Nice catch Nate. Sounds like you are new to Mopars and Barracudas so I'll throw my 2 cents in. Your car looks pretty complete and that is good. For instance, the horizontal trim pieces on the deck lid are very hard to find. The lower seems to be smashed but it probably can be straightened. In the 67 Barracuda world that piece is referred to as Unobtainium. Whatever you do, treat the shiny parts like they are gold. Not every single part you need is being reproduced but it's gotten better over the last 5 years. If you have questions or need anything just ask anyone here.

P.S. (and don't take offense)
A 67 cuda is a far better ride than a 74 Nova.

Hay Nate!
Welcome to FABO. I'm happy for your find and great choice in friends. If you need a question answered, this is the place. There are a lot of great people on here and some others as well, but if you do need answers about your 67 post them and we will respond as best as we can. I'm no expert and never will claim to be but I can guide you to some that have helped me plenty. As stated previously, SAVE EVERYTHING!!! DO NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY UNTIL YOUR DRIVING THE CAR. Trim is not an easy thing to acquire for these 67's there are rear trunk trim that is being made but from what I know of it, they don't fit perfect. Also they are only making the top piece. The lower one is close but not an exact match. Good luck and hopefully talk to you soon.

Thanks guys my plans are to do of course getting the rust out of it first I'm wanting a mean street car that I can take to sonic and cruise around in. My plans are mini tubs converting it to 4 speed (I really like the pistol grips and have always wanted one).I really hope to build a solid 408 stroker nothing too wild but enough to be fun. My dad recently put one in our 77 dodge pickup it was my great grandad's old fruit truck that he sold vegetables from on the side of the road. I love the heart pounding performance that truck has. I currently have a 318 in it now with a 904 and 8 3/4 rear end. Everything on the car is there thank goodness and some of the trim that wasn't on it my buddy gave me as part of the deal so I would at least have all the pieces since he had extras. I have been making a binder of the how to's from Fabo and actually I have a picture 1967 cuda's car on the outside I really love the look of yours a riffles cars. So I've been following yall's threads closely over the past couple months learning what I could along the way. I know these things take time and lots of money and glad to have a community of guys like yall to help me. I'll be posting some pics once I start really getting into it right now I'm trying to gather parts to get my little weekend projects together so I can try to tackle one thing at a time. Thanks

Oh and naw I don't get to use the garage that's the audi dealership actually where my buddy who owned the car worked. I'm actually an aircraft mechanic for Bombardier. For the time being I'm using my buddies shop it's big enough for both the cuda's and he has a 2 post lift to boot so we work on them on the weekends.

Welcome to the 67fb club!!!! Awesome choice of car, way better than that brand x thingie. Lol
Just ask if you need anything!:cheers:

Hat Nate! I got your PM, but I don't know what your using for the rotor size.
The one I went with when I did a drum to disk conversion was a 10 inch diameter.
anyways, here is what I ended up getting for wheel sizes, tires and the back spacing is also written on there.
The top portion is for the front and the rear one is below. Keep in mind that I have 10 inch drums in the back. Sorry about the first part of the picture but it got cut off. It says 15 not 5. L.O.L! I hope this helps you Buddy. Let me know.
Aaron

Attachments

• NEW download PIX 007.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 347
Hey you have a very nice car compared to my 67 fastback. The guy. That owned this car before me used it as a race car and lots of stuff was missing. I have spent most of the winter gathering missing parts from California to Georgia! I live in MS and I am going to start working on mine this summer as well. This site is great and these guys know what they're talking about. I will be looking forward to seeing your progress! Keep us posted.

ok well here is what is going on as of now. I was trying to back the car up to wash her down some and noticed that I don't have brakes (they're locked up) So I decided to buy the disc conversion for the front its an 11 in off a 73 dart sport. and for the time being I will be keeping the 9in on the rear until i can get the stuff to build my rear end (just freshening the rears up.) I cant figure out what wheel size to buy for the front I see people saying 4 1/2 backspacing but I've noticed that 15x7 normally come 4 bs and 15x8 come 4 1/2 bs. I'm really looking for just some bbp wheels to stick on it for the time being. Being that I'm not where near complete putting new nice rims on it will probably leave me with 4 rust pots by the time I'm done. What are y'all suggestions on this?

