Need advice and also a warning.

-
I think that's what i said. Filing a suit now would only drive the guy to seek counsel and they'd tell him to put a mechanics lien on it. Op doesn't even know if he owns the car he thinks he owns at this point. He needs to go see and take it from there imo. Doubtful he'd ever collect even if he won.

There is no way he could put a lien on the car, nothing has been done to the car. Absolutely nothing. Besides I already gave him $1500 for labor and $1100 in paint supplies. As well as $1500 in US cartoool parts.

I left out a lot of the douchebaggery out of the original post to keep it somewhat brief.

Originally, I was told there was a shop and a youtube channel and three guys working for him, etc. He was in the process of moving to a larger shop where he could put his lifts and all of his tool, blah blah blah. There is NO shop. It's one man in his garage at his house and three or four storage units that he's constantly late paying the rent on. We tried to go get the paint sample he sprayed for me one time. He said he left it at one of his storage units, so we went there. The attendant came out after several tries of the code and said his access had been revoked because he hadn't paid rent for three months. One of the 6 or 7 excuses he gave me for taking 4 months (maybe more) to spray a really crappy paint sample. More than once it got "lost in the mail" then it got sent back to him for insufficient postage. All BS.

I do appreciate the "other side of the story" because there are a lot of people that get work done and then don't pay. That's not me. I paid all of this in full back on July 17 2018.

The thing here is, he lied about everything from day one. He even had a female friend of his that does his paperwork to make it look more legit. Total scam.

There is no way he could put a lien on the car, nothing has been done to the car. Absolutely nothing. Besides I already gave him $1500 for labor and $1100 in paint supplies. As well as $1500 in US cartoool parts.

I left out a lot of the douchebaggery out of the original post to keep it somewhat brief.

Originally, I was told there was a shop and a youtube channel and three guys working for him, etc. He was in the process of moving to a larger shop where he could put his lifts and all of his tool, blah blah blah. There is NO shop. It's one man in his garage at his house and three or four storage units that he's constantly late paying the rent on. We tried to go get the paint sample he sprayed for me one time. He said he left it at one of his storage units, so we went there. The attendant came out after several tries of the code and said his access had been revoked because he hadn't paid rent for three months. One of the 6 or 7 excuses he gave me for taking 4 months (maybe more) to spray a really crappy paint sample. More than once it got "lost in the mail" then it got sent back to him for insufficient postage. All BS.

I do appreciate the "other side of the story" because there are a lot of people that get work done and then don't pay. That's not me. I paid all of this in full back on July 17 2018.

The thing here is, he lied about everything from day one. He even had a female friend of his that does his paperwork to make it look more legit. Total scam.

As a matter of fact. The reason it took so long to get the title was because someone else had already filed a lien on the car. He claimed that he didn't know and that he had the title. Yet, again, the title was "lost in the mail", "got sent to the wrong address". I'm thinking that the reason the VIN changed mid stream was because he sold a car he didn't own or already had a lien on it. So he switched our deal to a different VIN. That's how little access I've been able to get to the car, I can't even check the VIN......again.

F you too pal.
I'm sure you would, if I hired you. I can google stuff myself though.
Based on reality. If it wasn't for attorneys we wouldn't need attorneys.

Last edited:
Based on reality. If it wasn't for attorneys we wouldn't need attorneys.
I appreciate everyone's opinions and the other side fo the story, but this really isn't helpful.

I have however gotten some pretty good advice here and I may reach out to them for more details at some point.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and the other side fo the story, but this really isn't helpful.

I have however gotten some pretty good advice here and I may reach out to them for more details at some point.

You are right, my apologies.

oyu know if you make a small claims suit or give him a heads up he'll **** that car up before you get it, right?

oyu know if you make a small claims suit or give him a heads up he'll **** that car up before you get it, right?

Anything is possible. A lawsuit should always be a last resort. Hopefully he can get his property back with a police assist, as you suggested.

What he did with the sale was criminal. I would go there with the police and ask for your car or at least to see it to confirm it exists. I don't believe it does. You are holding all the cards with those receipts. Do not give them to the police make copies. You need to confront this ASAP. That first receipt puts him in jail for fraud. The second is grand theft. The local police are probably waiting for someone to come forward with evidence on this guy. You are not the only one . They start off small and grow as they get away with things. Get in your car and go to the police. Ask for a criminal Detective and make the report.

Im not telling you to do this but.... if it were me I would kidnap him and pull his teeth out with pliers. Then cut off his arms and legs and drop him in a river.
Sounds like he is robbing you, plain and simple. If the title you have does not match the car then your out of luck. All you have is a title for a car that may or may not exist.

Im not telling you to do this but.... if it were me I would kidnap him and pull his teeth out with pliers. Then cut off his arms and legs and drop him in a river.
Sounds like he is robbing you, plain and simple. If the title you have does not match the car then your out of luck. All you have is a title for a car that may or may not exist.

