New Edy heads, poor quality control what to do

-
Summit will take them back if they were not installed for a full refund but there is a time limit. I would not accept those heads if they have the amount of core shift you say they have. I would think Edelbrock would do you good, just be polite and nice to them and they should be able to get you a good set.

There are a lot of people out there that are running Edelbrocks right out of the box. But to be safe they need to be looked over. My local shop quoted me $250 to go over the valve job, check and correct the guide clearance, some minor bowl blending, and port match. My local shop told me that Edelbrocks are the highest quality aftermarket heads compared to others they get. Every after market head should be gone over before being installed.

Another route to take is just buy some Edelbrocks already prepped from Shady Dell, Indio Motor Machine, or Moper or even your local shop. My local shop will match Summits prices then they own the headaches not me.

Like always,a good machinist is worth every penny,and then some if he is good.

What ever you decide, I'm sure you've done your homework
before you invested your money and decided Eddy got the nod.
They are a good piece and available.
Maybe its just a fluke you got the one that got through QC.
Theres a lot of them out there running with no problems.
What ever happens, you caught the problem and will correct it
before a problem could arise.
Thats what a professinal does.
I'm sure your machine will be a monster to be reconned with
do to your forethought and dilligence.
Sorry about the bling comment, it was uncalled for.

I sent pics to Edelbrock. They wrote back and said they were not happy with the quality and had me return the heads to them.

i would never recommend running a set of edelbrock mopar heads, i purchased mine BNIB, with a bright yellow sticker on the box that stated "bolt on, no machine work required"

well..........86 ports were "twisted" and didnt even have .050 on the runner walls, the springs had 4 shims and not even 90lbs seat pressure, they also needed to be resurfaced they were not true. the valves need a grind, and the pushrod holes needed to be redrilled. not to mention almost all the holes were helicoiled.

heres a pic of the ports the way they came from the box. i called a REP over the issue, and he said to me "chevy heads are our #1 seller, we dont have nearly as strict quality control on the ford/mopar heads, sorry but i dont see an issue, just minor clean up with a dremel." i noted the sticker "bolt on and go, no machine work required"....needless to say, it cost me $1200 in machine work to have them fixed, upon the $1600 purchase price.

AFTER the work

crap time for at least a visual inspection on mine first, if all is ok then to a further inspection....some pretty horrid storys of these heads...got me a lottle spooked to say the least

:burnout:Do yourself a favor, go to your engine builder & have him get you a set of Eddy's as cast, if thats what you want, & have him install all the guides, seats ,etc. . You will have great heads with NO complications. Every shop can get blank heads & build to YOUR spec's for the same amount you will waste on a out the box set, and be up & running. On a side note, my machinist can get more flo out of a set of iron J heads than you'll get out a set of Indy's with thier so called cnc porting. What everyone said about after market heads is true, all have poor QC, even on the Chevy stuff. Spend your money wisely and it will reward you in the end!

Why are people still buying these "assembled"?

Just because eddy says "run them out of box, no machine work required" (or whatever the exact claim is) you simply shouldn't. Why would Edelbrock take ownership of product issues on pieces they create "as a favor" to the mopar crowd. I can see why they sort-of don't care. Hillbilly Chevelle owners are their bread'n'butter.

It seems to me buying them bare, looking them over, getting the dremel out, and having A REPUTABLE MACHINE SHOP assemble them (with quality parts of your choice) is the logical choice to save time, money, and aspirin.

Why are people still buying these "assembled"?

Just because eddy says "run them out of box, no machine work required" (or whatever the exact claim is) you simply shouldn't. Why would Edelbrock take ownership of product issues on pieces they create "as a favor" to the mopar crowd. I can see why they sort-of don't care. Hillbilly Chevelle owners are their bread'n'butter.

It seems to me buying them bare, looking them over, getting the dremel out, and having A REPUTABLE MACHINE SHOP assemble them (with quality parts of your choice) is the logical choice to save time, money, and aspirin.
I'm not a hillbilly and I own a Chevelle (Hell it's my very first car, never getting rid of it). I'd still buy edelbrock parts without a second thought. That being said, none of the fore mentioned problems were on my 60779 Heads for my 340

It is unfortunate that most aftermarket heads can't deliever as advertised

As a rule of thumb I always have my engine builder good through any aluminum heads I buy. they always have somthing wrong with them it may cost a little more but its better then rolling the dice with your engine.

Its rare to find anything these days thats ready to go right out of the box. Everything needs something. And if you did have something that was perfect, most people would whine and complain that it cost to much.

I get people calling me for a set of Eddy heads and complain "I can get that cheaper from Summit". Even after I explain that they dont leave my shop until I go thru them and make them right. Then they have the balls to order them from Summit and call me complaining about this and that, yet they still dont want to spend a dime for me to fix them. Sorry about your luck, call Summit and see if they will help you out HAHAHA Fat chance there.

I like the Eddy heads. They have a ton of potential. To this date I have 2 Stroker small blocks out there making well over 600hp(one is a member on here making over 650HP) with the RPM heads, no issues at all. Trust me, I would get calls if there were.

Its rare to find anything these days thats ready to go right out of the box. Everything needs something. And if you did have something that was perfect, most people would whine and complain that it cost to much.

I like the Eddy heads. They have a ton of potential. To this date I have 2 Stroker small blocks out there making well over 600hp(one is a member on here making over 650HP) with the RPM heads, no issues at all.

x2 on everything you said. If you are spending the cash, GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR and have them corrected by a shop that does high performance work.
I've got 3 strokers with them in various configurations, from 460-600hp, none ever had head issues.

-
Back