Need Advice, Suggestions

-
Wow....Yes the 5 leaf spring goes on the pass. side. Pinion angle is more then likely the main issue. I have to believe those perches were welded on off the car (guessing to be close) and not mocked up on your car for a close angle. In my opinion that's too far off to shim and will likely need them cut off and installed in the proper place. I think you should talk to Gary about replacing that shaft with a modern one piece while your doing this. I can't speak to a direct replacement from another car because i'm not real familiar with the early A body's. Someone here will surely know if and what other model shafts would work.

Wow....Yes the 5 leaf spring goes on the pass. side. Pinion angle is more then likely the main issue. I have to believe those perches were welded on off the car (guessing to be close) and not mocked up on your car for a close angle. In my opinion that's too far off to shim and will likely need them cut off and installed in the proper place. I think you should talk to Gary about replacing that shaft with a modern one piece while your doing this. I can't speak to a direct replacement from another car because i'm not real familiar with the early A body's. Someone here will surely know if and what other model shafts would work.

Gary told me today that he wants to replace the driveshaft with a one piece w/ spicer u joints.. he also said he wants to remove the rear end and redo the spring perches... that being said, should i tell him to change the springs so they are on the correct sides??? as I said he was not familar with the concept of 5 leaf on right 4 leaf on left...

Gary told me today that he wants to replace the driveshaft with a one piece w/ spicer u joints.. he also said he wants to remove the rear end and redo the spring perches... that being said, should i tell him to change the springs so they are on the correct sides??? as I said he was not familar with the concept of 5 leaf on right 4 leaf on left...

Yes on the spring change. The reason for the heavy right spring is because the rear housing tries to torque load (twist). The pass. side wheel wants to go up and the drivers side wants to go down. That's why open rear cars, no sure grip, posi, trac loc, always spin just the right wheel. This tries to correct that by evening out the load. Many bigblock 4spd cars were equipped from the factory this way. Your right rear will sit a hair higher, but it's not a big deal. Some people with just cruising cars like to to use 2 rights or 2 lefts for a even stance, but you have these and i would keep them.

Yes on the spring change. The reason for the heavy right spring is because the rear housing tries to torque load (twist). The pass. side wheel wants to go up and the drivers side wants to go down. That's why open rear cars, no sure grip, posi, trac loc, always spin just the right wheel. This tries to correct that by evening out the load. Many bigblock 4spd cars were equipped from the factory this way. Your right rear will sit a hair higher, but it's not a big deal. Some people with just cruising cars like to to use 2 rights or 2 lefts for a even stance, but you have these and i would keep them.

Thanks for your input Rick..much appreciated!

Thanks for your input Rick..much appreciated!

Yes sir. Just sorry it's gonna take some more cash to get it right. But it'll get there. I'm not sure if there's any value in that original shaft for someone doing a resto, but i'd hang on to it just incase.......maybe a few bucks in it to offset your new costs.

Not one of you in particular OMR, but all the diagnosing and then the double work and the driveline shop calling things what they aren't, johnmucci you have a single driveshaft that is a detroit ball style because you have a non slip yoke trans , you do not have a 2 pc shaft. What you want is for them to make it a stub slip style adding the stub slip to your existing shaft with a flange, still a regular 1pc driveshaft

This poor guy is getting killed.
Vibrations are checked with the car/truck complete, the minute you remove one piece you CHANGE everything, removing any part can simply be removing the part that is transferring it or moving it, and you'll be like my latest customer that another shop had him change his front and rear diff, then the t-case, then the rzeppa that i mentioned wasn't bad, then the shop said i changed the wrong one, then i told him i checked both and said the rear rzeppa wasn't bad and the front is fine, so then i said bring the entire car since i figured i was dealing with parts changers, then i found out that the asshat non mechanics haven't a clue and should be washing dishes and his front drive axle is the issue, but removing the front shaft removed the part that transferred the noise and without it in the vehicle it also put no load on the front axle keeping the noise he was originally looking for from showing up.

motors vibrate in nuetral, park, in gear and on engine stands if they have a problem and will not have a issue at only 20 to 40 mph.
Either the shaft is not balanced or not balanced correctly, and as for the pin angle, if it is at 14 degrees then faster than 40 mph you should want to D I E, at 14 degrees off that should be deadly

Just caught your thread John.It sounds like your pinion angle has been the culprit all along(-14??WTF?)Your gonna need to remove the perches and re-install at -3,swap your leafs and you should be good to go after swapping your power steering pump.The 1966 Darts didn,t come with the Trunion driveshafts,that ended in 1965.FYI.Happy motoring.

Gary told me today that he wants to replace the driveshaft with a one piece w/ spicer u joints
Detroits didn't come in lots of things, however people using the wrong trans rather than use the right trans or lose the bad version they did dopey things, his driveline shop told him 2pc... no dart ever had a 2pc shaft including the large 60 dart

Hi Everyone, well I got my car back from Gary's driveline and its great!!!!!.. he pulled the rear end, rewelded new spring perches in the right places. Then he put the springs on the correct sides, added a partial leaf to the left side, made a new modern driveshaft with spicer u joints, then he took it to his frt end guy and had the torsion bars raised and the frt end aligned and guess what??? The Car rides GREAT!!!!!! NO Vibration at all, he even got the headers to clear in a couple of spots where they were hitting with out banging the headers!!! I couldn't be any happier!!!! He told me to take the driveshaft that the guy in west palm beach butchered(they didn't cut it to the correct length, it was too long, and stick it up his a**... now its great...80mph on the highway, no vibration at all.....nothing......the guy i bought the rear housing from either got it from someone else or someone had welded the spring perches wrong...anyway its great and thanks for all your inputs on this issue......regards, John

Hi Everyone, well I got my car back from Gary's driveline and its great!!!!!.. he pulled the rear end, rewelded new spring perches in the right places. Then he put the springs on the correct sides, added a partial leaf to the left side, made a new modern driveshaft with spicer u joints, then he took it to his frt end guy and had the torsion bars raised and the frt end aligned and guess what??? The Car rides GREAT!!!!!! NO Vibration at all, he even got the headers to clear in a couple of spots where they were hitting with out banging the headers!!! I couldn't be any happier!!!! He told me to take the driveshaft that the guy in west palm beach butchered(they didn't cut it to the correct length, it was too long, and stick it up his a**... now its great...80mph on the highway, no vibration at all.....nothing......the guy i bought the rear housing from either got it from someone else or someone had welded the spring perches wrong...anyway its great and thanks for all your inputs on this issue......regards, John

Glad to hear you got it figured out and now everything is working great.

Glad to hear your finally enjoying your 360,d 66 Dart.:cheers:Now tell us how you like the 360 performance over a 273?:burnout:

Great to hear you got everthing straighted out. Gary sounds like he runs a good shop. Nice that he wasn't too far away. The weather will be cooling down in a few months and now you can enjoy some nice long cruises:thumblef:.

-
Back