Haha, pull a Ray Donovan? Showtime series. that would probably make me feel better for a half second. LOL

What he did with the sale was criminal. I would go there with the police and ask for your car or at least to see it to confirm it exists. I don't believe it does. You are holding all the cards with those receipts. Do not give them to the police make copies. You need to confront this ASAP. That first receipt puts him in jail for fraud. The second is grand theft. The local police are probably waiting for someone to come forward with evidence on this guy. You are not the only one . They start off small and grow as they get away with things. Get in your car and go to the police. Ask for a criminal Detective and make the report.

Yes, My first move will be to get the police involve and go there with the receipts and title, etc.

Anything is possible. A lawsuit should always be a last resort. Hopefully he can get his property back with a police assist, as you suggested.

I thought the baseball bat was the last resort?

Crawsfire how do you think the garage owner is gonna claim work has been done when superbee6 produces receipts totaling over $10000 and the police look at a roller with no motor or tranny and a shity paint job on a car not matching the title vins. To me it would be open and shut case of possible car theft on the garage owner, if he sells a car with the wrong title ,thats grand theft auto, not to mention civil law suit ,this is a case for the police to dig deeper and see what this chop shop has been up to.

After weekly complaints to him about not having a title, I finally got the title over a year later. The title was a different VIN from the first BOS. He sent me a second BOS and claimed that he gave me a BOS with the wrong VIN the first time. It had been so long by then I couldn't remember for sure if I had matched the VIN on the BOS and the body at that time. I'm pretty sure I did. What he didn't tell me was that he didn't have the title from the very beginning, some shady deal that it was his dad's car and someone had a lien on the title etc, etc.

superbee6, have you physically seen the car and checked the VIN?
The 3 main VIN locations for your '70 Challenger are the plate on the dashboard, on the top of the cowl just to the driver's side of the wiper screen opening, and on the top of the radiator support.

3-Cowl-Radiator-VIN.jpg

My '69 Dart also had the VIN stamped underneath the rubber trunk gasket but I'm not sure this location carried forward to E-bodies.

I'm sure you would, if I hired you. I can google stuff myself though.

Please feel free. As the saying goes, a man who represents himself (in legal matters) has a fool for a client. My business has been built in good part saving people who thought they didn't need a lawyer and then finding themselves in serious trouble because of it. I am sure the lawyers in your area aren't much different, and will appreciate your future business.

crawfsh.JPG

You have a bill of sale and a title. he issued it to you. Its up to him to produce the vehicle.
with police involved,it will if anything put this guy out of business for a while.

good luck, car guys should never screw over their brethren..

Had a guy refuse to ship a plasma cutter after I bought it on fleabay.

After two weeks of nothing I got to Atlanta where he lived, called the local DA and told him I was getting my stuff. He told me to call him if I needed assistance.

Got my plasma cutter and drove home to WI.

superbee6, have you physically seen the car and checked the VIN?
The 3 main VIN locations for your '70 Challenger are the plate on the dashboard, on the top of the cowl just to the driver's side of the wiper screen opening, and on the top of the radiator support.

View attachment 1715427050

My '69 Dart also had the VIN stamped underneath the rubber trunk gasket but I'm not sure this location carried forward to E-bodies.

When I first purchased the car, I was pretty sure we checked that. I can't remember for sure, it was so long ago. It is something I would do. Since the VIN "mixup" and he's provided me with a title of a different VIN and new BOS, I've only been able to see the cowl number. and by picture only. I can't get access to the car. He claimed that the rad support VIN was not there but that the factory was inconsistent in placing the rad support VIN (I think that's BS). He claims that the car has never been wrecked and the rad support replaced. The dash pad was in "storage" so I haven't gotten access to that either.

Please feel free. As the saying goes, a man who represents himself (in legal matters) has a fool for a client. My business has been built in good part saving people who thought they didn't need a lawyer and then finding themselves in serious trouble because of it. I am sure the lawyers in your area aren't much different, and will appreciate your future business.

View attachment 1715427082
Oh man, I would never begin to try to represent myself. I have looked around here and on yelp for lawyers but I don't really know who to call. I see lots that focus in one area like real estate. I'll PM you possibly at some point, do you know anyone up here ins San Jose?

Had a guy refuse to ship a plasma cutter after I bought it on fleabay.

After two weeks of nothing I got to Atlanta where he lived, called the local DA and told him I was getting my stuff. He told me to call him if I needed assistance.

Got my plasma cutter and drove home to WI.

Nice. I'm just hoping that the car is a roller. If he has it on the rotisserie, I don't know how I'm going to get it.

Main problem I see here, is-

Are we sure he really does "own the car"?

If the title doesn't match....

I'd have not put 1 dollar into a car I didn't have a clear title for.

View attachment 1715427082
You sound like a used car salesman. If you want to debate this take it to PM. thanks

-
Back