@ariffle it looks like you have 15x6 3" bs on 215/60's on the front and 15x8 4 1/4 bs with 255 60's on the rear. Is that right? the photo is a little hazy on my end and I cant expand it

@ariffle it looks like you have 15x6 3" bs on 215/60's on the front and 15x8 4 1/4 bs with 255 60's on the rear. Is that right? the photo is a little hazy on my end and I cant expand it

You are correct!
They fit excellent but I wouldn't go much bigger fir tire size on the rear if it has not been tubbed out or your spring purches haven't been moved in.
My car before I purchased it WAS a 1/8 mile drag car and was hacked up pretty good. I'm one of those dummies that converted it BACK to what it was prior to the race setup. MOSTLY anyways. My project began as a father son project so it was in no way going to remain heavily modified and have my son behind the wheel on the roads. Now it's just me on the project and my son once in awhile so I kind of wish I didn't put it back to original. (MOSTLY)
My son has no time as he is a fire fighter cadet in training and working on EMT qualifications at age 16. Sorry so long winded, but yes, that's the sizes. I will re-check to be 100% sure in a minute and repost.
Aaron...

Nate,
I just double checked and you are correct as to the sizes and back spacing on a car that has been put back to original suspension with exception of disk brake conversion up front. My rear drums are 10" drums and my front disks are 11". I hope this helps you out.

Welcome Nate, and 1967 cuda is right, theres a bunch of us on here, i have a 67, and a 68 fastbacks and love both of them! And remember questions are better than oh crap shouldnt done that! Good luck my freind!

Doug

Nate, I never fault a guy for selling parts on here and asking a bunch of money for them. It's one of the ways that some guys are able to finance their own builds. But don't depend solely upon the posts for parts advertised for sale. If you post within your thread about parts needed you may find some folks that have them and are willing to let go of them really cheap. I rarely advertise my extras but have sold a few items for next to nothing just to get them out of my way.

One of the thrills that I hope you'll be able to experience is running into fellow FABO members when you go to car events. Last year I went to an 'Old Geezer' nostalgia event at a drag strip in Iowa and ran into bcuda452. It's damn near like meeting family.

Thanks for the advice 1967 I could see that being common I don't normally say hey I'm gonna sell all my stuff but if I have extras and someone is in need I don't mind parting ways. Thanks a bunch ariffle Like I said I'm just trying to figure out what wheels will work. im thinking about buying some steelies for the time being just to get my brake conversion done because the rims if want are about 240 a piece and will probably be the last thing I buy.

I'm currently in search of floor pans for fronts, rears trunk extentions and a brake perportioning valve for my disc conversion. If any body has any of this stuff they would part with let me know.

I'm currently in search of floor pans for fronts, rears trunk extentions and a brake perportioning valve for my disc conversion. If any body has any of this stuff they would part with let me know.

It's not impossible to find used floor pans and trunk extensions, but most of the cars that have really good ones aren't being parted out. On a tight budget a lot of guys will fabricate their own rather than install used ones that already have some rust. You won't be the only person here that is making them.

Some times it's better to find a parts car that has as many of the parts you need rather than pick up parts one at a time. Aftermarket panels for Mopars rarely fit perfectly but they still work if keep in mind that you'll have to tweak them.

AMD is usually considered to be the company that makes the best fitting reproduction panels for Chrysler. There are also companies out there that have reproduced all of the exterior sheet metal in fiberglass.

Although I haven't dealt with him, I have heard that
FABO member elitecustombody is supposed to be able to hook guys up with really good deals on new sheet metal. You could send him a pm and check prices.

-
Back