Need front end alignment now here in Wheeling Il!

-

65cudalover

Reaction score
Ok my Chicago area new friends I now very much need some help! I came home from work today went out to the Cuda to get out some of my extra parts and goodies and saw that the right front tire was flat. Looking close the left and right are both showing the radial metal! It is obvious my ride home from maryland was the end to these tires and lucky to say the least! My friend told me they had tightend the front end up and did some adjustments, it seems obvious to me now they messed up the alignment for sure! It was wanting to pull to the right when going fast but going slow seemed ok! I thought it was due to old radials and sitting for so long the tires were just done! I have a set of rally wheels that were the ones to be used when going the nest step, so it seems now instead of later is reality! The front are 14inch 5.5 3.75 BS and back are 14 inch 6.0 4.0BS so obviously the front a bit less wide than back. I need a name of a place to take my baby to close to me here in Wheeling as now with the flat tire on drivers side, I figure fix a flat will not get me too far? i need 4 tires and alignment for sure at a decent price as I am down to the bone, saving money for getting married in the spring! I seek your help with the name of one I can trust and can do the work reliably! I will post some pictures soon as I get some time and a decent day to take them! I do appreciate any help from fellow mopar lovers here in my new home and look forward to meeting some when summer comes and we have hang outs!

Gregg R

I had firestone do mine. Is the pulling during driving or during braking? I'm in Schuamburg. It sounds like tie rod are either wore out or not adjusted properly.I'm sure you can get a decent set of tires cheap on craigslist,that's where I go in a pinch.

The entire front end is new, all new parts including a disc brske conversion set up! I know it is just a combo of the bad older tires and poor set up, sitting for a long time! I am now working on finding tires to out on rally wheels so I can get it to a front end shop for re-alignment! The 318 runs great three pumps on gas pedal and it starts every time like a Mopar should! Just looking for the right places to get work done by people I can trust! Tires and alignment seem simple enough but one must be careful!

Gregg

I had my gtx done at my local long established tire shop, it created a stir as all the employees had to get a look see. They treated it with kid gloves. The older guy who did it said it was sooo much nicer to do a car like mine than a newer one.

Have you considered aligning it yourself? I can find a couple of threads on here, if you're interested.

You need

1 Someplace that is flat and level, or stable enough that you can block up the tires to make everything level. I "don't" so when I align mine, I'm planning to block up my car trailer so the bed is level, and I won't have to crawl around on the floor, either

2--Turning plates for the front tires, all kinds of cheap ways. Greased sheet metal plates, some sort of tile, someone even says they use salt between them for "bearings."

3--Best to buy a caster / camber gauge, there are lots of those available. I was lucky enough to find an old used Ammco one at a garage sale, along with Ammco turning plates and "most of" an optical toe gage

2whi33r.jpg

4--Some method of marking the front tires to get toe measurements, and of course a tape/ stick/ etc to use as a toe gauge.

5--Last, don't use the original specs for Radial tires, from All Par is pretty much accepted:

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/front-end-alignment.html

The huge key to this article is the "skosh chart"

289d4j7.jpg

and if you have no shop manual, closest we can get that I know of is a 66:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1966_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

Toe-in causes that wear and is easy to get close using a tape measure. Many instructions on the web. If the problem was too much camber (leaning in), it would be very noticeable. Radial tires are forgiving of that.

My Alignment tech is top notch if you can get here before the snow flies I can get it done. I would need an idea of specs though. My shop is in Schiller Park by O'Hare airport and I can do it for relatively cheap compared to the other shops around here.

First I wish to thank all for the help here as always I get good help, plenty of great information and of course wonderful Mopar lover tech! The 65 Formula S now has nice new tires on the ralley wheels with the neat center hub on it, done at Firestone in Mt Prospect only 3.5 miles from my apartment. My soon to be wife assisted by utilizing her free towing AAA and it was simple. My baby is now aligned and amazingly driving straight as an arrow when I drove it back home and covered it up! For now just resting and waiting for good weather to cruise and hang out with my soon be be fellow Mopar friends here in Chicago area! I now just need the list of places and times of where to hang out with my baby! Soon as we get some nice days I will get out the digital camera and post some pictures. She does need a paint job next, though it is what it is! But I will take anyone on in a straight line! LOL It runs a 15 sec 1/4 mile like I said before nothing to get crazy but reliable! Everyone Have a Merry Christmas! Hanukkah is over but we enjoyed it and my present is here!

65Cuda Lover!

-
Back